Do you use raw or dng?

Do you use raw or dng?

• Total voters
Usayit, in the context of preserving intellectual property, it stands to reason that the raw file should be encrypted. It is common and to some extend necessary in every industry to protect your know how.
Doesn't mean it's in it just for the money.

Just to be clear... I did not say money was the only motivation. I also DID say that open standard is a double edge sword.... citing encryption as one of them. So we are in agreement.

Just like Sparky... many will poke at an imperfect solution (using what-if scenarios), then stand up pointing out how its a terrible idea and such. Let me be clear, no solution is 100% its all about risk assessment. It doesn't take a genius to come up with contrived what-if scenarios for the purpose of propping up a shaky debate stance. The fact is no 100% solution exists (EMP anyone?). It is still no reason to come to the conclusion that DNG is a less viable solution to non-documented format. That's an incorrect and illogical assessment.

This is not a photographic problem.. this is a generalized data archival problem.

And I agree.... DNG is RAW.

More trouble? sure....

Last edited:
9 years has passed since dng has started. Debates have going on for years. So far nothing has changes. All the speculations about the future, emp strikes, nuclear wars, meteors strike, apocalypse is coming! How can you secure your hard drive from disasters. If Stephen Hawking said these are true, should we listen to him? No one knows what the future is going to be, isn't that logical? I remember back in the old days, the y2k. There were bunches of software helped fixed your computer from haywire. During the new year day on 2001, nothing had happened. The software fixed you computer is a wasted of times and money. If raws discontinued from camera manufactures, there will be some ways to recover all the raw files and convert to dng. Only if raws discontinued. This is just plain speculation.

Guessing whether something will happen with X% probability versus Y% probability is useful.

You don't have to KNOW for sure what will happen to make guessing what might happen useful still.

That's why stock markets exist.
If nobody ever was able to guess about the future accurately, they wouldn't make any money and wouldn't exist.

Nor would there be any such thing as a fire department...

Nor would anybody ever attend college (it MIGHT not pay for itself!)

Most reactions

Back