Does a job like this exist?

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a job that exists where you work for the city/state and you walk/hike the local trails and parks to photograph them and create logs of what needs to be fixed or improved? Or something similar? My knowledge of the work force is extremely limited. I haven't had many jobs, just kept them for long periods of time. I recently changed jobs from an automotive technician (fancy name for fluid changes and tire rotations) to an accountant. Basically, I hate my current job, so I am in the market to move along to something else but would like to move more towards something photography related. I would love to assist for a studio or portrait photographer, but wanted to really learn what all is out there which brought up this question. I love the outdoors and don't mind any form of weather and being stuck at a computer for 9 hours a day is awful.

Yes there are. It's called being unemployed with no prospects and nothing else to do. As for a paying job like that, not that I am aware of.
If you work for an agency like that you are expected to fix the problem as well. Anybody can find problems, just look at congress:biglaugh:, it's the fixing them that becomes the issue and no one is going to pay someone to just find problems. Ok, no one except us tax payers, and as far as I know we are stuck with congress. :allteeth:

Is there a job that exists where you work for the city/state and you walk/hike the local trails and parks to photograph them and create logs of what needs to be fixed or improved? Or something similar?
As far as I know, not exactly. But, look up your state's department of environmental protection. It might be the TCEQ in Texas? Look up your state civil service for similar jobs. They may have environmental inspectors. I know in PA, we have inspectors that pretty much do what you're talking about, but for various things.

Also, you could be a park ranger.

Just be sure you understand what these jobs entail before switching. They may have long or odd hours, the work might be just as bad as now, and you likely won't get paid the same as an accountant. And, they're not exactly the safest jobs.

Actually I see this alot. But they are mostly volunteers.
And ppl that use the trails report down trees crossing the paths, etc.
The staff (park ranger, etc) that support the parks (and get paid) also drive around when possible, and chain saw the trees (with volunteers sometimes), etc.

I recall going MTB'ing after a big storm and gave reports of many trees down across the trails, and volunteers working, park people working, etc.

Interesting. Thank you all for the responses! I am entirely new to the accounting and tax field so my salary is minimal. basically 24k a year with no benefits. Long story short, my boss would retire in 15 years and hand the company over to my wife and I (my wife is an accountant too) so I thought I would give it a shot. I can honestly say that I do not enjoy it nor do I want it to become my life. Its just not for me so its time to move on to something else. Its been a great learning experience though.

Also, One of the cycling/hiking groups I'm in also does a lot of new trail design, and upkeep, etc.
As one trail gets heavily used they close it off and create a new trail to allow the one to "grow back"
Their are all volunteers as far as I know. They use the trails so they are aware of wear, etc.

I'm the trail coordinator for a smidge over 100 miles of the Florida Trail. While the USFS is the administrator of the trail it's usually on me to survey my own trail. Typically I do this during our maintenance hikes. On rare occasion the USFS will send people out. If it's something small it falls on us. If it's something like our 300-ft boardwalk we engage them.

Most reactions

Back