do you use flash on infants?

Shadowbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. My sister is having a baby in a week or two, and I'd like to take great photos of him for her to have, it also gives me a chance to practice. I know this seems SO obvious but I would like to ask anyway. I will bring my D40X and I am also getting a flash, I think I'll get the SB-700 (used) even though I want a 900 or 800 I will save the money and wait until I have a better camera -- shoot I'm rambling again.

I'm excited because it will be great practice for me and because I want her to have sweet photos of her new baby. Do you actually use flash with infants? That's my question, because I anticipate him sleeping while I take the photos, and I'd like to know if the flash bothers their little eyes? If you don't use flash where do you get light from (when you're indoors) because her home is all fluorescent and not very bright as is.

-Thanks

Ambient light from through a large window is preferred although flash can be used. You will want to diffuse it so there's no harshness. Subtle is the key.

Most folks will have a better idea than I, but how about bouncing it off the ceiling too?

Okay thank you for all of the suggestions. I see the beautiful infant photos and I wish I could produce that for her, but when I can't even figure out something like this without help I fear I am doomed lol. Hopefully though I will get much more practice and learn more lighting techniques before he gets here. I just want her to have great photos, she does not have money to pay a professional and I think it's something that mom's really love to have.

Flash won't hurt a baby. I mean, I probably wouldn't be using direct flash but bouncing the flash is more than fine. I personally try to use natural light as much as possible but I have used flash on occasion if the ambient light does not allow for all natural.

I use laser beams.

Helpful post #724

And, by "it," I meant the light from the flash. Don't throw the baby at the ceiling.

Shadowbox, are you gonna get a baby doll to start practicing on?

I think it's weird how people come here to the BEGINNERS forum and have attitudes with the questions and help we need, but okay, whatever makes you feel big and superior at the end of the day. I'm just glad that I'm a happy person and that I don't allow negative or rude people to effect MY mood. Thanks to everyone else for the helpful and thoughtful suggestions which are much appreciated. :)

To start practicing with lighting a baby. What?

I say this most respectfully but have you photographed a newborn? :) I don't see how a doll will help at all (even with posing, newborn babies are squishy and foldy and henceforth why I call it baby origami when posing them, a doll is stiff as a board). Lighting a newborn is not going to be much different than lighting any other person/object. A general understanding of light (usually soft light for newborn photography but hey, i fyou want to mix it up and do harsh all the more respect to ya) will come in handy. I was just curious if you meant something more by that.

Nope, never touched a baby. I was just wondering. No more, no less. :D

I think it's weird how people come here to the BEGINNERS forum and have attitudes with the questions and help we need, but okay, whatever makes you feel big and superior at the end of the day. I'm just glad that I'm a happy person and that I don't allow negative or rude people to effect MY mood. Thanks to everyone else for the helpful and thoughtful suggestions which are much appreciated. :)

I hope you weren't talking about my little joke. I just re-read my original post and thought it sounded weird. So, I thought I'd point out how it could be interpreted with a bit of humor (albeit sick humor... who laughs at throwing babies??).

I have no reason to believe that you didn't fully understand what I meant originally.

I wish you all the best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back