Do they sell any cheap/affordable 600mm lenses.

Another vote for the Sigma Contemporary (The Sport version is mush more $$ and no real difference in IQ). I have owned the Sigma 150-600mm "C" for three years now and absolutely love it. It can of course be used on a tripod, but also, because it is not super heavy, can be hand-held as well (The Sport version is much heavier and, unless you're really buff, really needs to be on a tripod). A few shots with the Siggy at various focal lengths.

Bosque-6172.jpg

Bosque-6503.jpg

Abq_Open-2780.jpg

Another vote for the Sigma Contemporary (The Sport version is mush more $$ and no real difference in IQ). I have owned the Sigma 150-600mm "C" for three years now and absolutely love it. It can of course be used on a tripod, but also, because it is not super heavy, can be hand-held as well (The Sport version is much heavier and, unless you're really buff, really needs to be on a tripod). A few shots with the Siggy at various focal lengths.

View attachment 175726

View attachment 175727

View attachment 175728
Very nice, thank you, i have recently purchased the Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM ll lens and it's awesome great sharpness, color, and contrast for an affordable price. My neighbor has the sigma 150-600mm and i have used it before to photograph the moon and other such planets and it's fantastic.

I'm waiting for Canon to come out with a 600mm f2.8 that's under $1000. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time :apple:

I'm waiting for Canon to come out with a 600mm f2.8 that's under $1000. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time :apple:

Ain't we all mate.

Raw, The tamzooka is a decent lens, I've got a G1 and it's pretty sharp, odds and sods with the Sigma C as far as I can tell though the dock is why many chose the C over the tamzooka. From the images I've seen the sport is slightly sharper than the C, more importantly has weatherproofing. Mine does not so I got a rain sleive.

But it's important to realise that these superzoom lenses have their limits. You'll still need to get close to your subject for good shots and even at f8 the dof is narrow. Fast shutter speeds are critical, so that'll push your ISO up. None of them are a patch on a 300 f2.8 L. But second hand they are affordable and offer big focal lengths on a budget. Yes, having a rebel body will hurt you, sometimes small birds are a pain and it takes a lot of time and a smattering of skill to get it right

View attachment 175726

View attachment 175727

View attachment 175728
Very nice, thank you, i have recently purchased the Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM ll lens and it's awesome great sharpness, color, and contrast for an affordable price. My neighbor has the sigma 150-600mm and i have used it before to photograph the moon and other such planets and it's fantastic.

yes, the 150-600 is the best value for long telephotos (but I still keep my 100-400)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Have you ever watched a professional sports photographer shooting NFL games. The Canon users use the 600, 500 and 400. Most all are shot with monopod support. Their publishers, photo editors demand the best. Trying to get into the long range on a 700.00 budget, would get you a $700.00 result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I bought the sigma 100 600 old style eg pre sport/art from a We buy/CEX shop cost me 50 GBP at the time and it has been a good lens.
I had the chance to get an old style push pull ver 1 canon 100 400 l series used with l series extenders 1.5 and 2x gives me huge reach on my crop sensor canon.

no real difference

I thought the big difference was weather sealing, which, if it is, only impacts how you intend to use the lens. As you indicated, I've heard good reviews for both.

(but I still keep my 100-400)

I'm thinking of rounding out my lens collection with that lens, which, on a crop sensor with the 1.4 teleconverter I already have, could be spectacular....in bright sun.

DSLR Lenses, SLR Lenses | Camera Lens | B&H

Some good options on this here, not fancy BUT..... the telescopes have more then one aperture.. and are cheaper.

The Opteka mirror lens has macro options, and has a few lens filters, and at a lot less cost.

I can get within 5 feet of birds on the feeder when I use my 100-300mm zoom lens. I can get 2 feet away with my nifty fifty installed. And they land on me. And I still think I want a longer lens, and Opteka is the brand that keeps popping up as being "right choice"

Most reactions

Back