Do you burn CDs or DVDs?

roxysmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have done a few weddings recently and want to burn the images so I can have them later. I used DVD+R but when I went to a local store to make reprints it would not open. I can see them fine on my own computer. Any suggestions?

Do most people use CDs over DVDs? I was going to do a CD but it was going to take up 3 so I figured the DVD would be better.

How do most people manage this process?

DeepSpring is correct. Coming from a video background, DVD-R is more compatible format.

Coming from a Computer background I much prefer DVD+Rs. I've burned well over 1,500 discs and found them to be more compatible then DVD-R, with the only downside being 10mb (about 1 RAW file). From a price stand point they are cheaper then CD-Rs as well.

One other thing to note is I do a bit of Wedding Photography so DVDs are definitely a must when your supplying people with 4 - 6mb JPEGs. I shoot all my photos in RAW then batch encode them with both normal settings, and auto exposure in ACDSee Pro so I'm generally giving away two packed DVDRs one with each method. Cheers.

I dont know if you shot RAW on the weddings and burned those on a DVD, but maybe the store cant read the RAW files. So that can be a reason why you couldnt open the pics in the store.
And i also burn DVD+R.

I back up to DVD but when getting prints from weddings etc I convert to Jpeg and burn to cd, stores here dont do DVD's for prints as far as I'm aware. H

I've been using DVD+R ever since I got a DVD burner. No compatibility problems so far.

I don't shoot RAW yet. I've been taking pictures in large/fine JPEG format and have had no problems.

I'm wondering if I'm just not coping them right. Someone told me once you have to confirm usage for another computer within the DVD? Does that make sence?

My guess is that the store's reader was a CD reader and not a DVD reader. The +R and -R thing shouldn't make any difference (I am an IT guy) on a modern DVD reader.

I don't use DVD at all. Too slow, slow, slow.... I much prefer multiple external hard drives. A lot faster, very much smaller (you need over 100D VDs to stare the same as a small 400Gb disk) and they are just much easier to use.

Sure it's a little more expensive but drive prices have tumbled recently.

Get good back up software and it's a breeze.

Roxy. The store can't read your format. So use either JPEG on the disc or at a push TIFF. DO NOT put them into a "Slideshow" or "presentation". just the basic JPEG 300dpi about A4 max and the store SHOULD have no probs.
I can't speak for the others, but have never had any problems with DVDs , either + or _ . The best answer is to get a printer and do it yourself. A little more expensive, a little more time consuming... But the "I did that" factor is worth a million.

I'm going to second EOS_JD's recommendation. I use a 100GB laptop drive so that I don't have to plug in external power. I made it myself with a external hard drive enclosure and a lot of times its cheaper.

DVD +R or -R shouldn't be a problem either like most people said. Just make sure wherever you are printing supports DVD.

I'm wondering if I'm just not coping them right. Someone told me once you have to confirm usage for another computer within the DVD? Does that make sence?

Yes you need to finalize the DVD so it can be read by other drives. You are on the right track.

Yes you need to finalize the DVD so it can be read by other drives. You are on the right track.

RIGHT!

DVD-R was the original "standard" it has some minor speed advantages in burning.

DVD+R was the manufacturers answer to paying a license fee to use the above format. They created their own free format. +R has some editing advantages...

Years ago, most players would not read +R but now, and for the last few years, almost everything you find will play both. It's not an issue anymore.

I'm probably just a throw-back, but I find CDs are more stable, and less likely to have errors. (maybe it's my burners?) I use both +R and -R for burning videos, both work fine.

I make backups of photo collections on CDs and DVDs.

If you are making proofs, I don't know why one wouldn't want to have reduced size images anyway, to prevent people from just making their own prints. CD with smaller, compressed jpgs,would seem to be the answer?

Printing at the store, I use a CF or SD memory card to carry the ones I want to print. Original discs stay safe in the office. :thumbup:

no one mentioned that CD-Rs typically have longer life than DVD-R media of similar quality.

For me... archival for backups is the upmost importance. As a result, I use CD-Rs (Gold). I use DVD-Rs only as a tertiary offsite backup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back