Do you shoot during inclement weather?

Rockadile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I won't be seeing sunshine and daisies anytime soon so I need some ideas on what to do during times of cold/windy/rain/snow/hail etc.
Do you use rain covers and/or housings? What do you photograph? Have any personal favorites you like to share?

I've shot sports in everything from -50c to +120F, in every kind of weather condition. If it's just rain I use large garbage bags and duct tape to cover the lens and bodies, it's cheap, tears off easy, and easy to keep in the camera bag. Just throw it away when done. It's easier with digital in the cold, don't have to try and re-load, we used to break the film leaders off when it was really cold. Keeping spare battery packs inside your coat to keep them warm. If you have more than one camera and have to go from extreme cold to warm to shoot, keeping a body and lens inside your jacket will help stop it from fogging up. The toughest part is keeping the hands and feet warm, once they get cold or damp, it's not long before you'd be done.

I love the atmosphere in bad weather. I will definitely shoot in it. But if it's actively raining or snowing anything more than a drizzle, then I won't shoot except from within a shelter. I've really only been out once in active rain, and that was during a kelby walk. The walk leader had plastic bags for us to cover up our cameras with. It worked ok but I'd still rather not.
As far as cold, yea I'll do that too. just dress for it.

zip lock bag works and of course these days there is a special "bag" made for the camera. THey aren't expensive, two to a pack and easy to keep handy in the camera bay.

I guess I'm Lucky, I don't worry about weather, I've shot in rain, snow, hot, cold, Torrential downpours. My e3 is weather proof.

I was hoping for a lightning storm to shoot in this year, no luck during reasonable hours. They make cool things that wrap around your camera and hand, only lens is exposed, I figured I would just shoot under the rear door of my suv though if I thought I could catch a lightning storm. Tornado shots are kind of cool too. I'm not big on cold weather but there's a day or two a year where the frost/ice/snow sticks to the trees making it a winter wonder land, I think that would be a pretty cool shot.

Unfortunately for me, covering sports happens in all kinds of weather, as I mentioned about extremes, I've gone from shooting snowboarding in -45 and then an hour later inside shooting swimming at 100f. Shooting football for 3 hours in a constant downpour is probably my least favourite, although it does make for dramatic images, it just drains you mentally and physically, especially if it's cold as well. You don't get alot of the weekend photographers shooting sports when it's cold or raining, seems that being dedicated to photography ends when the sun goes in. It's really too bad, some of the best pictures are happening when the weather is bad. Doesn't make it easy though, I'd still rather be out in the sun.

If you don't have a weather sealed camera, use protection! This means, lens and camera. Cheaper lenses generally aren't sealed and putting an unsealed lens on a weather sealed camera is like submerging a submarine with all the windows open. It's just going to end with a lot of dead seamen.

So, what if you have a weather sealed lens and not a camera? Plastic bags work well provided they don't have holes. Putting one hole in for the lens and putting the bag over the camera will help to keep it dry. It's not the perfect solution, but it works in a pinch.

I use the big green garbage bags when in the rain, with my 300 2.8 I punch a hole for the lens hood, duct tape around that point, and then a hole for the viewfinder and tape around it, it's a pain trying to chimp, but in the rain, that can wait. You're right about making sure it's sealed tight, a buddy of mine was shooting in the rain years ago with 2 Canon 1D's just after they came out, wrote them both off, seems Canon wasn't big on rain seals back then.

Yes, great shots can be composed in dreary, wet (reflective) weather. Immedately after also when the skys clear---less haze, colors "appear" more intense, cleaner, etc.

Regards,
Kyle

I carry covers but very seldom use them since I'm shooting with well sealed gear. So far it's only in the heaviest of rainstorms when I've put them on. In the past I've used 2 gallon zip-loc bags, put a slice in the crease at the bottom that is slightly smaller than the lens hood and slide in from the zipper side for a nice tight fit on the lens. The zipper side will still protect the camera, but allow enough room for your hand to get inside to operate the controls and leaves the view finder available to easliy see what you are shooting.

I love shooting in lousy weather, the lighting is much more interesting and for the way I shoot colors just seem to really pop. that and there are fewer people out to get in the way.

I shoot in different weather due to also being a storm spotter (going out in strong and severe storms) and Fire Dept. Photographer (emergencies happen no matter the weather). Keep spare batteries inside coat, dress for the weather. I actually didn't shoot an emergency call last winter due to a snow storm that dumped 18-22'' in my area at the time. I chose to be smart and stay home. Chief later agreed stating all that would have shown up in the shot would be white snow since it was snowing so hard.

I shoot in pretty well all kinds of weather except for thick fog which is impossible to shoot around or through. On the other hand when the sun starts breaking up the fog or a wind starts moving it out.....then it can be time for shooting again.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back