Do you use the camera`s shadow/lighting optimizer?

Tinderbox (UK)

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sony call it, d-range optimizer, Canon auto lighting optimizer, Nikon adaptive d-lighting, Fuji auto dynamic range.

Does this only work with jpeg as i really only shoot in raw, can achieve in photoshop, does it cause more image noise, it seems to affect the iso setting.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

John.

It is jpeg only, however if you use it on canon (possibly same with others) and use their raw software it will be selected on in their raw module if it had been on when you took the shot. It can be turned off post capture. I may be getting mixed up but the only (kind of) down side I could see on canon was you were restricted to iso 200, possibly not a big deal.

In answer to question I never use it

I turn the lighting Optimizer off and from my understanding it can add image noise but I shoot jpeg.In raw lighting optimizer is not applied with Canon AFAIK.

Does it keep the image from being under or over exposed? , does affect a raw file?

John.

It's purely an after photo editing feature. The aperture, ISO and shutter speed are still the only things that contribute to the exposure.

It's a neat feature if you're working with JPEGs and want to get improved results straight out of the camera; but if you're working with RAW its simpler to just leave the feature off and make any adjustments in post yourself.

I turn off all the "helpers". Shooting in raw means that none of those do anything anyways. Plus those features tend to slow down the processing time and results in lower FPS.

They also affect the JPEG that you see on the LCD when reviewing - yet another reason to turn them off if you're working in RAW and viewing the histogram as you don't want it tweaked.

It is jpeg only, however if you use it on canon (possibly same with others) and use their raw software it will be selected on in their raw module if it had been on when you took the shot.
Yep, that is true for the camera maker Raw converter software included with the camera.

Does it keep the image from being under or over exposed? , does affect a raw file?

John.

Be careful!! It is implemented differently in different systems. You know the rule about sounds too good?

You just ordered a Fuji X-T1. Fuji's implementation most certainly does effect your raw files. It effects them very badly. The Fuji DR function has two settings; DR200% and DR400%. To use them you have to up the ISO one full stop for DR200% and two full stops for DR400%. The camera then underexposes the raw file by that much in each case. Normally with the ISO set up let's say to ISO 400 you are in effect underexposing the camera sensor. In a typical camera the analog sensor signal is then amplified to compensate before A/D conversion and before the raw file is saved. If you had DR200% active on your new X-T1 that analog amplification step get's skipped and the raw file is saved 1 stop underexposed -- you probably don't want that; if the raw file is what you're after then you really don't want that.

The irony is that Fuji is calling this an increased dynamic range function and using that forced underexposure to process out a JPEG with better highlight response but is in fact giving you a raw file with less overall DR than you could have had otherwise if you just got a good sensor exposure to begin with. In other words it's a fauxtog gimmick that takes advantage of the expansive recording range of modern sensors to create JPEGs with more apparent DR by slitting the raw file's throat.

Joe

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back