Do you take note cards in the field?

Shanman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do any of you take note cards, or maybe books with you when shooting? To remind you of what to do in certain conditions? I am trying to make a reference guide when I'm out to remind me since I'm new to photography. Is there already something like this out?

When I started photography my camera manual lived in my camera bag, as did my flash manual when I got one. If I was using any reference material for a shoot I'd also have that with me as well. Taking documentation and aids out into the field is very important as it provides an on-site reference that you can check right there and then to make sure that you're shooting correct. Being able to reference material at the time might slow you down a little (which is not always a bad thing) but it also means that you reinforce your practical learning with your theory learning.

Having the material at home or out of reach isn't much help as all it means is that you'll make mistakes (which you can still learn from) but not be able to realise what is going wrong until you've got back away from the shoot and can reference your books again.

There have been some "cheat sheets" offered with some of the camera-specific guide books for various d-slrs. Small, business-card-sized cards, laminated with plastic,etc.,etc.. In years past, Kodak produced some fairly small guide books that were designed to be slipped into a camera bag, and referenced in the field. I supposed that today, you could actually take digital photos of instructions/guides, and store them on your cell phone, or the camera's memory card, and reference them while out shooting photos.

Most of my 'notes' are on my smart phone. User manuals, and a ton of photo apps.

I have notes, e-books, PDF's and charts on my iPad- tucks right into my backpack with my gear.

I used to carry a notebook for writing down exposure settings used and stuff like that when I was shooting film (still do when I'm shooting film, actually). That and a few handy-dandy charts - Derrel mentioned the ones from Kodak, and a few of those lived in my bag back in the day.

Now, it's all smart phone based with apps for DOF and sunrise/sunset and PDF camera manuals and so on. I suppose I could be recording my film settings on it too, I just haven't quite transitioned to that yet.

On a specific photo shoot I try and do a lot of research on posses, props and backgrounds, and then write those down so that when I am in the thick of my photo shoot I do not forget a pose, scene or prop. I am pretty old school so I write these down on paper, since I do not have a smart phone...or cell phone at all (Electronic Leash I call them) :) But it is not so much note cards as it is just a list written down on paper.

Like Sparky, Buckster and others, where I used to always have use a notepad, everything is on my smartphone now.
Camera manual, bird and insect identification guides, several photography-related apps, etc.

I also have an app called Evernote that I use as my "note pad" in the field. I can create a "project"--for example, "Dec. 31 Photo Trip to Seven Islands"--then I can make notes about any photos I take, or notes about photos I want to come back and take (maybe at a different time of day, or under different weather conditions), even drawings of how I imagine something being set up, and they are all right in one place when I want them.

I just take a note pad everytime I go out to write down caption information, who, what, where, when, why.

I use a voice recorder app instead.

As mentioned above most notes were taken before features that assist us today were available. With features like Exif data, metering, GPS ect.. there is very little to take notes about. The little notes I take are done on my cell phone which make transfer to computer super easy.

For football, baseball, soccer and track & field I have notes on cards attached to the lens hoods of my big glass for every field. For indoor sports I have a notebook on every venue I shoot in. First time I shoot someplace new I get there early get out on the court, meter it in several key places and make notes. Every field house, arena, and complex has notes to make my life easier from the start.

When I started photography my camera manual lived in my camera bag, as did my flash manual when I got one. If I was using any reference material for a shoot I'd also have that with me as well. Taking documentation and aids out into the field is very important as it provides an on-site reference that you can check right there and then to make sure that you're shooting correct. Being able to reference material at the time might slow you down a little (which is not always a bad thing) but it also means that you reinforce your practical learning with your theory learning.

Having the material at home or out of reach isn't much help as all it means is that you'll make mistakes (which you can still learn from) but not be able to realise what is going wrong until you've got back away from the shoot and can reference your books again.

Oo magic lantern has color pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back