do you edit in Photoshop or lightroom ad why

Yes both. Lightroom is the library where I can get a good amount of work done and/or then click PS for extra touches like certain filters or to liquify for example.

I use mainly Adobe Camera Raw which is the same engine as Lightroom is.
Lightroom is aimed mainly at cataloging and developing raw images. It is not an EDITING program. You cannot pixel edit in LR.
Photoshop CS does have a cataloging program much like Lightroom, however Lightroom's cataloging is more intuitive and really just rocks in terms of cataloging your images. Bridge does the same things, but it's a little bit more work. To me? It's not a big deal at all, but to some it is a major bonus to catalog with LR.
Photoshop CS is a parametric AND pixel editing program. If you do no pixel editing then Lightroom is adequate. If you want to be able to EDIT at all, then Photoshop is necessary.

... If you do no pixel editing then Lightroom is adequate. If you want to be able to EDIT at all, then Photoshop is necessary.
Just to clarify, not to be argumentative, between the choices of Lightroom and Photoshop that is exactly correct. There are alternatives, however, that allow pixel-level editing without the cost of Photoshop.

I use LR for cataloging, global RAW adjustments, conversion to JPG or TIF (depending on what I'm doing with it from there), and for making print packages for clients like 5x7's and wallet sizes and so on. I use Photoshop for any serious editing I want to do.

I checked out LR when it first came out and just couldn't warm up to the process, tried again recently with the same results.

Basically , if i were looking for a cataloging program it might be fine, but i already have my work flow down and don't want to change.

Do use PS, but also a lot of third party software as it makes my life easier. Have to be in the right frame of mind to sit at the computer and I find that not helpful with the learning curve that PS needs. Software needs to be used on a regular basis to make sense for me, and so OnONe, Topazlabs and Nik make my life simpler.

I have both, I have Lightroom only because I have to have it. A lot of people I teach use it so I need to know it's ins and outs. For the most part except for a couple things, I hate it. Even as an Organizer. I can organize and do everything I need to do in Bridge (Sort, Tag, Metadata, rate) and I do it my way. I have a very organized mind and I want things organized my way not how Lightroom wants them. The whole import/export thing just pisses me off.

Love Photoshop, been using it forever can do things quicker in there than any other program. Does EVERYTHING I need, from RAW to layers. I don't have to... OK, I do this here, then I go to this program , then this program...it just gets done and I can move on

I checked out LR when it first came out and just couldn't warm up to the process, tried again recently with the same results.

Basically , if i were looking for a cataloging program it might be fine, but i already have my work flow down and don't want to change.

Do use PS, but also a lot of third party software as it makes my life easier. Have to be in the right frame of mind to sit at the computer and I find that not helpful with the learning curve that PS needs. Software needs to be used on a regular basis to make sense for me, and so OnONe, Topazlabs and Nik make my life simpler.

I have taken some Nik Software seminars and think that they are interesting products overall. While I have focused on the Silver Efex primarily, I have wondered who here is a user of their multiple products. Good to knwo ann, good to know.:thumbup:

I have both, I have Lightroom only because I have to have it. A lot of people I teach use it so I need to know it's ins and outs. For the most part except for a couple things, I hate it. Even as an Organizer. I can organize and do everything I need to do in Bridge (Sort, Tag, Metadata, rate) and I do it my way. I have a very organized mind and I want things organized my way not how Lightroom wants them. The whole import/export thing just pisses me off.

Love Photoshop, been using it forever can do things quicker in there than any other program. Does EVERYTHING I need, from RAW to layers. I don't have to... OK, I do this here, then I go to this program , then this program...it just gets done and I can move on

This is very much me too. I have lightroom3 because the school provided it to me. Otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it. I hate working lightroom most of all because you can ONLY work in ProPhoto colorspace. ProPhoto is a larger gamut colorspace than most monitors can see and it is so much larger than what the lab requires that your images shift in looks when you convert them. There are perfectly good ways to deal with this, but for me it was more PITA than anything else. I'd convert and invariably NOT be happy at all. I even went to an Adobe class on LR and they couldn't get me to be happy with it. I am stuck in my ways! I can use it, but it's essentially just a space taker on my editing computer.

My workflow is LR then photoshop (in the rare events further is required such as editing out something or using a portrait or effects plug-in). But I use Lightroom for a whole lot more than cataloging. The develop, print, and web modules are off the chain awesome. After having a taste of the luxury of Lightroom i opt not to use aperture or Nikon's stuff or cameraRAW, Bridge, etc before photoshop

Like how the DAM book suggest, I edit everything I can in Lightroom, then edit the best ones in Photoshop, saves time.

Like how the DAM book suggest, I edit everything I can in Lightroom, then edit the best ones in Photoshop, saves time.

Indeed. And just the 20,000,000 print presets and options in Lightroom alone are worth using the program :)

Lightroom is actually very capable, but I don't like how plugins integrate inside it, plugin just seems better/faster in Photoshop. I use Photoshop only for very customized/precise editing, many photographs are actually not worth to be worked on in Photoshop. If Lightroom include a proper levels/curves, selection (including color range) and better plugin support, I would almost never need to go to Photoshop. It would be nice if they allow people who have Photoshop to have some of its feature integrated inside.

Most reactions

Back