Do you carry a secondary camera?

raffile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, so I have a my very expensive nikon D7000. But there are many times that I need to take snap shot QUICK and it's not readily available. I have to pull it out of the bag, put the right lens on it, and then possibly miss the shot.

So... I was thinking of getting a secondary camera... I am not sure what to get though, or if it is even a good idea. I mean obviously it's not going to take as high quality photos as my d7000. But I want to have something I can carry in my pocket, and takes good pictures.

Basically I like to take photos all the time. And there is always a kodak moment in my life. But I cannot carry a camera around my neck all the time, and most of the time I have my Nikon in its camera bag / investment protector. So it's not readily available like I need it to when living my every day life.

Any camera recommendations? For carrying with me wherever I go in my pocket, but still takes high quality photos?

I know the quality wont be as much but it will be fine. I hate missing moments.

Got a canon A480 for 71euro, runs on 2 AA batteries and its great for small money

I use an Olympus E-pen1

I only use 1 camera due to I would hate to have wished that I would have taken the shot with the other...

The only cameras that truly fit in pocket are P&S cameras and they come along with loads of compromises in terms of quality. The best of this set are the Olympus ZX-1, Panasonic LX5, and Canon S95. Number one choice among these would be S95 because it is the smallest. My personal choice would be the LX5... but its bigger in size.

Moving up a bit....

Olympus E-PM1 micro 4/3 with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (40mm Equiv FOV). About the size of a P&S but with a better (bigger sensor) and a fast prime lens. Micro 4/3 have significantly better IQ than high end P&S but in a smaller package.... not only the bodies are smaller but so are the lenses. Oh... it is an interchangeable lens camera and the selection of lenses are growing. Or you can simply just adapt lenses as many do.

My primary camera is small enough that I carry it most of the time. My second camera is an Olympus E-PL1 and P&S is a Panny LX3. Often I'll head out the door with the E-PL1 with one of three lenses; 14-42 kit, 20mm f/1.7, or 14 f/2.5 My only real complaint with the E-PL1 is the SSSLLLLOOOOWWWW autofocus performance. Supposedly the E-PM1, E-PL3, and E-P3 all released recently have significantly improved contrast Auto focus.

Last edited:
I had the same problem way back when I was using a film camera with all of the associated gear, kept in a less than portable bag. My solution at the time was to buy a Canon Elph APS camera. Really small, and I kept it in the car. If I was going somewhere away from the car, I could carry it in a small pouch on my belt.

Moving on to a DSLR, I of course had the same problem. Got another Canon Elph, this time a digital one. It was OK, but the 5MP and 3X zoom was limiting. Then I found a Pentax Optio Z10, with 7MP and a built in 7X zoom. By built in I mean it is all internal, nothing sticking out. Quality is just OK, but I am glad I have it for spontaneous moments. I don't think this model is stil available, but others are probably along the same line.

Sounds like you don't want to carry the d7000 around because of it's price. Although that's understandable, there comes a point where it's going to hamper your work flow and at that point buying a $1200 body becomes pointless.

I think there's a fine line between being smart with your gear and being overprotective. I use a knockoff R Strap that's been working great the past few months. And btw I use it on a d90. It makes it comfortable to carry around the camera all day if need be.

I just use my phone...:er:

I carry a P&S for when carrying a Dslr is impractical like this weekend (bike run) with the knowledge that I'm just shooting snapshots to the best of my ability. Otherwise I carry the big guns.

I sortof would like, but would probably never buy, an Olympus E-P3.. and an old manual M mount lens to go with. Would be amazing quality for something so portable, but, if I'm going to spend $1-2k, it's going to be on my existing system.

I got a D80 back-up for pennies on the dollar from craigslist. It served its purpose extremely well while the D7000 was in the shop 7 weeks for warranty work.

I used to worry about having a 2nd camera with me all the time, and I bought a GF1 to take care of that. Turned out that I never used it, and to be honest if I REALLY REALLY need to take a picture and don't have one of my SLR's on me, i'll just use my phone.

If i'm somewhere where I need to take a picture, I usually have one of my SLR's on me anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back