Does a 50mm lens see what I see?

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm wondering about 50mm. I'm new to photography and hear people say things like the "50 mm lens is like what your eyes see" and I understand that after trying a D5100 in BestB*y and setting the (18-55) lens to around 55mm. What I'm more or less wondering though is for landscape type shots. Does this mean that if I set the lens to around 50mm, I'll end up getting EVERYTHING I'm seeing with my eyes? So If I "see" a beautiful sunset or a mountain range and set it to around 50mm will I get what I see more or less?

To me I don't think I'll get everything that I'm seeing because are eyes also have periphreal vision which a 50 mm lens doesn't have. ??

Thank you.

Anything within the frame.. you will get. And if you get a wider lens.. you can even emulate that peripheral vision to a degree....

50mm on a crop sensor will actually see a little less, than what human eyes see.... a 35mm on a crop sensor would probably approximate it more closely.

What I'm more or less wondering though is for landscape type shots. Does this mean that if I set the lens to around 50mm, I'll end up getting EVERYTHING I'm seeing with my eyes?

How many times when looking at a landscape do you NOT move your head or look around with your eyes?

For landscapes you will most likely want to go wider then a 50mm.

This is quite the philisophical question...

For me, perspective compression or expansion is more of an issue than the angle (width) of view. On a crop frame camera, a 35mm lens will give you a normal perspective. Meaning that objects that are say 20 feet apart, one in front of the other, will be at their proper proportions in an un-cropped print. With a 50mm the perspective will be a little compressed and the objects will appear as though they are closer together (front to back) and with a 18mm or 24mm they will appear as though they are further apart.

Most reactions

Back