Do you have backpacking experience as a photographer? What backback to purchase...

Hi Colin,

I agree that a standard 'hiking' backpack would be the best idea...and then try to find a way to stow your camera gear.

I looked into photo backpacks (as I do a lot of backpacking with my camera) and I didn't find anything nice. I go with a large backpack that holds my camera gear. I usually put it in a camera bag to keep it safe. I like Ospery Packs, as they make very comfortable packs in large variations.

In my opinion, don't go for a photo backpack. Go to your local outdoor store and have a rep there fit you with some packs. Bring in all your backpacking gear along with your photo gear and see if it will fit in that pack. Keep in mind many packs come with a few variations (Small, medium and large).

I've done the backpacking routes with everything in one big bag (70L, big enough to carry a friend for free) and with 2 smaller bags (about 30L max). The second option was the most flexible, comfortable and easiest to control. I had to repair my new P&S that was in the 70L (admittedly I could've packed it better) as it got flung around a lot at each airport.

With 2 smaller bags you get to keep one as your carry-on (and thus your camera, small change of clothes, money and stuff you can't lose) and the other takes its chances in cargo. It's easier for getting around on public transport this way, one bag on your back and the other on your front.

Best of all, with 2 smaller packs it's harder to overpack, and since you're heading to Asia, you don't need to bring much clothes-wise - cheap and easy to buy stuff locally, and you won't feel guilty ditching it when it gets worn or you don't want to pack it back home.

Ditto on advice so far. Get good backpacking equipment. I'd go with a second bag for photo stuff that you can carry in front (keep that with you on planes or wherever - never check it)

Also, get some good walking sticks - one or two depending on you preference. They are MOST useful - and a necessity once your knees start going (lol/ouch). Best if the compress in 3 sections - shorter for getting into checked baggage.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back