Do photos need to "represent" something or have deeper meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
whYfFDU.gif

I don't think these are raw or impromptu, they look directed. So they don't seem as you described. I don't think these look like young women just going thru a daily routine; they look like models pretending to be hanging around an apartment. Who sits around the house eating ice cream on the kitchen counter in topless lingerie?

Just calling something lifestyle doesn't necessarily make it so, or make it well done lifestyle photography. Some are framed with extra space that seems unnecessary, or objects in the background that don't seem like they're part of the image; I think framing shots either something needs to work in the photo or it needs to not be there.

There are some with odd perspective or borderline tilt, but they just seem off. You mentioned Helmut Newton but I don't see that influence here (or any possible study of German expressionism which comes to mind looking at Newton's work) - if you look at Newton's photos to me I think he placed a subject and objects exactly where he wanted them in the frame (including outlets, etc.). When he used leading perspective or tilt it seems like the angle of something like a stone fence was placed where he wanted it in relation to the subject and other objects; he obviously considered where shadows were placed in the frame. I would not have known you were influenced by Newton if you hadn't said so.

It's up to you what your photos mean; I don't think these necessarily represent what you describe. I saw some I thought were pretty cool, one that had color and movement seen in neon lights in the background, etc. The one in Italian Vogue was similar to that. But then there are some in crummy looking convenience stores, one with a young woman in a mink coat - that just seems like it's trying too hard to look like something but to me it just doesn't work. But Newton can have a woman in a rain soaked stone alley and it works.

I think it looks like you would benefit from studying art and photography more and figure out what you are trying to say; most of the portfolio work could be further developed. Not that someone can't get photos used or published, but that doesn't mean you stop learning or working to improve. Or I guess it's up to you if you'd rather appear to be a Terry wannabee, because that's what came to mind to me as it did others - if that's not what you are or want to be, maybe you need to think about what's coming across and how you want to represent yourself.

when you can't think of what to say just post some copyright material it's like supercalifragilistic

I'm what some call a lifestyle photographer, meaning my images collectively portray and promote a certain way of being. A lot of my shots are candid, raw, unedited, and unapologetically in-the-moment which I believe adds to the believability and impact of the images.

My number one critique from other photographers, on the other hand, is that my don't appear to be planned out - that they lack meaning or depth or theme. That I'm not hiding something clever in the layers. My position on that critique is that photos don't have to mean anything deeper than just being a photo of some stuff I like to be worthy of appreciation.

Here's my portfolio - check it out before replying so you have some context. The best examples I can think of are the "upside down legs" photos and the cat photo (you'll know it when you see it - it's on the stickers page).

www.davidbeckphoto.com

What is your opinion on this?

Who cares... If you like them, great.
"Did they say those terrible things about me? I guess they didn't know my other faults or they would have mentioned them too." - Epictetus

its depressing to see this thread. guy comes in, basically a pretty successful photographer with real publications relevant tohis niche, he's got a real honest question and he's basically chased away first by the locals and then the mods decide that his work is too racy even to be linked to from here an astonishing change in policy.

The user in question was not "chased away". He was simply told that this content wasn't deemed suitable in the open forum as a result of the policies put in place by the administration/owners of the site. He was told how to access the NSFW section where he can freely post his question and photos. This is the last post on the subject; if you wish to contest moderator actions please use the private messaging system.

If you disagree with site policy then there's the feedback section where you can freely post your argument/case for changing policy. We DO read and listen to suggestions there.

The title of this thread; "Do photos need to "represent" something or have deeper meaning?" appears to be a non-sequitur in that both options are similar, so it cannot easily be answered without some clarification. Not knowing if the title question is the one we are expected to try to answer, some of us just skipped on to the text of your first post, which has posed a completely different question. It should not be a surprise that not everyone here is inspired to answer questions that they don't understand.

I'm what some call a lifestyle photographer, meaning my images collectively portray and promote a certain way of being. A lot of my shots are candid, raw, unedited, and unapologetically in-the-moment which I believe adds to the believability and impact of the images.
That's not what I get out of it. In fact, I would say it is more like the opposite of your intention. All of the shots I saw were highly directed, completely aware, very "groomed", (they may be unedited, I can't tell), and not spontaneous at all.

My number one critique from other photographers, on the other hand, is that my (photos - sic) don't appear to be planned out - that they lack meaning or depth or theme.

What is your opinion on this?
Here again, I am not sure of your question. If you are asking a question about photography in general, and not just yours, then my answer is (I'll try to re-think your question) A good photograph will always represent something, and a great photograph will often convey deep meaning.

Now if I am to divine the intent of your second question, I will answer thusly: Your photographs do appear to be planned out (see my comments above), and whatever meaning you may have attempted to convey remains hidden.

You're welcome.

im pretty sure that lifestyle here means naturalistic settings, homes, parks, stores, etc. places that either are or appear to be places that people conduct their normal lives. obviously the models are not conducting their normal lives there.

this is incidentaly one of several points on which david differs from terry the latter works largely in what are obviously studio spaces

if you think david's images look like terry's it's because you're only looking at technique.

quoted for false.

It's more than the complete and utter blatant copying of his technique for the white wall shot, it's also the subject matter -- the herpes infested, sex drugs and rock & roll, child-predator style to them; the utter disregard for class and taste. It's also the retro Polaroidesque look to them. The overly contrived raunchy-casualness of a staged scene. The weird people, wearing weird things, doing weird things with weird things. The "OMG look at the roll of film this customer just dropped off" feel to them. The posing with animals....

Congratulations, you just won this thread! :icon_cheers:

So much hatred in this thread.

I don't understand why someone taking a picture that's outside of either one's comfort zone or one's own subject matter interests is immediately considered weird/contrived/copying/etc.

I found the images interesting. Interesting enough to follow @davidbeckphoto on IG. :icon_thumbsup:

It'll provide some relief from the usual food and landscape shots.

Well, I'm not sure about hatred, but I do see a conversation that has outlived its usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back