Do photography classes help at all?

les_rokr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never taken any kind of class/seminar for photography, buy I'm on the list for next semester's photography 1 class at my high school. The community college is right down the street-where i've been taking all my music classes since I was in elementary school. College photography classes are available to me there was well.

Will these classes help?

Judging from your previous posts, yes, they will help alot. If not from just the information you're given, than from competition.

I've been photographing for 25 years, starting with a photo class in high school. I've been taking a photo class at least once a year, recently also related courses such as Photoshop or digital printing workshops.

I really enjoy most of the classes, and learn something in all of them. It keeps me thinking about photography, and gives me new projects all the time.

They most certainly do. The offer clarification, inspiration, observation, competition, motivation and lots of "Aha!" moments. I just wish I had the time, energy, and money to take them more often.

Taking a class lets me look at photography in a more detached way. It directs the focus away from my more "selfish" preoccupations.

Rusty Tripod

For any topic, including photography, one advantage of a class over a book is that there's an opportunity to ask for and get 'instant' clarification. This can save lots of slogging through texts.

...about community college and Learning Annex courses. Some are great, but not all. It totally depends on the instructor. Just in the area of digital alone there are loads of misconceptions and poor technique.

Does the instructor have a degree in photography? What professional skills do they bring to the table? You couldn't teach college English without a Masters in English, but absolutely no education is required of photography instructors. It's a gamble.

I have a friend that earned an Associates degree in Photography from a college and was amazed at what they got for their money...and not amazed in the good sort of way. They learned NO mechanics about photography! They couldn't tell me the relationship between aperture and shutter speed. Nor do ISO math in their head. Their classes were shot on Auto, nothing more. Basically their camera work was crap and they fixed everything in PhotoShop. It should've been called a PhotoShop degree. And this was from a COLLEGE.

I agree that what you'll get out of a class can depend a lot on the instructor. See if you can find out about the class/instructor from someone who has already taken it.

Check out the teacher's resume, but you can't always count on that. I've met and taken classes and workshops from self taught instructors that were wonderful teachers, and in college I had two instructors with loads of fancy credentials, jobs in the industry, etc..., but they were lousy teachers, and their classes ended up being a waste of time in my opinion.

Other things that I got out of taking classes (and I still take classes and workshops when I have time):

Completing assigned projects with specific goals on a deadline.

Meeting other students, seeing and discussing their work.

Learning about and participating in critiques.

When I first started in photography at age 11, I found the camera clubs and the National Association of Photographic Art, more helpful, professional and competitive than any photo course.

Photo courses are only as good as the instructor teaching them. I have run into poor photographers and instructors in other events and found out that they were teaching at the university level.

What is necessary is a well-organized, experienced teacher who is also a talented photographer with some clear, concrete, and specific ideas about the field and how to teach the skills.

skieur

Yes... When I started the photo 101 class, it was obvious that a few possessed way more experience in photography (it was an elective that was open to all majors). I still found it very useful and refreshing. The ideas and discussions as well as the different assignments help open your eyes even more. The more advanced classes challenged me technically but the ideas and discussions were still equaly enjoyable.

I've found this forum to teach me the most. Posts from some regulars such as Alex B, Woodsac, xFloggingKylex, EOS JD, and more recenlty someone who seems t oknow what they're talking about, New England Times, are posts that I often find valuable. Not to say others don't matter. I say 80% of the posts here teach me something.

Well of course, I pick up little bits of information throughout every conversation, though I wasn't sure if I should use my time taking photography if I didn't need it--though I'm pretty sure I'll be taking it now.

Well of course, I pick up little bits of information throughout every conversation, though I wasn't sure if I should use my time taking photography if I didn't need it--though I'm pretty sure I'll be taking it now.

I've been working as a professional for about 30 years. My biggest regret is not getting some sort of classroom/formal training at the start.

Pete

I've never taken any kind of class/seminar for photography, buy I'm on the list for next semester's photography 1 class at my high school. The community college is right down the street-where i've been taking all my music classes since I was in elementary school. College photography classes are available to me there was well.

Will these classes help?

In most cases yes, but try to get classes that are on a subject you are interested in. General photography classes are a good bet as well, but be warned the teacher will go thrugh things that you might allready know. Me personally. I'm interested in getting an education in photography, but my problem is finding a school in my region that will allow me to balance work and school....

Most reactions

Back