abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Imagination?

Imagination?

Well let's see.

When I was a kid, a stick could be a rife, a sword, a cane, an item carrying a secret message, dynamite, a writing or drawing tool, a pointer, a telescope, a bow, or an arrow, a spear, a boomarang that didn't work right, and about a million other items.

When I was a kid playing was done outside, with friends, with little or no real stuff, everything was imagined. Stacked boxes were a fort, big box was a rocket ship, cave, tower, race car or a submarine. Pots were drums, garbage can lids were shields and you and your friends could be cowboys, indians, spys, aliens, monsters or enemy soldiers or anything else you saw on tv or at the movies. Brooms were horses.

When I was a kid your "video game" was you imagination. That was half the fun of playing, making stuff up and having fun. And some things you had to imagine cause there was just no other way. Now everything is spoon fed. Video games have replaced imagination for playing and for entertainment, well when two people embraced in a movie and then the screen faded to dark, you knew what they were doing, kind of. Now well, I am amazed how well the computer wizez can digitally remove a tattoo from a butt or a breast on some of the actresses these days. :blushing:

And since I am just a big kid these days, yeah, I think I have imagination. It's something that is developed, you're not born with it.

I used to have one, but grad school and two marriages gone wrong kinda sucked it all out of me.

I'd like to think that if you are a photographer at any level...you have imagination.

Well let's see.

When I was a kid, a stick could be a rife, a sword, a cane, an item carrying a secret message, dynamite, a writing or drawing tool, a pointer, a telescope, a bow, or an arrow, a spear, a boomarang that didn't work right, and about a million other items.

<snipped>

And since I am just a big kid these days, yeah, I think I have imagination. It's something that is developed, you're not born with it.
Excellent post and my thoughts exactly. I was the same way and your stick was exactly what my stick was. I have many memories of visiting grandma and grandpap who lived in their old hunting camp for retirement. Running water was a pump from the crick (pittsburgh coming out of me there) and they had just gotten a septic tank for a bathroom. Previous it was an outhouse until they moved to live up there full time.

Those woods up in the Allegheny National Forest were just full of enemy troops and my brother and I took them all on by ourselves with our trusty guns (read as sticks to the unimaginative.)

Back then in my day it wasn't video games and computers. But it was TV. TV kept many of the kids indoors and not using and developing their imaginations. Today I have 2 girls and neither of them have a TV in their rooms. I have an old Sega Genesis video game console and that is all we have in the house. No XBox, no Playstation, no Wii.

Last night my girls were running through the woods for their life being chased by a ferocious mountain lion. The woods was in the basement, the ferocious mountain lion was a 8 month old yellow Lab that is about as ferocious as a mouse.

I sit and watch them play proud of my transference of imagination to them. They do have access to the computer any time they want and access to the TV in my bedroom when they want. Last night I was on the computer and after I was done, I asked if they wanted to play. "Nope, we're too busy being chased by this mountain lion," they exclaimed as they shrieked in fear because the "mountain lion" doubled back on them and cut them off around the steps, er... I mean the cave entrance.

Imagination, it is a beautiful thing.

Excellent post and my thoughts exactly. I was the same way and your stick was exactly what my stick was. I have many memories of visiting grandma and grandpap who lived in their old hunting camp for retirement. Running water was a pump from the crick (pittsburgh coming out of me there) and they had just gotten a septic tank for a bathroom. Previous it was an outhouse until they moved to live up there full time.

Those woods up in the Allegheny National Forest were just full of enemy troops and my brother and I took them all on by ourselves with our trusty guns (read as sticks to the unimaginative.)

Back then in my day it wasn't video games and computers. But it was TV. TV kept many of the kids indoors and not using and developing their imaginations. Today I have 2 girls and neither of them have a TV in their rooms. I have an old Sega Genesis video game console and that is all we have in the house. No XBox, no Playstation, no Wii.

Last night my girls were running through the woods for their life being chased by a ferocious mountain lion. The woods was in the basement, the ferocious mountain lion was a 8 month old yellow Lab that is about as ferocious as a mouse.

I sit and watch them play proud of my transference of imagination to them. They do have access to the computer any time they want and access to the TV in my bedroom when they want. Last night I was on the computer and after I was done, I asked if they wanted to play. "Nope, we're too busy being chased by this mountain lion," they exclaimed as they shrieked in fear because the "mountain lion" doubled back on them and cut them off around the steps, er... I mean the cave entrance.

Imagination, it is a beautiful thing.

Where I grew up there was kid's TV from 4:30 until 5:30 during the week then it was the national news.

Saturday's Mighty Mouse came on at 8:00, Heckle & Jeckle at 8:30, Bugs Bunny/Road Runner show (with all the violence still in the cartoons OMG) from 9 to 10, Roy Rogers at 10:00, Sky King at 10:30 (Man at 9 years old I thought Penny was HOT) and then it was grown up TV.

We lived outdoors except on Saturday Morning and then we were usually all at someones house watching until Roy Rogers came on. Then we were not home till dark except for lunch and dinner if we had to.

Now you have to shut the electricity off to the house to get a kid out the door. :lol:

Now you have to shut the electricity off to the house to get a kid out the door. :lol:
They will just use a power generator :p. I play video games when I am too bored and it is too cold to go out and shoot.

I love those good old days when I was 5 in Poland. The bushes were a base lol

Other than Roy Rogers and Sky King (don't know what that is) I had the same cartoons along with Woody Woodpecker and Tom and Jerry (no violence in that, hehe).

I have the Boomerang channel and my kids love Tom and Jerry. They record every episode on the DVR. They watch maybe an hour of TV a day, a bit more in the winter. Mostly they are either running around with the dog or playing Littlest Petshops, Webkinz, and my 8 yr old is really into dinosaurs right now. Her dinosaurs are constantly trying to eat my 5 yr old's Littlest Petshop figures, hehe.

They have a choice right before bedtime, they can watch TV for half an hour (again, one of my old cartoons on the Boomerang channel) or they can play in their rooms for half and hour. About 70% of the time it's play in their rooms where my 8 year old lays in bed reading books and the 5 year old loves to draw.

It just puts such a huge smile on my face knowing that they would rather play together, read, or draw than sit staring at the TV or playing video games (they mess on the computer for maybe 10 minutes or so before they are bored with it).

Personally I have a strong imagination. I perceive and create images not based on the reality that is actually there. Check out my book. The work is a constant battle. Takes me some time to figure out what I am trying to say.

I think it is cute that people mention their past. It is very important. Have to say that it is about where you are at. Not where you are from.

Love & Bass

Personally I have a strong imagination. I perceive and create images not based on the reality that is actually there. Check out my book. The work is a constant battle. Takes me some time to figure out what I am trying to say.

I think it is cute that people mention their past. It is very important. Have to say that it is about where you are at. Not where you are from.

Love & Bass

Agreed- you have a great imagination! I really like your book.

In a nutshell,...

I think imagination is the springboard of creativity and shouldn't be thought of as confined to children. It's something we should strengthen and continue developing throughout our lives.

Some days I have it and, other days my mind is devoid of it. I do alot of improvements on things I have to work with. I imagine how it would work then I have to invent it. So maybe inventiveness is imagination all grown up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back