Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What a stupid question, of course I do. I've seen photographs, photography exists, ergo, I believe in it.

Well... no, that's not quite what I meant. Do you believe in the power of photography? Aside from all the platitudes that those of us who try and earn a couple of bucks in this game put on our websites about "creating and preserving memories" and such, do you, as a person, believe that a photograph, even if it's not a great portrait by the likes of HCB has the power to have a significant impact on people (nb: I'm primarily referring to photographs of close family members, not "great portraits") and to be or become something genuinely treasured rather than just a nice of memory of how we looked back then?

Why, or why not. Discuss.

The ability to capture a fraction of a second in time and then freeze it for possibly all of eternity, is a very very powerful instrument. Unleashing the potential power of photography rests solely in the operator and not in the instrument or the process.

Last edited:
I have family photos that go back to the turn of the last century. They have helped give four generations a sense of belonging to something. I continue to try to keep it going. I hope my kids and their kids do the same. Knowing who you are comes from knowing where you came from, and photos are an important part of this.

Sure but I suspect that on the whole the majority of photos that have a real life impact to people are not the kind that get displayed in galleries. That shot of someone cheating on their wife; that mugshot; the photo of someone stealing from a shop et c.... Those are true life-changing photographs that impact upon peoples lives every single day.

Photos still have power; but I think starving children, destroyed rainforest, oil coated seabirds. They still have impact, but we are bombarded by such images so regularly today that they have less and less effect. Now what has greater impact are those showing successful transformations from poverty to normality; regrowth; clean beaches etc... Success not just failure.

Photos impacts us every day and much of it we won't even realise.

Today, photography is a form of self expression available to anyone. Photography can be an intimate and meaningful method of communication.

I believe that sometimes you gotta wreck the truck to get the insurance money to make the truck payment.

I believe that guns don't kill people, husbands that come home early do.

I believe that if you want to wear a thong, you should have to go through an application process.

I Believe, that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. And try to find somebody who's life gives them vodka, and have a party.

I believe you show me a three year old running around a flea market in his underpants drinking Coca-Cola out of a baby bottle, and I'll show you a future NASCAR fan.

I believe... that Britney Spears should be one of Baskin Robbins' 31 flavors.

I believe that the way to a man's heart is not through his stomach. It's a little further south.

I believe that the phrase "time in a bottle" refers to the amount of beer you can drink before last call.

I believe that ignorance of the law is no excuse, and I'm quoting a New York City judge on this one.

I believe the only thing worse than having diarrhea is trying to have it quietly in a public bathroom.

I believe that if you let somebody cut in front of you in traffic and they don't give you the little "wave", it should be perfectly legal to get up underneath 'em, get 'em loose, and put 'em into the wall.

I believe that no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, you can not baptize cats.

photos are so 19th century.
video is the now.
Images sent and stored directly to brain-drives (AKA-grey boxes) are the future.

Some times (more like always), the only way I can remember vacations I have taken and the wonderful feelings that accompanied is to look at my old photographs. In that sense, the cellphone camera reigns supreme because it is always with me.
I would 10/10 pick a photo that makes me smile vs a photo that satisfies the inane tastes of this forum.

video is the now.
Images sent and stored directly to brain-drives (AKA-grey boxes) are the future.
Where can I get one?

video is the now.
Where can I get one?

in the future?
the only place that survives the franchise war, of course...
WalMart.
Oh Great, you mean this is the kind of thing I can look forward to???
the_people_of_walmart_are_a_kind_of_their_own_640_39.jpg

people-of-walmart-wtf-2.jpg

people-of-walmart-in-creative-outfits-01.jpg

people-of-walmart-410.jpg

9bec31f847ef3c71ba0aed2c3b03f519457d5a72e580314a8daf688d35dfd086.jpg

Most reactions

Back