Do you carry....protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep knives (I have an obssesion for Swiss Army knives) in my bag, glove box, backpacks, on the floor and in numerous boxes in the truck I use for camping. When camping I like to keep the hatchet I use for splitting firewood nearby until I get used to sitting there (I usually camp by myself). I don't go into cities to shoot, but do the beach thing once or twice a year. I have the advantage of looking dangerous to the people that look dangerous.Scowling is my best proactive defense.

Alot of interesting opinions. I think being female and just not looking tough makes it scarier. I just hate to be shooting alone at all.

You guys scare me! Knives...! GUNS!!!! :(

To me, troubles start the moment you consider taking with you some any kind of weapon. That's when I'd think I need protection!

If in a dangerous situation, I rather use my mind to act wisely and, if needed, my feet to get rapidly out of there. And if none of those help, I really believe taking some weapon out would but making things worse -worse meaning more dangerous for everyone involved.

Finally, and not trying to add any joke, why not consider your camera as a last-last resort for unavoidable self-defence? Won't work if you have a pocket compact camera, but then again one of those wouldn't likely attract anyone's attention very much, so I suspect you're talking about some larger SLR. And this can become a real menace if holded from the strap and...

I've been known to carry bladed weapons pending the shoot locations. I've even gone so far as to carry a full 42" sword into the woods known to have have some aggressive wildlife in the aria. As far as suburban photography goes, my camera it self is more often than not a sufficient weapon. At 760 g body alone it's a headach maker for anyone stupid enough to try something. When out photographing at night in town, I often carry a 6D Maglight flashlight as my preferred protective peice with a 8" knife as backup.

As for use, I've encountered a bear but I don't think it noticed me so it's moot as I did not need to do anything but walk away. I've had to use the flashlight twice, A drunk fool thought about being stupid but thought better of it when I blinded him light and asked if he really wanted to try something. The second was an encounter with a rent-a-cop when I returned the favor after he blinded me with his spotlight wile I was setting up in the middle of the road. I've never had to swing it, letalone drop it though, I'd like to keep it that way.

You really should only carry a weapon when wildlife are a concern.

In areas where the two legged beasts are dangerous, the best bet is to make like a rabbit- keep an eye on everything that could even remotely be a threat and when you see something that really is... Run like the wind. :)

This isn't cowardice, just self preservation. There is always somebody badder than you are and if you let them get too close you won't find out who it is until it's too late.

BTW if you would like to make a Taser out of a disposable camera, try here..
http://www.ehow.com/how_2049857_taser-from-disposable-camera.html

Alot of interesting opinions. I think being female and just not looking tough makes it scarier. I just hate to be shooting alone at all.

Understandable. My knives are just because of my obssesion- sort of like hats (yes, I have as many hats as I do knives). I stay in environments I'm comfortable with, and I am comfortable with spending days at a time alone out in the desert, where I am familiar with the environment and possibilities, which is what I recommend. I do not think I would be comfortable with going into an area where I felt I would have to pack a firearm. In my case mountain lions can be a concern, so far I just carry a buck knife.

Women have a whole different set of concerns beyond mine. Whatever it takes to feel safe. I would however, recomend (trying) staying out of areas where you feel you would have to carry a deadly weapon. If at all possible, always have someone with you.

I'm a CPL holder and I carry a Glock 26. I prefer to run first though.

You really should only carry a weapon when wildlife are a concern.

In areas where the two legged beasts are dangerous, the best bet is to make like a rabbit- keep an eye on everything that could even remotely be a threat and when you see something that really is... Run like the wind. :)

This isn't cowardice, just self preservation. There is always somebody badder than you are and if you let them get too close you won't find out who it is until it's too late.
I disagree on the two legged variety. I have lived and worked in many bad urban areas. I have had CCWs in every place I have ever lived. In some of the worse areas my sidearm was on my lap the whole time. Also Nataion Parks/Forests have become dangerous in some area due to pot growers and meth labs. It is sad true but it is reality. The world is not a friendly place.

I always have at least one knife in my bag, solely for use as a tool. The only person I'm going to hurt if I try to use it as a weapon is me. Seven and a half pounds of Manfrotto tripod laid upside someone's head however is going to be (1) Non-lethal, and (2) A LOT more effective. That said, I've photographed alone in the National City area of San Diego, the slums of Chennai, India, and fairly remote areas in the Canadian Rockies. Never once have I felt even the slightest concern of attack. If I did, well, I'm going to bet that I can run faster scared that he/they can mad.

I carry an HK USP .45 at all times. Shooting or not.

Being a soldier, yes my situational awareness is excellent, but I also realize I can't always run from danger. So I shoot back if necessary.

IF all else fails just make sure to invest in high quality glass!
That way you get the shot
That way insurance is a must
A 70-200mm f2.8L hits a lot harder than a sigma 70-300mm ;)

course there are also quality triods and monopods - the monopod is probably better as its easier to hit with and you don't have to fold it up first

yes my situational awareness is excellent

I think this is the most important thing. It always gets me how many people have no clue what is going on around them...

No matter what I'm doing, I'm constantly observing my surroundings.
Being aware of the things/people around you can help a lot in avoiding danger entirely.

Presenting yourself as a "hard target" plus situational awareness are the two best things you can do to protect yourself.

People always look at me funny, because when I see or meet someone I look at their hands before I look at them. Good habit to have and has saved my butt on a few occasions.

No I don't carry anything. First, I am quite certain in most cases in Canada it is illegal (for the 'harder' things like guns.. not meaning pepper spray), second, I have no idea how to use them. That being said, I have been meaning to take a self defense course.. hmm.

Presenting yourself as a "hard target" plus situational awareness are the two best things you can do to protect yourself.

People always look at me funny, because when I see or meet someone I look at their hands before I look at them. Good habit to have and has saved my butt on a few occasions.

Agreed! I grew up in Detroit so I grew up with situational awareness. I too am amazed at how most people just go about life not knowing what is going on around them. I have a habit of looking at peoples shoulders from time to time when talking to them in bars or, public gatherings. It is where I watch for them for any agressive movement.
And Peanuts that is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back