do you use flash on infants?

Wow the photo with the white sheet is so bright, and no, you're not stealing the thread. I am sure others are going to appreciate the tips too. Do you recommend any books about lighting techniques?

Not in particular. My word of wisdom would be to keep studying photographs. Ask yourself where the light source(s) are coming from, what were they using (natural, studio lights, on camera flash), if the light was modified (window, outdoor, umbrella, softbox) and ask yourself what you like or dislike about the images. Next (well, at the same time, it's a continuous learning process) shoot. Keep shooting. Figure out how to use these methods, what best compliments your style of shooting. To start look up Rembrandt, Butterfly, Short Lighting, Broad Lighting, Split Lighting - just to start familiarizing yourself with some of the terms.

Thank you, I have been using my camera in manual settings and trying to make changing setting second nature so I haven't done much with lighting and took my sisters photo at 4pm and she ended up with dappled light all over her face, they were hardly salvageable but yay for PS. Thank you for the terms. I will obsess on those all night now lol.

Back to the original question as asked:

I've spent the last 30 years in the classroom teaching photo. The question came up once in class about a decade ago when I had a pediatrician in class. For what it's worth, the pediatrician said this: Although there is no definitive evidence one way or the other, many experts (medical) are cautious about the developing state of newborn eyes and feel it is prudent to wait a couple months before subjecting the infant to much in the way of flash -- better safe than sorry. He said he warns parents to keep it down.

Joe

Last edited:
Ya, photographers are kind of the vampires of mid-day. We go into hiding. Mid-day lighting is by far some of the worst light you can have. It's harsh. It's overhead. It's bleck. All my engagement sessions I schedule in the very early morning and two hours before sunset. With weddings you have to work around the schedule given you (well, I try to have some input but that is beyond the point). For portraits consider later in the evening. If the sun is HORRIBLE and you can't avoid it, open shade is by far your best friend. If you are seeing a lot of dappling (and this isn't the look you are going for) put the light source at their back, expose for their face and let the background be overexposed.

That being said all my recent family or newborn sessions that I know are going to be inside I shoot during midday. Lots of light available outside and not a lot of direct coming into the house. And win :)

I realise your question was asking whether it's okay for the baby to use flash, not if it's better for the photo. But thought I'd chip in anyway. I've only taken photos of a baby once (more of a toddler, but same principles). Here are two photos, one with natural light from a window and one with a flash off-camera. Can you tell which is which?

IMG3667-XL.jpg

IMG3647-XL.jpg

So I guess my point is, if you don't need to use a flash then don't. Windows work well, although it helps if you have a fast prime lens to work with.

Most reactions

Back