Do you every just have a cleaning session?

When do you clean your equipment

• I clean my equipment regularly to ensure clarity.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I only clean my equipment only when I see dirt.

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some of my pictures have looked blurry or hazy lately when I thought I was in a a very clear and crisp setting with no haze or sunlight. I have never considered cleaning my lenses proactively, and I generally just rid the lenses/mirror/sensor of specks once I notice them.

Is it common to proactively clean your lenses and equipment, even if you don't notice them being dirty just to ensure clarity, or do you avoid messing with them to be safe? I'd just like to know how others deal with the cleanliness issue. Honestly, I'm kinda scared of my camera because of the delicate nature of the sensor, so I don't go in there unless I have a speck I need to rid my pictures of.

Thanks.

Bad news. Your gear is always dirty. The variable is how dirty it is. If you wait till you can see it's dirty you're already way behind.

I use a flashlight to inspect all my glass. It's amazing how much more garbage you can see on the lens that way. Oh, you can see inside the lens pretty good too so you know when it's time to send it in to get all the dust cleaned out.

I've never cleaned my 350D sensor in the 3 or 4 years I've had it, and change my lenses in all sorts of dubious environments. I have a few dust bunnies, but nothing that can't be fixed in post.

Haze isn't going to be a sensor issue. I'm not saying its IMPOSSIBLE, but a dirty sensor is going to manifest itself as spots/marks on your photos. Now definitely a finger smudge on your lens or some gunk will cause that, but on the sensor - man you'd have had to REALLY get in there for that to happen.

As for the regularity - only when It becomes an issue. Photoshop clears out many sensor "spots."

you don't do make then do you Chris? ;)

As for cleaning I tend to either only clean when needed or if I am going out for a trip I will do a load of kit cleaning (mostly lenses) before going out just to be on the safe side the next day.
I do a fair amount of macro so I do try to keep my sensor clean - otherwise its a right pain and sometimes you can't edit the dust out:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/3407470294_68debf4c8a_o.jpg
the eye a dust spot right in the middle - in backgrounds its fine, but not in the eye its not!

I only blow off my gear with a blower every once in a while. I dont do wet cleanings unless absolutly necessary. The less you physically touch stuff, the less chances for scratching or damaging it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back