Do Nikon Rumors actually know anything at all?

LungFish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon Rumors have been predicting a D7000 replacement since a few months after it was released. The rumors have got louder as the D7000 has got older, but without any real details predicted. Then Nikon announce a press conference at a time when most of their other camera lines are new and a D7100 is the obvious camera to be announced, so they run with that. A few days out from this press conference, when their two years of predictions are finally about to come true and NR are about to be vindicated for their guessing, they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by boldly announcing that the announcement will be a fixed lens camera.

Except it wasn't. It was the camera that pretty much everyone else in the world thought Nikon would announce. Nice detective work there. Why do I waste my time reading that site?

Do they ever claim to have 100% success?

Does the word RUMOR mean anything to you?

No one told you that you had to put all you faith in that site. Nothing on that site said that they claim to be 100% right.

Does the word RUMOR mean anything to you?

No one told you that you had to put all you faith in that site. Nothing on that site said that they claim to be 100% right.

Of course I wouldn't expect them to be 100% accurate, but I would expect them to be more accurate than a regular person taking a wild guess. Obviously you and Sparky are happy with their success rate.

The site give us hope that there is something new coming. If it was a official Nikon Site then you could be mad. The site even have a disclaimer on the bottom.

I suppose so, it just struck me as hilarious that they predicted the D7100 at every time other than when it was true

Nikon (and indeed Canon for that matter) don't have info leaks.

The companies are very tightly run and generally they don't let out info - rumour sites are thus generally very unreliable. Long term predictions are often very sketchy and unreliable. The only time they generally get rumours right is when an item is nearing its official information release day as then other news and key sites generally get info releases as well (ergo the number of people with info increases thus the number of potential reliable info slips is massively increased).

The rest of the time the rumour sites tend to focus on patterns of release behaviour in the companies history (eg if the company has released a new camera body on the same month every year chances are the rumour site will rumour that a new release is coming that month - again!). They also read the patents sites, however this can be iffy again since a company registering a patent isn't necessarily going to use it; furthermore at that stage of production its normally very early on and thus there is a significant time lag between the registration and any possible product (which might well undergo many revisions during that period of time).

As such rumour is really just rumour. Heck the Canon Rumours site has predicted a new 100-400mm lens for the last 10 years or so- one year they'll get it right (maybe ;)).

The reason there is a Nikon Rumor site is because people like us are hungry to know whats coming, we want to know if we should get that camera/Lens/Flash...etc or maybe its worth waiting few months for the upgrade item to come out.
We also simply enjoy talking and reading about these instruments that give us so much pleasure.

Rumor sites fill these 2 needs and thus are important.
We simply need to remember that as a rumor site the chances of them being right are not 100% and take everything there with a grain of salt or maybe with a grain of Mega Pixel LOL

NR is the National Enquirer for Nikon shooters.

It's not that hard to come up with rumors.

Here's a few for ya!

I predict a D7200 in the future!

I predict a D4X!

The D600's successor is just around the corner, 2014???

I predict that every phone manufacture will have a new flagship on the horizen with 3-5 months from now!

I predict that the number of transistors on integrated circuits, per square inch, will double in the next 18 months! Wait that's Moore's Law.

It's pretty easy to predict that new and improved products will emerge every 18-24 months with the current pace of evolution in technology.

It seems to me that 1yr+ out is like weather men telling a storm more than a month out... not too likely. Actually, NR is probably better at it because they can base some of it on logic. :)

Inside 6 months or so, they seem generally pretty close, but make mistakes. *shrug*

I look at it is more of a news portal with a bit of frantic psychic palm reading. :)

Nikon (and indeed Canon for that matter) don't have info leaks.

The companies are very tightly run and generally they don't let out info - rumour sites are thus generally very unreliable. Long term predictions are often very sketchy and unreliable. The only time they generally get rumours right is when an item is nearing its official information release day as then other news and key sites generally get info releases as well (ergo the number of people with info increases thus the number of potential reliable info slips is massively increased).

We'll.. im not sure i'd call Nikon and Canon 'tightly run' :). Heck.. even Apple has a hard time keeping things secret.

Once something starts production (before its released) things get leaked. Nikon Rumors had most of the info on the D600 a good month before it was released. There are times when Nikon screws up and inadvertently leaks info.. wasn't it the 40mm lens they let slip on the website weeks before its release?

Now if you excuse me... im off to read about the iPhone 6 and the Apple TV :)

I'm still waiting for the flying car that was predicted back in the '60s.

Most reactions

Back