Do I sell my Nikon 24-70mm lens to purchase a 85mm prime?

Suziellen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have not been particularly impressed with the lack of bokeh from the 24-70mm. They are both spendy lenses and right now I can't afford to have both. Any thoughts or reviews on the 85mm vs the 24-70mm. I shoot mostly portraits and some landscape.

Any input would be great! Thank you!

Last edited:
how does the Nikon 24-70 do for landscapes?

I would say that it does well but honestly I haven't used it much for landscape as I shoot mostly portraits. I like having the different focal ranges though to pick up a large amount of landscape.

The 24-70 doesn't lack bokeh, but the bokeh it does make is not quite as smooth as the bokeh Nikon's 85 mm primes produce.
Nikon's 85 mm primes produce some of the smoothest 'Cream Cheese' type bokeh that can be had.

Note that the bokeh quality a lens produces is not adjustable. Bokeh is an inherent quality caused by lens design, and materials.

The 24-70 doesn't lack bokeh, but the bokeh it does make is not quite as smooth as the bokeh Nikon's 85 mm primes produce.
Nikon's 85 mm primes produce some of the smoothest 'Cream Cheese' type bokeh that can be had.

Note that the bokeh quality a lens produces is not adjustable. Bokeh is an inherent quality caused by lens design, and materials.

I guess I worded that incorrectly.

Why not just keep the 24-70 and get the 50mm 1.4G ? I love the bokeh my 50mm does. This way you can keep your 24-70 for the other 90% of the pictures you take.

I sold my Canon 24-70 f2.8 for the 35mm f1.4, it was a great decision. The 35 is such a great focal length for the kind of work I do, and it is so much sharper and has way better bokeh than the 24-70.

I believe that it is personal preference but if you're shooting portraits the 85mm focal length is awesome. I also love primes so that would be my pick.

The 24-70 is a jack of all trades and the 85 is a 1 trick pony. (H#ll of a tick though) I would need both

I have not been particularly impressed with the lack of bokeh from the 24-70mm. They are both spendy lenses and right now I can't afford to have both. Any thoughts or reviews on the 85mm vs the 24-70mm. I shoot mostly portraits and some landscape.

Any input would be great! Thank you!

You're missing some information to make a reasonable reply. Are you looking at the f/1.4? Have you considered the f/1.8? Are you looking at the G or D mount? What camera body will it be attached to?

NO...never sell off a "workhorse" pro zoom lens to buy a simple prime lens that has MULTIPLE alternatives in the same focal length. Who sells a $1699 wide-to-short tele, pro-grade lens that has tremendous utility, to pick up a one-trick pony lens??? One that costs $429 to $300 on the "low end"??? That's not a smart way to acquire gear, nor a good way to get rid of gear. KEEP the high-priced, pro-grade "utility" zoom lens, and start saving up some money to buy the lower-cost, prime lens. Then,after a while, you will own two lenses--one with tremendous flexibility, and one with a single,specific focal length, and high-speed aperture.

^ What Derrel said.

Keep that 24-70. It LIVES on my camera and I rarely change it.
You can scoop up a used 50 1.4G for 350ish. And I'm sure the same for an 85mm.

Save up the cash and acquire one when you can afford to.

Most reactions

Back