Do I still need this lens?

rwalsh81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Figured I'd go for the general group here to get some feedback. So after the advice I've been receiving I picked up the canon 10-18mm ultra wide lens got it as part of a kit with the 50mm prime which I also had my eye on. Now when I went to play with the 10-18mm I saw it can do some slight macro as can my 25-55mm which came with my camera. I also have the macro extension tubes (all 4 sizes). That being said do I really also no need my 50mm macro lens or is that just over kill at this point?

A dedicated 50mm has advantages due it will also likely be a faster aperture lens, which in real terms should be a better imager than your zooms

That I get but with a regular 50mm prime is a macro 50mm prime overkill?

That I get but with a regular 50mm prime is a macro 50mm prime overkill?

I may have misunderstood. If I had a 50mm prime and a 50mm macro prime, I'd get rid of the non macro one, ymmv

No problem, I may have given way too much information to make it confusing. I figured with two 50mm primes and two other lens that can do macro and having macro tubes the 50mm macro was over kill especially where it's only 1:2.5.

True macro lenses are blessed with a flat field in their design. That makes it easier to get sharp corners when focused up close. There isn't really any substitute for a real macro lens.

Now when I went to play with the 10-18mm I saw it can do some slight macro..
That's an awfully short macro.

And what do you mean by "slight" macro?

I don't know what kind of macro you're interested in, but that short focal length is going to be very limiting as to how you can use it. Add in the extension tubes, and you'll be practically touching the subject. Might be o.k. for coin marks, but for insects, I doubt if they will hold still for that close attempt.

Depending on what macros you want to do, having a variety of focal lengths might be a good thing. If you've got too many lenses in your bag, keep the good ones, sell the others.

i have a 105mm f/2.8 macro and a 105mm f/1.4 and I use each one for completely different purposes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back