DO NOT BECOME A PHOTOGRAPHER!

I'll give you my insight into the issue... right now, I'm 21, I've been running a small photo business on the side for a few years while going to school full time for engineering. I primarily shoot weddings & landscapes. Its by no means enough money to pay for school, but it definately helps. I probably shoot 4-5 weddings a year, and sell a couple hundred in prints. I don't work weekends (school or engineering) so why not make money doing something I really love to do (not that I don't like engineering)? I'll probably do photography on the weekends as a small suplimental income for the rest of my life. I would never rely on it alone but its something easy to add on.

Those that have been really successful have often been those with more than just photographic skills. A friend got into an oil company through his photographic skills but his executive skills got him quickly into the 100K plus bracket.

My background includes all areas: photography, television, audio, writing, editing, multimedia production and presentations and teaching. No competition with such a varied background.

skieur

Because it is very hard to make really good money doing it. I have been doing it for over 30 years, and at the end of this month, I am through with it. I started out as a photojournalist, then switched to architectural photography. I did that for over 20 years. And about 6 years ago I went back into the PJ biz. I also started shooting events- award banquets, corporate stuff, etc.

Being self employed can be a pain in the ass at times, plus having to deal with the IRS and so on. It has it's rewards as well, but being a working pro is a tough gig. After 30 years of it, I am calling it quits. I will still be involved with photography as a means of making money, but in a totally different way, and it will not be my only source of income.

Also, when you have to make a living doing something that you love, sometimes it is not as much fun as it was before. I never got into photography to make money- it just happened that way.

i totally agree with you, this is why i left computers businesses (10years) and got into photography.... let's see if in ten years more i become ... who knows... :mrgreen:

When I here negativity like that it makes me even more determined. I think those curmudgeons just think they are cool because they have been working so hard in a great field. Of course photography is a tough racket. And why would you listen to them?

There is plenty of work for photographers. Problem is you have to be really focused and really determined. More importantly your work has to stand out. Business and marketing helps, but should never take precedence over the photography.

I think the confusion comes in when people thing they are going to turn their passion or their art into a money making venture. Fact of the matter is just like any other business. You have to set goals and meet them. Saying I want to make 60k a year is fine. Just make sure you know how to do it before quitting your day job. Trust me. The money is not going to come to you. You must work for it.

Love & Bass

People study photography because its "fun", and I believe a lot of photography students are clueless as to what being a professional photographer is like.

NO KIDDING.

Which is why you need to get as involved in the photographic community as possible, on your own. Actively ask if you can even do small things such as assist, be a second shooter, or just stand in to see how they do something.

I signed up onto Portland's Strobist Flickr page in january or february.

Since then, i've met a ton of people who have been shooting professionally and I have had the opportunity to photograph with experienced models,and more sports (just did a mountain bike race this last sunday), and we even got some product in there where I was able to teach about 25 people how to shoot 2-plane product lighting.

It's a great hands-on learning experience for free, gives you EXPERIENCE, and allows you to meet some really awesome people who do the same things you do, shoot photos!!

Another thing you need are connections and people who not only you can work with, but can work with you when needed.

My girlfreind has been riding horses since she was 5, and has been deeply active in the horse racing community. She showed me pictures of her doing barrel racing and she told me how the shooters they have are inconsistent and flake out after a season or two.

After she was telling me about that, she had the most brilliant, and simple idea.

I shoot, hand her my memory cards over the course of the race, and when everyone is leaving at the end, we're both sitting on a table at the door with cards, other advertisement materials, and her laptop with all the proofs of the race on it so that people can see themselves, and their kids and buy them on the spot. $15-25 for an 8x10. We'd have the pictures online within minutes of the race--Beating out any other shooters by hours, and being able to sell people photos before they even see the other shooters images. People would care less what the other shooter did that way.

(my girlfreind told me that price is of little importance as long as it's somewhat reasonable. Horse people are impulse buyers, that's why they have horses:lol:)

On the cars outside, have flyers that say if they buy the images within the next 5 days they get 30% off. That way it creates a sense of urgency so that people wont' see them and say "hum-ho, i'll get to it later", but instead "ooh, gotta get those so I don't have to pay up the ying-yang later! (even though they would pay a tone anyway. 20% of 25 is only $4! that's still $21 per 8x10!).

Consider if you might suck at everything else.

there is potential for a photographer to make a lot of money - but they seem to be in the minority.

Wedding, studio etc is a fairly good way to go if you can cut it i imagine... good business skills would probs be needed.

But if you do love photography, im sure you wont mind having a lower salary than the lawyers, business men etc of this world. People get buy on a lot less doing something they dispise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back