Does a Flash Wear Out

mfer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm thinking about buying a second flash for my Nikon. Looking at a used SB-600 and wondering do they wear out?

What is the harm in buying a used flash?

I don't know if there is. Thanks for your help.

I'm thinking about buying a second flash for my Nikon. Looking at a used SB-600 and wondering do they wear out?

What is the harm in buying a used flash?

I don't know if there is. Thanks for your help.

Can't say for sure. I'm guessing the bulb can wear out...it is a light and lightbulbs go out. That said, I have fired my SB-600 probably a good 10,000 times and it is still going strong without a hickup. Unfortunately there is no way to see how many times a flash has fired like you can with a shutter/camera body so you'll have no way of knowing if it's fired 2,000 times or 20,000 times (or 200k for that matter).

Thanks for the response Nate, but I guess I"m going to pass on this. I thought I was going to be smart and get two SB-600's to do a master/slave partnership. Well, I just read that SB-600 cannot be used to trigger another SB-600. Looks like I need a d90.

:cry::cry::cry:

Thanks for the response Nate, but I guess I"m going to pass on this. I thought I was going to be smart and get two SB-600's to do a master/slave partnership. Well, I just read that SB-600 cannot be used to trigger another SB-600. Looks like I need a d90.

:cry::cry::cry:

Or an SB-800....an SB-800 could be used to fire a slave SB-600.

Yeah, I hear you there. I'd rather get the money in a d90 to get the commander. $250 more dollars for a sb-900. I'm guessing I could sell my d40 for $300 locally and then spend $250 more plus a little and get a D90. I have commander then and HDR and 12 megapix and metal body. This habit is getting $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Everything wears out at some point. How long it lasts depends on how it is used and how well it was made. One you can control the other you can't.

Sorry, the D90 doesn't have 'HDR'.

I meant the ability for bracketing pics. I know HDR is post process.

Yes, flashes wear out. I tend to go through them like consumables.

skieur

I meant the ability for bracketing pics
You don't need the auto bracketing feature to bracket your shots, it's just as easy to adjust the exposure manually between shots.

By the way, the bulb in a flash is a replaceable part. So even if it does wear out, it can be replaced. The actual bulb is fairly cheap, I think, it's the labor to change it that will cost you. I have heard of people doing it themselves though.

Yeah, I hear you there. I'd rather get the money in a d90 to get the commander. $250 more dollars for a sb-900. I'm guessing I could sell my d40 for $300 locally and then spend $250 more plus a little and get a D90. I have commander then and HDR and 12 megapix and metal body. This habit is getting $$$$$$$$$$$$$
You won't get a metal chasis until you reach the D300 and up.

Yeah, I would do the upgrade too personally. However, as has been stated, the D90 doesn't have a metal body...but it does feel more sturdy than the lower end bodies in my opinion. Also bracketing, I find useful for HDR's as well, but it isn't a requirement to make HDR's. Personally, I"d upgrade to the D90 for commander mode if I was you....if you don't want to be out anymore money you could also upgrade to a D80.....or not upgrade and just buy a used D70s as a second body to use solely for off camera flash work. I used my D70s a lot and it is still a great body....actually wish I had kept it as a second body to my D90.

Yeah, I would do the upgrade too personally. However, as has been stated, the D90 doesn't have a metal body...but it does feel more sturdy than the lower end bodies in my opinion. Also bracketing, I find useful for HDR's as well, but it isn't a requirement to make HDR's. Personally, I"d upgrade to the D90 for commander mode if I was you....if you don't want to be out anymore money you could also upgrade to a D80.....or not upgrade and just buy a used D70s as a second body to use solely for off camera flash work. I used my D70s a lot and it is still a great body....actually wish I had kept it as a second body to my D90.

My bad on the body. The commander mode is worth the upgrade alone. Well, I'm going to keep shooting my d40 and working on my skills. I'll just do it with the one sb600 for now. I'm very happy with the shots of people I'm getting and the flash should handle most of what I need. I see Nikon is doing a $50 instant rebate. I guess that means the d90 will be discontinued in a few months. Oh well, I guess I'll have another decision to make at that time.
I can't believe this though. I thought I was going to get the cheapest DSLR out there and just be smart.
Well I just added everything up and I'm at $1,815.20 (including the kit lens I sold).
Oh well, it's fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back