Do you carry....protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never put my life or the lives of my family in the hands of some street thug and trust they will be pacified by my surrendering my property to them. If they have a weapon and they threaten me, I will respond with deadly force.

This is why I like living in Canada, we have our problems and it is not utopia, but most of the time it is so cold that carrying a weapon is not an option, metal agaist skin is too cold in the winter. (it is -30 Deg C today)

Given where I live there are not many problems, so I do not give it much thought.

, but most of the time it is so cold that carrying a weapon is not an option, metal agaist skin is too cold in the winter. (it is -30 Deg C today).
The cold weather up there is the only reason my ass isn't there. I am repulsed by the gun waving here in the states. I staunchly defend their rights to do so, as a former sportsman myself, but I am not part of that population of psuedo bravado. In my day I could knock a bullfrog back onto the bank from 40 yards away with only iron sites and fry his legs up for dinner, I hunted quail, dove and rabbit because I liked the taste of the meat, but most of the testosterone being spewed has nothing to do with (to use a phrase from Mr. Nugent) "kill it and grill it". Unless you are fully trained to use a weapon and further accepting the disposition of taking another human life.... there is too much BS going on here. I say, smoke a joint.... and chill out, if that's what it takes...... regardless, get yourself grounded and realize that possessions are merely material temporaries and can easily be replaced.

*steps down from soap box*

And you do the thinking in the few seconds that take for you to use or not to use the gun, right?
Actually yes. I had a guy try and open the door on the work van I was driving through South Central LA. I had a CCW at that time and, always had it on my lap in certain areas. I pointed in his direction, he saw it and beat feet away from me. My helper almost messed his pants over the whole thing. I have been carrying a sidearm since I was 21 and, have yet to have to shoot one person. I have worked in very dangerous areas of a few major cities so, yes I will continue to carry.
Now I travel the Az back country and, except fpr a few areas where you cant carry ( native reservations ), I have a firearm always. We have animals that get rabies and some who are just plain ornery. Most of the time I dont even have to shoot them. A round shot into the ground flushes most off. Id rather be armed and not need the weapon than being unarmed and, not have it.

And you do the thinking in the few seconds that take for you to use or not to use the gun, right?
Duh :roll::lol: but on one level, a good question. The vast majority of incidents involving firearms used in self protection never escalate into the firing of a weapon, as the mere presence of the weapon, along with the obvious will to use it, is often sufficient to stop the attack or threat. I am here to testify that staring down the dispenser end of a barrel is a highly effective buzz killer. So yes, in this region my innate right to make that decision is still somewhat protected by law. EDIT: sorry if that was too political for this forum- I'll get out of this thread now...

First, anyone who thinks they can avoid all lethal or dangerious situations is either dreaming or an idealist. In the best of places the worst can happen, simply a fact of life in the modern world. I would advise you to be aware of everything around you at all times. Keep both eyes open, one for the viewfinder and the other on your surroundings. Also, don't take unessary risks, a generious amount of common sense goes a long way. No image is worth risking that most presious to most of us. And if you have the oportunity never shoot (a camera) in questionable areas alone. JMHO.

I have carried when in the field, my preference either a Colt Gov. Md 70 .45 ACP or a S&W Md 25-5 .45 long Colt. As most who do the same, I concider the gun as a tool and not generally for protection. I have however come very close to using a D1X as a weapon about 5 years ago. I was shooting a band and was on the dance floor surrounded by drunk 20 somethings. (why don't kids learn to handle their liquor?) While framing a shot, hands came out of nowhere and attempted to take my camera from me. A D1X w/35-70 2.8 and a hex Bogan quick change plate would hurt, bad! I pulled it back with my right hand and grabbed his collar with my left. I am quoted as saying "Dude, I will beat you to a bloody pulp with this thing, then gladly take a picture of your dead lifeless body with it". He retreated with great haste.

This is why I like living in Canada, we have our problems and it is not utopia, but most of the time it is so cold that carrying a weapon is not an option, metal agaist skin is too cold in the winter. (it is -30 Deg C today)

Given where I live there are not many problems, so I do not give it much thought.

That's why you get a holster with leather between the frame and your body, makes it more comfortable no matter the weather honestly.

kundalini said:
Unless you are fully trained to use a weapon and further accepting the disposition of taking another human life.... there is too much BS going on here. I say, smoke a joint.... and chill out, if that's what it takes...... regardless, get yourself grounded and realize that possessions are merely material temporaries and can easily be replaced.

Fully trained like the NYPD who hit their intended targets only ~38% of the time at engagements of less than 20 feet?

Fully trained like the NYPD who hit their intended targets only ~38% of the time at engagements of less than 20 feet?

Just don't pull out your cell phone at your wedding. You might get 8 full magazines fired at you (at least only 10 or so rounds will actually hit you though...).

That's why you get a holster with leather between the frame and your body, makes it more comfortable no matter the weather honestly.

Leather gets cold and hardens, making it hard to draw. I prefer Kydex, works better 100% of the time.

But you can't argue against the aesthetics of a good leather holster.

Leather gets cold and hardens, making it hard to draw. I prefer Kydex, works better 100% of the time.

But you can't argue against the aesthetics of a good leather holster.

