Do you print your own work?

is photography worth doing if you never print your work?

• Yes

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With everything being digital and the ease of how you can shoot and store images, i'm wondering how many people here ever do really print their own work in any form? Also as an extra question in the poll: is photography worth doing if you never print your work?

I have a huge collage behind my couch about 5ft x 4ft made up of around 10 images of my best work.

I also just recently bought about 25 gallery frames to start hanging some stuff up.

Yes it's worth doing if you don't make prints.

I print my own.

Joe

Depends on how you intend to use an image I suppose. It wouldn't be for me because I don't post much online.

I read there's an expectation that we might actually end up with fewer photographs from this era in history than in the past because people aren't saving them as much.

I usually print some 4x6s of any series of photos I've taken, and print 8x10s of anything significant. I print my own.

I regularly have prints made. Either I print here, or I have them printed. I print for myself, I print for clients. I frame and hang larger prints on the walls, I put smaller prints in photo albums, I sell print packages to clients, I give prints to loved ones, in frames or just loose for them to do as they will with them.

I love seeing prints of my work, the bigger the better.

Is it worth doing if you never print your work? I guess that's up to each individual.

For me, I guess I'd answer yes, it'd still be worth it. If it were suddenly impossible to ever print again, but I could still see and display my work digitally, I'd keep doing it.

I print my own work all the time, although it would still be worth doing if I didn't, as a print isn't the only medium with which to view them.

I printed 4 samples once. Still have yet to get around to actually ordering the prints in the size I want...

I have a lot of my own work printed; not only am I continually updating my portfolio, but there are some images I actually like enough to display at home, and it's always nice to have samples to show people.

How is everything digital ? I shoot 99% film and make silver prints in my darkroom and so do many others

I just ordered my first real print today. I'll post a picture of the print when it arrives and it's about 60x90cm or 2x3 feet. (i think)

I have posted on here in the past, printing is very gratifying for me! Even if they are 4x6's destined for the desk drawer. Nicely framed prints make for great gifts as well. I keep small prints of the kids in magnetic photo sleeves to stick on fridges. If I couldn't hold a great picture in my hand I'm not sure photography would be worth it.

Yes it's worth doing if you don't make prints.
+1.
Early on I did my own printing.
But time I spent in the darkroom developing film and making prints took away time from making new photographs.
So I quit making my own prints and farmed all that work out to a good print lab.

Yes, for me it would still be worth doing without printing. But I much prefer others peoples reaction when viewing a print. Sometimes I learn something just by having a print that is always visible.

When I shot Kodachrome it was a very low percentage of images that were printed. When I shot B&W film I would print at least a few images from every roll.

A few years ago I started a photography journal and every New Year's Day I write out my goals for that year. In 2013 my goal has been to print a minimum of 26 photos. Some are gifts, some are for my home, some for my office and some for contests. But since then that has been a goal for every year. Would it be worth it if I couldn't print.... sure. I mean I could still share them... but there is something magic about an actual print in my hand.

A few years ago I started a photography journal and every New Year's Day I write out my goals for that year. In 2013 my goal has been to print a minimum of 26 photos. Some are gifts, some are for my home, some for my office and some for contests. But since then that has been a goal for every year. Would it be worth it if I couldn't print.... sure. I mean I could still share them... but there is something magic about an actual print in my hand.
Yeah, there is something about putting your work on a permanent medium. The commitment to having it look its best becomes so much more real since you cant do any more adjustments. At least that's been my experience, i'm still doubting if i made the right choices when i sent out my picture to be developed into a large print.

Most reactions

Back