Do I Need Permission To Take Photos?

I shoot Street. If you shoot Street, do so with respect. I think you recognized this aspect as you also want to tell THEIR story. The problem with shooting the homeless is to do so, without being exploitive. I have removed all homeless images from my photosite because I wasn't showing their side of the story. (As a former photojournalist, I recognized the one-sidedness of my images. My photos did not address the homeless side ... my photos did not tell the homeless side of the story ... so I removed them.)

Immersing yourself into the story, showing and telling the homeless side of the story is great. Go for it, do it right. I recognized that what you are doing, by engaging the homeless, is what I needed to do ... but unwilling to do so (for a variety of reasons).

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies, they are much appreciated!

I just wanted to clarify and point out a few things.

First, as I mentioned in my original post, though it may have been overlooked, I have actually spent the last few years of my life working with the homeless population, both directly out on the streets handing out care bags filled with needed supplies, and through organizations in my city. On a more personal note, I have, in the past, experienced homelessnes myself when I lost my job, and as a snowball effect, lost everything I owned. So I can relate.

Second, this is definitely not to exploit the homeless population in any way whatsoever, I would never do that having come from where so many of them are now; it is to bring awareness to their situation. Having spent so much time on the streets working with this population, and at one time being a part of it, I have seen and heard so many stories of how the homeless are simply ignored and viewed, by both citizens and government officials, as simply an eye-sore and a nuscience. My city has the means to improve available resources, but haven't, and resources are understaffed and overfilled, and the homeless suffer as a result. The point, and the goal, of the project that I would like to do is to create a platform for people to view the homeless population in a different light. To have people who have never been in that situation, and find it hard to imagine what it's like, to be able to take just a moment to read their story, look at their photo, and really *see* them in a different light.

I hope that clears up my intentions for this project. :)

Good luck and good shooting. Just to echo others, using the photos in a non-commercial, editorial manner precludes you from having to secure any releases from those you shoot and publish.

Whether they sign anything or not, ask their permission to take and use their photograph. So many decisions are made FOR homeless people, and even the most well-intentioned help can often have the effect of giving them even less of a voice. If someone does or doesn't want their photograph taken, let that person decide. There are so many other things in their lives that they have no power over, and I think they should be allowed to retain what little voice they have left and make the decision for themselves rather than journalists or photographers making the decision for them (whether that be to take or not to take the photograph.)

It's one thing to bring awareness, but very often, we become aware of a problem, feel bad about it, and then move onto the next thing. The question is, how can "awareness" bring about change? More often than not, of course, the answer is money. So do you want to give the subjects of the photograph a small one-shot amount? Or is there something that can be more lasting?

If you are putting the images online, is there the thought to perhaps put a link to a place where people can donate money to the local shelter if they choose? Or maybe also, a link to sign a petition to the state representative for help/funding for the shelter or the social services office. I would take advantage of all the crowd-sourcing/funding opportunities that are available to pair that awareness with some action.

Thank you all for your replies, they are much appreciated!

I just wanted to clarify and point out a few things.

First, as I mentioned in my original post, though it may have been overlooked, I have actually spent the last few years of my life working with the homeless population, both directly out on the streets handing out care bags filled with needed supplies, and through organizations in my city. On a more personal note, I have, in the past, experienced homelessnes myself when I lost my job, and as a snowball effect, lost everything I owned. So I can relate.

Second, this is definitely not to exploit the homeless population in any way whatsoever, I would never do that having come from where so many of them are now; it is to bring awareness to their situation. Having spent so much time on the streets working with this population, and at one time being a part of it, I have seen and heard so many stories of how the homeless are simply ignored and viewed, by both citizens and government officials, as simply an eye-sore and a nuscience. My city has the means to improve available resources, but haven't, and resources are understaffed and overfilled, and the homeless suffer as a result. The point, and the goal, of the project that I would like to do is to create a platform for people to view the homeless population in a different light. To have people who have never been in that situation, and find it hard to imagine what it's like, to be able to take just a moment to read their story, look at their photo, and really *see* them in a different light.