Have you tried any of the ones with leather against the body and kydex away from it? I've got a Crossbreed like that, but it doesn't get cold enough here to affect the leather.

No I haven't, but I have been looking into a holster I saw a while back. Leather shell but has a concealed kydex insert with trigger retention. All the look and comfort of leather, with the quick draw of kydex.

Just a few comments before I leave:

I'm going to use my gun.

As long as I go home alive, and everyone else does as well, then I succeeded in making it through another day.

"I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by six" is the truest statement to my reasoning.

Funny contradiction! Not many chances everyone going home alive when you're going to use your gun, mmm?

Sorry, but to me your statement translates "rather anyone be carried by six if only I suspect there's any threaten involved to me".

It really sounds harmless when you write all those things about having but not using, almost a little convincing, but just open one of those newspapers mentioned above and you'll see how many had a far too easy finger and shot just because they "somehow" felt threatened.

It's far better to have and not need vs. need and not have. (Perfect Example)

I started to watch the video; left it the moment the woman mentioned something like "a mad man entered and started to shoot". Wow, and that sounds to you like an argument for being armed!! :shock: Funny, it sounds to me. Do you really cannot see that that man was one of those "better to have and not need vs. need and not have"?!? And he went mad. And since he carried a weapon as the most natural thing in the world, he probably killed a lot.

People with weapons going mad and killing people is not at all a rare thing. Because people going mad happens far too often. The real big problem is when they are so easily armed. And yet for you the possibility of carrying a weapon seems to imply protection! :er: Funny...

I could not carry any sort of weapon, I just won't. I have been in places all over the world and I can't think of one time in my life having a knife or gun or any sort of weapon would have helped.

It is just gear, if someone really wants it that bad and wants to mug me, I will give it to them without a fight, that is what insurance is for (I have been mugged twice).

But I can imagine if I had pulled a weapon things could have ended much worse than a police report and $100 taken (I have never had my gear on me when mugged).

Does it suck, yes!,
Do you feel horible after, Yup!,
Would I feel better if I injured myself or took someones life, Not a chance!

I figure you never know what drives someone to agression and you never know how far someone else is willing to go, so why even chance it.

The only time I carry a knife is when back packing, and that has nothing to do with protection.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

First, anyone who thinks they can avoid all lethal or dangerious situations is either dreaming or an idealist. In the best of places the worst can happen, simply a fact of life in the modern world.

Curious I really started reading this post convinced you were making a point against carrying a weapon! A good point!! But it was the other way round... Again: funny. Because that's precisely how it sounds to me all that about carrying a weapon but having the perfect control for only using it when extrictly necessary, etc: it sounds dreaming or idealist.

You're totally right: in the best of places the worst can happen. That's precisely what seems happened in that cafeteria, from the video link above. But, again, you guys are right: that proves guns help protecting people :er:

Americans, what did you expect.

<runs and hides before they come with their guns :p>

Chapeau, Garbz!!

And now I'll leave this thread and try to concentrate back on cameras alone. When it gets to the aesthetics of the way carrying a lethal weapon, it's the moment for me to stop discussing and get out of here :(

I'm another CWP holder here, and there is always a Sig Sauer 226 in my glove compartment. It rarely comes out of there and almost never when photography is involved. I did take it a few months ago when I was out in the country shooting waterfalls though. Just didn't feel comfortable hiking several miles in the boonies along with $1500+ in gear. I have never really had much of an occasion to take it out of the car, but wouldn't hesitate to use it if the need arose. I'm a fairly good shot up to 30 yards.
Fascinating. You enable the option of taking another person's life over $1,500?

By now this thread would usually be locked. I think many of you know we do not allow Gun use debates on this forum... everytime someone makes a post it is always from thier own perspective... from thier own areas of the world... these things simply do not apply to other people from around the world, so like politics, trying to force your opinion on people is futile.
However on this occasion i am willing to leave the thread open, as long as people are full of understanding and thoughtfulness... if it turns into an 'im right your wrong' arguement then it will be locked.

First, anyone who thinks they can avoid all lethal or dangerious situations is either dreaming or an idealist. In the best of places the worst can happen, simply a fact of life in the modern world.

I could have quoted a dozen or so people for this idea... so im not trying to single you out here... many americans have this opinion.

The point is... its not the modern world... here in England we have amongst the lowest gun related deaths in the entire world, america has by a long way one of the highest.
In england it is illegal to carry a gun, the average police officer doesn't carry a gun... virtually no gun related accidents happen... if you get mugged or attacked, the criminal will more than likely not be carring a gun.

So it makes sense that if guns are so difficult to aquire and frowned upon even by law enforcement... the chances are i will never be theatend by one.. and frankly i doubt i will ever see a real gun in my life... so no, im not a dreamer or an idealist... i simply live in an anti-gun society, and i am very very glad of that. ;)

I feel sorry tho for the people that don't like gun usage, that live in such a pro gun society.. it must be very difficult.

Have you tried any of the ones with leather against the body and kydex away from it? I've got a Crossbreed like that, but it doesn't get cold enough here to affect the leather.
The crossbreed holsters are outstanding, especially the inside the waistband variety. This is my daily carry and it's amazingly comfortable.

mtac_6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back