Do you use a monopod a lot?

tahmail

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been spending far too much on equipment lately but what the heck - let's keep a good thing going right? I just picked up a nice Bogan tripod but it can be cumberson to carry around outdoors hiking. Is it monopod time? Does it turn out to be something that picks up dust in the closet or an essential accessory to have?

I don't have one...but I always take a long look at them when I'm in the store. In the right situation, a monopod would be great...but it's not a tripod.

It depends exactly what you will be shooting. I got one and when I shot a football game it came in greeaaatt use. Aside from that game tho I haven't really used it. I'm not much of a tripod person either tho...

I drag my tripod everywhere. I simply tie it to my backpack when i go hiking. But if it is a sports game you are shooting a tripod just doesn't cover it. Especially car racing where a lot of panning gets done.

I have one but haven't really found a situation where I felt it was necessary yet.

I always use a tripod, and bought a monopod because I thought it would be easier to carry around in some situations. If I'm going anywhere where a tripod isn't practical, I bring the monopod. It's not as steady as a tripod, but it's quicker to use and it can fit in my purse-- well, basically.:) I've used it on vacations, when I was walking around a lot, and shooting indoors and outdoors. I'm glad I have it.

My hunch would be that a monopod probably won't be that much help when you're walking around outdoors, unless you have 300mm+ f2.8 lenses (a.k.a - the heaviest of the long lenses). I assume that most of the time when you're walking around outdoors, it is sometime during the day, which means its fairly bright. Most of the times you would be using a stabalizer would be for longer shutter speeds and need something that will keep your camera as still as possible. Monopods are most useful when you're shooting fast subjects with just barely enough light, so you need to reduce camera shake, but not keep it still for a long time.

Keep in mind, this post is working on quite a few assumptions, and if any of them are wrong, the advice may be very far off base.

I find it invaluable when I photograph events and use flash fill as I drag the shutter sometimes to an 1/8 of a second, if the exposure is to long for the mono pod than I really cannot take pictures of People who also move.

I use mine quite frequently.... My tripod's center column is a monopod.

IS is not a replacement for a good support like a tripod and monopod but is very convenient. I think of it like this:

[[LEAST STABLE MOST SHAKE - MOST CONVENIENT/MOBILE ]]
Handheld
IS
Bracing against a solid object
Monopod
Tripod
[[MOST STABLE, LEAST SHAKE - LEAST CONVENIENT/MOBILE ]]

Choose your weapon according to the situation. Reducing focal length (when possible) also helps.

I use my monopod exclusively. I take it everywhere I go. My primary lens is the Sigma 50-500 and it is too hevy to handhold most of the time.
My outfit with monopod.
normal_DBinMunich.jpg

I have a Tracks walking stick that I use when hiking. It has possitive click adjustment up to eye level. The top of the stick is a round hickory knob that is srewed onto a 1/4 inch camera thread. Very light and very sturdy. I have used often as a camera support. When out specifically for photography if I don't bring a tripod, I always bring a sturdy monopod with a ball head.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back