Does a telephoto lens widen the objects on periphery of exit window?

DavidOP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking at images of 8mm film frames, made in 1963 with a color 8mm camera and 9-27mm lens. The lens was set to 27mm (max, telephoto) which sets the maximum exit window. The images show the frames with intersprocket area, and not just the part corresponding the standard size. For example,

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/z218.jpg

I noticed that the area that corresponds to standard frame, which is about 3/4 of the frame width measured from the right side, shows consistent distances. However, the last 1/4 of the frame on the left side, corresponding to intersprocket area, shows distances widened. You can even notice by the faces wider than they should be. Is it expected for telephoto lens on the peripheries of exit window? After all, the lens should be designed only for the standard frame size and anything beyond could be distorted. What is the technical term to describe this?

The only thing I can think of is maybe the lens is capturing images on the center and one edge of the film (where the sprocket holes are) so perhaps the image is distorted on one side (because the image wasn't centered thru the lens). If that makes sense...

I don't know a lot about movie film but I think 8mm was actually two strips side by side; when it fed thru the camera I think one side was exposed then the film was turned to go the other way back thru the camera to expose the other side of the film.

Prior to 8mm I think 16mm was used for home movies so I'm guessing that might be how they came up with the idea of what was basically two 8mm images side by side on the same roll of film.

Most reactions

Back