Do I upgrade my nikon d70 or purchase a better lighting set?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have a nikon D70 and it takes beautifull pictures but as my business is growing I really want to be able to be able to provide larger portrait sizes. Currently I can pretty well count on a 16x20 and sometimes (it is a hit and miss kinds thing) I can blow up to 20x30. THis is great except for that I would like to very large family pictures like 30x40 or so. Also, I was using a continuouse light set and I absolutely hate it so I tried to go a cheaper route and bought and older strobe set (2 lights) that belonged to a retired photographer. To be honest they really aren't strong enough and alot of times I end up using my continous lights. Which problem should I address first, would better lights give me larger pictures and is the D70 model a good model. I am not exactly a beginner but definitely not a true professional yet so I really need some advice.

well your D70 is a great camera...

I say upgrade your lights first.

If you can't get the shot you want at all, then your camera is no good to you...

After you get your lights perfect, you might even find that's what was preventing you from enlarging in the first place.

An upgraded camera is not going to help much in improving your portrature. Lighting is your main element of greatest benefit.

That said, I would not consider a D70 a professional level camera, though it does give nice results.

Lights then camera... then action! :lmao:

I can blow up pretty good with my D70 on a single person or two people but 16x20 maxes me out on family pictures. I just got a 20x30 of my son and a 20x24 of my daughter that are crystal clear. My main problem is families and the fact that in studio portraits I cannot get a true white background. Can someone please advise me on what lighting set to start with(brand and how many lights I need) and what camera would you recommend. I am now shooting in either manuel or appature mode and understand those elements pretty well, I have also pretty much got down ISO but am still strugelling with white balance and dont understand anything about RAW. Sorry this is so long but I really want to upgrade my business.

1) start shooting RAW
2) fix the white balance in post, that's the beauty of RAW

Shooting RAW provides so much more flexibility you will wonder why yo never used it before.

As for a pure white background, we probably need a little more detail about you set up. Could be a white balance issue or a lighting problem, or maybe you are using a Neon pink backdrop.:lmao:

I can blow up pretty good with my D70 on a single person or two people but 16x20 maxes me out on family pictures. I just got a 20x30 of my son and a 20x24 of my daughter that are crystal clear. My main problem is families and the fact that in studio portraits I cannot get a true white background. Can someone please advise me on what lighting set to start with(brand and how many lights I need) and what camera would you recommend. I am now shooting in either manuel or appature mode and understand those elements pretty well, I have also pretty much got down ISO but am still strugelling with white balance and dont understand anything about RAW. Sorry this is so long but I really want to upgrade my business.

Genuine Fractals is much cheaper than a new camera, and works REALLY well... speaking as somebody who makes gianormous prints all the time...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back