Do you carry....protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[I haven't read the rest of this thread, only the first post.]

I carry a high-power green laser pointer. Works for me.

:lol:
By protection I mean; mace, pepper spray, knife, gun, tazer, etc?

I ask because I am a chicken when it comes to "iffy" areas that I would love to shoot in but am worried about my gear attracting unwanted attention (i.e. mugging). I have never carried anything for protection before and doubt I would start now but I am wondering if alot of photographers do or if people are just braver then I am?

Ever walk near a big dog barking at you? Feel comfy? Not likely, I bet. And if you went near that dog, it would bite you in a second.

Human predators are the same. They smell fear and attack those that emanate that emotion.

I personally do not believe in asking for trouble... however there are those that like to push the envelope. In your case, I would say... there are better things to take pictures of other than things that place you in danger.

If you really must, rather than use a weapon that can easily be taken away from you and used against you... don't go... or at the VERY least, don't go alone. There is security in numbers.

I find that a bit of a foolish question... I just personally find it foolish to place myself in ANY place that I could hurt myself or someone else for the sake of a picture. Life is irreplaceable... what is that picture worth to you in the end?

... I'm pretty sure he won't let me take the REC7 with me! :sexywink:

Not even if you accessorize with a beret and bandoliers?

Photography is a hobby. Why are you spending time in areas where you feel threatened? How is that a good time?

That's why I've never understood discussions like this. Moving on ,...

Photography is a hobby. Why are you spending time in areas where you feel threatened? How is that a good time?

How do people enjoy free climbing?

To some it's the inherent risk associated that they find the most exillerating aspect of their hobby. I can't say that this is the case here but, it is something to ponder for a minuet.

If no one went anywhere even slightly dangerous, then no one would go anywhere at all.

When I do make it back to central america I will hire a driver/guard (they are always packing anyways)/assistant.

Blindingly bright. Non-lethal, non-physical damage-infliction.

I don't know that I'd classify the ability to cause permanent blindness as "non-physical damage" and a green laser will do so quicker than a red laser.

Almost always have a knife on my person, I feel naked w/o one. Never have used whether I'm carrying or not as a factor in going to an area; if you don't feel safe in an area unarmed you probably shouldn't be going in by yourself.

And your gun if carrying should always be your last line of defense.

what ever happened to taking pictures of the pretty flowers in one's own back yard? :lol:

There's an idea for a self portrait! :mrgreen:

I had to look back--

Thanks for the suggestion, but sorry, I look quite odd in a beret. Sort of like a human toadstool. :shock:

Most of this is really a non issue. The chances of being mugged while flipping through your iPod in a dark alleyway is high, taking a photo with a small point and shoot camera that can easily be snatched, equally high.

But carrying a large camera with a huge lens which has little street value, and most importantly is heavy and hard to run away with is an entirely different story.

One of my big scary friends had an ipod stolen right out of his hands and then couldn't catch the perp. But one of my tiny harmless friends had his laptop bag stolen from next to him, and the other guy got no further than 10 meter before getting horridly beaten down because running with a large bag is somewhat difficult.

And your gun if carrying should always be your last line of defense.

Yes, but deadly force with a knife is still just as deadly, and much harder to do. I carry pepper spray and a kubotan for those who can be persuaded, and a .357 snub for those who can't. I've had some practice with knives, but I don't see the reason to add in another step that has no legal or tactical advantage over the firearm.

As for those who say just run away, knee replacements are expensive even with good insurance, and I'm still at the point where it would almost certainly have to be redone at least once before I'm too old to care. As a security officer who can't run, I'd say my situational awareness is well above average, (especially when I see such shining examples of the average around me) but I still can't predict everything that's going to happen. My safety, and that of my wife and daughter, takes precedence over the equipment, but that doesn't mean I'm going to trust someone who's already threatening our safety to just take what he wants and leave us unharmed. There are just too many examples to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back