I think it is great what your doing. I won't get into the politics part other than to say I have lived your frustration. The group I volunteered with kept records and the results were very interesting to say the least. Reasons for homelessness were categorized by impairment, mental illness impairment, addiction, economic, and abuse. There may have been a couple others but these are what I recall. Irregardless of category, all where human beings that were in need. I applaud your effort and hopefully, someday as a society, we will get it together.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

First, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Second, the exact law on this matter will depend upon the state you're in.

Third, people talk about "editorial" but that really depends upon what we classify as editorial. It's one of those photography words like "edgy" that means different things to different people.

Generally speaking, as a photographer, you can take pictures of almost anything or anyone you want to and you own the photo. However, unless it's a public setting (with no reasonable expectation of privacy). OR....it's a newsworthy event (like a crash or a shooting or a meteor crashes in to someone's home). OR...it involves a public figure (with no reasonable expectation of normal privacy), you're expected to have a release to publish or sell that photo.

Now, just b/c you can legally take and sell a picture (b/c that homeless person is laying on a public sidewalk) doesn't mean it's in good form to do so. That issue is one that you have to resolve for yourself.

As a general rule, even if it's legal to shoot in that setting (and by "shoot" I really mean "sell/display/market the results of the pictures you take in that setting), it's good protocol to ask. That can avoid some ugliness of people demanding you destroy the photo or sending a goon over to take your camera or insisting you're breaking the law or getting angry and demanding to know what the purpose of the photos is for.

The point, and the goal, of the project that I would like to do is to create a platform for people to view the homeless population in a different light. To have people who have never been in that situation, and find it hard to imagine what it's like, to be able to take just a moment to read their story, look at their photo, and really *see* them in a different light.

To what end?

So no, it is not at all clear to me.

And you're not the only one around here to have done volunteer work on behalf of the homeless.

I will absolutely ask to take their photo, I will only be photographing them with their persmission. As I said, I will be sitting down and talking with them in addition to taking their photo; getting to know them and their story. This will not, nor will it ever be, a project in which I just snap their photo without their knowledge or permission and post it publicly. This is something I want them to feel comfortable with and fully agree to.

As I said in my first post, think "Humans of New York", but on a smaller, homeless-population-focused, level.

The point, and the goal, of the project that I would like to do is to create a platform for people to view the homeless population in a different light. To have people who have never been in that situation, and find it hard to imagine what it's like, to be able to take just a moment to read their story, look at their photo, and really *see* them in a different light.

To what end?

So no, it is not at all clear to me.

And you're not the only one around here to have done volunteer work on behalf of the homeless.

Sorry, I don't think I understand your question, could you clarify?

MODERATOR NOTICE

Lets stick to the topic of legalities and leave the moral argument for another thread. If you want to debate the topic of if you morally should take photos of the homeless PLEASE start a NEW thread to debate/discuss the topic.

Sorry, I don't think I understand your question, could you clarify?
O.K., to clarify; your attempt at clarification did not, in fact, clarify anything for me. What exactly is the POINT of "creating a platform"?

My question "To what end?" is a valid question in that I am asking what is to be gained by your efforts? Simply creating a platform apparently does nothing to ease the plight of the homeless, which is what one might hope for. If your project has no clearly defined goal, then what is the point? It is to glorify your own persona? Is it to give you practice at setting up a Facebook page? Is it to increase your chances at being gainfully employed at setting up Facebook pages?

The homeless are like snowflakes, no two are alike and all the attempts to lump "those people" into one group or other is nonsense. If you have been working with the homeless for "some time" you should know how to approach them. Nothing will work with some people and many homeless resent do gooders and will go out of their way to not do what you want, fearing they are being manipulated.
I had friends who lived just off Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood and a woman kept trying to sleep on their open porch. They would call the cops and the officers would say "now Martha, you know you have a perfectly good apartment and we're going to take you home." A few that look homeless, aren't.
I knew a homeless guy who lived in a 15-room penthouse. An office penthouse that a large company had moved out of and nobody (except him) had moved in yet. All his friends thought he had his own apartment.
Your face is your fortune, so to speak, and what might work wonders for me might fall flat on its face if you tried it You just to have to go out there and do it.
No good deed goes unpunished. I had a friend who felt real good when he helped a Kiwanis Club repair and re-paint old bikes to give to needy kids who could not afford a bike. They knocked on the door of the first home and the dad looked the bike over and said they'd pass, he thought maybe the kid could get a free new one if he waited.

Most reactions

Back