Do you think my photos are good enough to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good enough to sell? Most likely no. There's nothing exceptional about any of the images you posted. If you want to sell nondescript images like these, they need to be AWESOME. The proliferation of microstock sites has driven the market into the toilet.

Good enough to share and enjoy? Absolutely.

Why not just enjoy your hobby?

I take it you are new to forums? :)

Errr..not really; I joined this forum so long ago, my original username predates the members list of the TPF's present incarnation and no longer exists (I just checked). I think that's around a decade before your August 2011 join date :) Nice to see Dew's 'shadows' theme still rocking-on ;-) Blimey guv, how the years roll by!

Then I think about "well, if I could make and sell photos that would be awesome!". But if I'm being completely honest with myself, once I turn that into a business, it's going to quit being fun too because it turns a hobby into a job.

TBH, the business side of things is a real pain sometimes. Getting paid a couple grand to shoot somebody's wedding is wonderful, but all the leg work necessary to get to that point can be a drag.

And when you're shooting for you, there's nobody to tell you how and when to shoot.

Why not just enjoy your hobby?

Well the grass is always greener on the other side right? I enjoy technology, photography, and fast cars. Right now technology is how I make a living. Once I turned that into a way to make money it became a whole lot less fun.

Then I think about "well, if I could make and sell photos that would be awesome!". But if I'm being completely honest with myself, once I turn that into a business, it's going to quit being fun too because it turns a hobby into a job. I guess I was hoping it would be easier.

Cars? My dad did that as a business for many years, it's not something I would want to do for a living. Fun to drive, not that fun to fix. The car photo isn't of my car in case you're wondering.

Once it becomes a job, it will involve a lot more grind, as well as the good days. I work for myself but not photography. In fact I enjoy photography even more at the moment, the less craft it involves. P&S snaps of whatever I come across; not even knowing how the shot is, because the LCD and camera is covered in black tape. For me it's like sending off a roll of film and being surprised by what comes back.

When you work for yourself, it's like constantly having to blow up a balloon to survive. When you have a salaried/waged job, you have to put up with boss/coworker BS but you know the money's going to be there each payday. Maybe keep the dayjob and be free to do whatever you like with photography, whenever you choose.

TPF started in May of 2003.

There are some wedding shooters getting paid a couple thousand dollars per wedding that aren't actually making any money, and actually subsidize a part of the cost of the wedding photography they do.

If you can people to buy your photos, more power to you.

Last edited:
...I guess the thing that worries me more than anything (just because if it came down to it, business is business) is that basically everyone has a camera with them all the time...
Everybody got a car, but only a few of them become race drivers.
Everybody got a pen, but very few are paid for their articles.
Everybody got a kitchen, and how many earn their living as a cook?

Everybody got a ........, but only a few ....... (fill in the dotted line)

For myself, I am pleased to be a dilettante.

Having to take pictures, needing or hoping to sell them, would certainly stifle the joy I get out of it.

For myself, I am pleased to be a dilettante.

Having to take pictures, needing or hoping to sell them, would certainly stifle the joy I get out of it.

YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM! You and your "free pictures"

I'm just kidding. :p

I think it would be easier to me to leave it as a hobby if I was good at something else. I mean, I'm not actively trying to sell my images right now because my consistency sucks, but eventually I would like to. If I had interest or skill in something else that was lucrative and relatively secure in terms of employment then heck yeah I would would definitely do that. But I don't have either of those things. lol

In my mind, if you're good enough to get published on 1X.com, you have a shot at selling your images. If you get into the 1x.com yearbook, then you >should< be selling your images. It is not easy to get past the curators at 1x.com. They don't accept stock shots, or overdone motifs (no matter how amazing your sunset shot is, or your perspective on the Eiffel tower).

Another good site to measure yourself against is 500px.com. Check the images there and see if you really think you're at their level.

Then again, you never know...

Sent from my

Last edited by a moderator:
Threads like these make me realize to not make a pursuit of photography as a profession was a great one! After seeing what happened in my industry, the video and film industry, I decided I'd keep it as a hobby.

zombie_thread.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back