Do you use a monopod a lot?

After my posting that I don't use a monopod for my 300 2.8 I had a photographer that showed up to shoot the football game I was covering. He knows who I am, and how much football I shoot, he says straight up "you should use a monopod, it would help you" "Help with what, I don't need one", he had no answer to that. But then being built physically bigger than him, I could understand his statement.

I agree with that, everyone has different needs. For instance, unless I shoot all day using a 400mm lens, me being the 350lb guy I am will never use a monopod/tripod unless I'm using slow shutter speed or in very low light.

for me, monopod = something you use when you can't shoot handhold for whatever reason when you should be able to in normal situation.

After my posting that I don't use a monopod for my 300 2.8 I had a photographer that showed up to shoot the football game I was covering. He knows who I am, and how much football I shoot, he says straight up "you should use a monopod, it would help you" "Help with what, I don't need one", he had no answer to that. But then being built physically bigger than him, I could understand his statement.

I am 6'4" and far from skinny. I shoot hand-held and with a monopod. monopod allows fro lower ISO's or faster shutter speeds. How you shoot is your business, but it has nothing to do with size. Monopods simply allow you shoot under a wider range of conditions.

It depends on what I'm doing.

Casual shooting and pictures that go on instagram, I hardly ever use a monopod.

At weddings and other events, my camera is never off the monopod. But I do cinema, so it makes more sense. Can't have a shaky bride.

I should have maybe used the words physically stronger, instead of physically bigger. I have always spent a lot of time weight training so I can work without a monopod. Shooting sports I find it allows me to work more freely, especially with erratic sports that move up and down, or switching from horizontal to vertical. It's really a personal choice, but being able to hand hold a 300mm-400mm 2.8 covering 3-4 hour events does require more physical strength.

Shooting sports I find it allows me to work more freely, especially with erratic sports that move up and down, or switching from horizontal to vertical.

Shooting BIF also. Using a monopod is a PITA when your subject is on the ground and suddenly goes skyward (contortions to get low enough) or up in a tree and then swoops to the ground (tiptoes). I'm sure it's been comical watching me struggle like that.

Most reactions

Back