Do you need to know the technical aspects to be a good photographer?

Do you need to know the super technical aspects to be a good photographer?

• Yes

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • maybe

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • i think about runnah while in the shower.

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
Actually, I normally do whip up something real nice in my Vitamix after. You won't taste the flaxseed.

Sounds delightful. Bikram or traditional?

Be warned I do yoga in European style bathing attire.

Actually, I normally do whip up something real nice in my Vitamix after. You won't taste the flaxseed.

You sound exactly like the girl I'm seeing. Vitamix, bikram yoga and all. Creepy.

You sound exactly like the girl I'm seeing. Vitamix, bikram yoga and all. Creepy.

Nah. Yoga once a week just so I can use my Vitamix to make the best chocolate milkshakes ever, and not care about the calories. Plus, yoga gets rid of all the stress from the week.

This is kinda what my class looks like. Just picture me in the middle of this laughing yoga class. Yeah, it's that funny. If you don't laugh at this there is something wrong with you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My view is that you need to know the technical to sufficient depth that you know how it affects your photos and how you can manipulated it. Sure you don't need to know the whole electronic explanation of how ISO works or how your sensor captures light; but you need to know how various different ISO's will work in varying lighting conditions and how to use the ISO to best effect.

It's like all things, you can learn anything into a great depth if you so choose, but most of the time there is a practical working understanding that will give you the core tools that you need and any learning beyond that is learning for the fun of things. Then again sometimes learning that little bit more can open up new ideas.

for example I know macro photographers who've learnt and then built their own external shutters so that they can take photos of insects with vastly reduced shutter lag compared to the DSLR's own shutter. That additional understanding of how the camera works and how light works within the setup led them to identify the problem (the shutter lag) and then presented a solution for them (external shutter). From which they could get shots that otherwise they couldn't.

Nailed it.

I think the important part of understanding, in any aspect of life, is understanding what consequences will come from your actions. Everyone knows that using soap and water will remove dirt from your hands. But not everyone knows that, on a chemical level, soap molecules make hydrogen bonds with oil on one end (which is the oil on our skin that the dirt sticks to) and also hydrogen bonds with water on the other end, so the dirt/oil, soap and water are washed away when you rinse your hands under the faucet.

I think fundamental technical aspects of photography are essential to understand on a more complex level because using that knowledge intuitively will follow.

PS: All of the photography related equation I've seen are very simple. They are mostly plug and play, no algebra, trigonometry or calculus. Anyone should feel free to contact me if you need help understanding or solving these equations.

7 pages of this. Can we give runnah his much desired "starter of threads from hell" badge and move on now? :grumpy:

Merit-Badge_0004a.jpg

That looks more like the "Don't forget to take toilet paper with you into the woods" badge.

It was really the best I could find. :)

Next thread topic: Does one need to know where to find super-cool and super-appropriate web badges in order to be a good moderator????

That would be SO helpful.

Or a badge for making your own on Photoshop? :D

Most reactions

Back