Do you give the copies of raw files?

No. Full stop. Occasionally, to commerical clients, when it's specified in the contract, I will provide full-resolution .tif files, but never .nef files. Does the client actually understand what a "raw" file is, and have the skill and software to process it? As for your proof, that would be covered by attaching a 'shot sheet' to the TF* agreement.

Does the client actually understand what a "raw" file is, and have the skill and software to process it?
He claims he is a photographer, and he shoot a small Rebel dslr.

That would be a red flag to me. I mean if they're pictures of him, it will be hard to claim self portraits that are super well done, but even so I would say you shouldn't give him the RAW files. If he wants them tell him he has to pay for them at the very least, and stipulate in a contract that you can still claim ownership of the shots.

I need some evidences to proof I did shoot these pictures. If I give him the raw files, he could claim as his own.
He could claim them as his own regardless what file type you give him.

Two things.
1. Raw files can be copied.
2. Metadata in the Raw file can show in the Exif and IPTC fields who the copyright owner is and the terms of usage that are allowed.

I need some evidences to proof I did shoot these pictures. If I give him the raw files, he could claim as his own.

Two things.
2. Metadata in the Raw file can show in the Exif and IPTC fields who the copyright owner is and the terms of usage that are allowed.

Can the metadata be modified in the raw files?

Two things.
And the Metadata can be edited at a later date to show whoever is the copyright owner.

Two things.

Can the metadata be modified in the raw files?
Simple answer - Yes.

I have never given a client a RAW file. I have sent full res tiff files. I have shared RAW files with friends to play around with processing.

Maybe ask him why. Find out why he wants the Raw files or why he thinks he needs them or what he intends to do with them.

Because what he really wants might be hi res good quality photos, which you can provide without giving out original Raw images. I don't know if people who aren't photographers realize that.

If he won't do a photo session in trade without getting Raw images then I'd probably say this isn't going to work out, and don't do a shoot with him. Probably not going to be worth the trouble.

I've never given a raw file to anyone up to this point. I could however, see where I photographed one of my photographer friends and gave them a raw or two to let them edit that was of themselves. I guess it all depends on what the agreement of the shoot it and what it's for.

If I would agree to a TFP, I would deliver jpeg files for that person.

Most reactions

Back