Do you really need all this?

Dave Maciak

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back in prehistoric times I moved up from an F to an FTN, Wow! A camera with an onboard light meter! What next? This afternoon I read the Nikon ad and tech specs for the Z9.
Unless you're a pro, do you really need all of that or do you just like to have all those features--and never use most?
Reminds me of some of the 4WD vehicles I see loaded with everything to go off road. Most go off road through the carwash and never see dirt. Don't get me wrong, I use a D780 and a lot of features are rarely used or just ignored.
Sorry if this boils your blood, but I wonder.

The best thing I ever did is get rid of my DSLR gear...... :encouragement:

Many of the 'features' are software-driven. They don't add any weight or mechanicals to the camera.

Back in prehistoric times I moved up from an F to an FTN, Wow! A camera with an onboard light meter! What next? This afternoon I read the Nikon ad and tech specs for the Z9.
Unless you're a pro, do you really need all of that or do you just like to have all those features--and never use most?
Reminds me of some of the 4WD vehicles I see loaded with everything to go off road. Most go off road through the carwash and never see dirt. Don't get me wrong, I use a D780 and a lot of features are rarely used or just ignored.
Sorry if this boils your blood, but I wonder.
Comes with the camera, you're free to ignore. I have a Nikon Z7. I bought it for the sensor. I use the sensor and I use the light meter and metering functions to help me better use the sensor, I use the EC function and semi-auto exposure modes to better help me use the sensor and I use the single focus point AF function frequently but not always. If the camera does anything else I don't want to know about it.

I started with film and cameras without built-in light meters back in the late 60s. When digital showed up I made the switch -- very positive move. Digital is so much easier.

Last edited:
I can't think of any camera I've ever used, no matter when, where I used the T setting.

No
I probably use less than 20% of the functionality of my camera. And I don't do any video.

But it allows more people to use the same camera.
Example, I probably use less than 20% of the functionality of my camera (no video). But someone else may use a different 20% (some video), and someone else yet another different 20% (LOTS of video). But we use the same camera, rather than three different cameras.

-

This is a place to confuse things bit.

Throughout the menus, there are options to do or not and possibly
in 3, 5, or more flavours. Every time, a choice must be made. When
it is done… why think about it anymore.

My D850, for one, is set so that I have no more than three things to
check or confirm prior to SR. That doesn't mean that I use only three
controls on it but that I am left with only those.

I am sure many are not aware that they use their cameras a lot more
than they think.

Am I confusing things even more? :confused-72:

I have an F5 and am far from using everything it offers. However there's a few I find rather handy. I've had it long enough to have used most of the features at least once. It's equipped with the MF-28 back so has even more than a standard F5. One I've yet to use but am itching to is trap focus. I want to use it at the race track in a specific corner that offers interesting action.

That being said I have a '72 Nikon F I enjoy using too. Meter's toast so I use it with my Weston Master II. I have a Nikon FM2n too. Nice simple camera that is a joy to use. A couple Nikon digitals too. In the end it's horses for courses. I find it better to have and not need than to be left wanting.

Nah, most people see my car and probably think I'm an 4x4 SUV soccer mom. But on the weekends I go target shooting, fishing, and out into hills in winter.

Nah, most people see my car and probably think I'm an 4x4 SUV soccer mom. But on the weekends I go target shooting, fishing, and out into hills in winter.
Me too - I have a Landrover Discovery 2019 with all the kit- I was a Gamekeeper until I retired last year I go shooting( .223 & 243 to name a couple ) too and an off road 4x4 is a must for me - especially for photographing wildlife :)

I digress_ shoot with several Sony FF bodies and once the menus / settings have been set I leave them set - probably don't use more than 40% of capability

Les :)

This has been a very good thread and I've enjoyed reading the responses of others. I have often thought that most electronic items have options that most people will never use. The same is especially true of cameras..

I use some features on the D750, ignore others, like video. I bought it for the sensor, not all of the features.

Our Gladiator, though capable, is bone stock; I have no plans to stray. No off-roading yet, but I do plan on some "soft" roads once we are done with some extended family things. Hoping this will lead to some photo ops.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back