Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been shooting for 4.5 years now.

I still get nervous, nearly every time.

I have a shoot today and it is 100% PRESSURE FREE.

It's just for fun, with a pretty gal, and my best friend is coming along with me because he's bored and wants to play photographers with me.

THERE IS NO REASON FOR ME TO BE NERVOUS.

And yet I am. :lol:

I think part of it is because my friend is coming, haha. He's so good at what he does, he intimidates me a little, and while I'm more comfortable shooting and editing around him than I *used* to be, it still makes me a little nervous, haha.

The other part of it is just that I *always* get nervous before a shoot. I dunno why.

Anyone else still get nervous?

I get stressed for my job. I cover large construction events so I only have once chance to get tings right so a lot of time and energy goes into planning.

I get stressed for my job. I cover large construction events so I only have once chance to get tings right so a lot of time and energy goes into planning.

Yeah, I can imagine that be nerve racking. :lol:

To some extent I do. Was even nervous working on my selfies that I have been trying to take the last couple of weeks. (Wanting a new profile photo and to practice on my portraits)

It is, but I am a pro so I don't let it get to me. Plus I've been doing it for 10 years.

There's almost always a butterfly or two, not 'nervous' per se, but an awareness of responsibility or something I suppose.

It is, but I am a pro so I don't let it get to me. Plus I've been doing it for 10 years.

Yeah, I mean my clients never know I'm nervous. I think I hide it pretty well, but still. :lol:

yup... and I'm always more critical of my work than my clients are. That's mostly because I know what to look for and critique and the clients just think their kids are cute.

No. Last time I was nervous was shooting pool in the Bronx for $50 a game. I only had $30 in my pocket.

Seriously, it's probably kinetic energy and enthusiasm for the shoot that you feel. It's natural, productive, and should put you at your best. Embrace it.

I haven't been shooting for a long time, but I too get nervous.

I had a shoot this weekend I did for free for a married couple friend of mine.

I didn't know how to feel, but I was definitely nervous.

When I second shoot weddings with a friend of mine I am basically "nerve free".

I think this is due to me not necessarily being completely responsible for the entire bit of wedding photography.

I haven't been shooting for a long time, but I too get nervous.

I had a shoot this weekend I did for free for a married couple friend of mine.

I didn't know how to feel, but I was definitely nervous.

When I second shoot weddings with a friend of mine I am basically "nerve free".

I think this is due to me not necessarily being completely responsible for the entire bit of wedding photography.

Oh I'm still nervous when I second shoot too... because I don't want to hand over a bunch of sh*tty images. :lol:

It's not the bride and groom I'm worried about, it's the photographer I'm working with on those.

And... that friend I mentioned earlier... is the one I usually second shoot with... so that same "he intimidates me" nervous thing I get... still applies. :lol:

Oh I'm still nervous when I second shoot too... because I don't want to hand over a bunch of sh*tty images. :lol:

It's not the bride and groom I'm worried about, it's the photographer I'm working with on those.

And... that friend I mentioned earlier... is the one I usually second shoot with... so that same "he intimidates me" nervous thing I get... still applies. :lol:

Well, I too do not want to send over sh*tty images.

I was nervous when I actually sent the images, but wasn't when I was taking them.

I the woman I shoot for intimidates me too. I kind of know what you mean. Out of the two weddings I have done so for her, there has been 1 image she has actually told me she liked. Not that she says the rest are bad, she just doesn't really make me feel like I am actually producing something worth a damm.

Well, I too do not want to send over sh*tty images.

I was nervous when I actually sent the images, but wasn't when I was taking them.

I the woman I shoot for intimidates me too. I kind of know what you mean. Out of the two weddings I have done so for her, there has been 1 image she has actually told me she liked. Not that she says the rest are bad, she just doesn't really make me feel like I am actually producing something worth a damm.

Yeah, that's hard.

I know my friend likes my work, for the most part. He's critical (because I ask him to be), but he also lets me know when he likes something. And he's told me he prefers to shoot with me over anyone else, so it's not a matter of not know if he likes what I'm giving him or not... it's just that I want to make sure I nail it every single time for him, I get nervous.

Not like a DEBILITATING kind of nervous, but I'm always thinking really hard about what I'm doing and how. :lol:

It's DEFINITELY more relaxing than main shooting, but it's not 100% carefree for me, haha.

Although, he's super laid back, so there are definitely others I have shot with that I was *more* nervous with, because their studios were kind of a big deal, and I didn't wanna screw those up either. :lol:

I mean, it basically doesn't matter who I'm shooting, or shooting with. I'm just always a little nervous, hahahaha.

I mostly get nervous about keeping energy up and about posing. Unless you work with someone who knows their body very well (dancers, practiced models), then there can a lot of "What do I do with my hands" moments, and that's kind of a buzzkill.

The technical stuff isn't that bad unless I get to an editorial portrait assignment and the editor is like "Yeah, this area is usually pretty but right now it kind of sucks. Make it work!" lol Then I have to worry about conveying a relaxed photo that tells the story effectively, as well as the less-than-optimal surroundings.

Long story short, I'm pretty chill right before I get there and then I get uber nervous when I actually begin setting up and shooting.

Most reactions

Back