Does anyone else here find instagram offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, there's not really a whole lot of difference between Instagram and Lightroom Plug-Ins.

On the list of things I find offensive, Instagram is way down. In fact, it doesn't warrant being on the list.

It is a fad, I wonder how long it will last.

No, not at all offensive.

This is what's offensive:
I almost lost it on her today.

Contextually, he almost lost it on her on facebook. Which would probably involve a lot of four letter words, some "U's" and "UR's", "KTHX" and "GFYS."

If it were physical violence, that would be different. ;)

I'm waiting for the Facebook app that allows you to lightly slap someone on the back of the head, like Gibbs on NCIS.

Weird that this is here today as I was having a little conversation about instagram with one of my friends just this morning. He's an iphone user, i'm an android user, so he suggested I get the app so he could follow me. I already have it, got it when it came out last week. I've only taken two photos with it. I guess it's ok, but 'retro camera' (android's version of hipstamatic) is much better for adding that 'old film' look, and actually lets you compose in a square "viewfinder".

My friend's argument was that instagram lets him look at my pics without searching through menus and stuff in facebook, etc. My reply was "Just look at my flickr". It goes on, with him complaining about flickr, but long story short, he's not a 'photographer'. He doesn't own an actual camera. He only uses his iphone for pics, so he just doesn't get it. To him, the phone pics are fine for him. To me, phone pics are not good enough. I want the control and quality of an actual camera and want the photos I upload to sharing sites to reflect that. Phone pics are pretty much modern day p&s cameras and this thread is basically like back in the film days when slr photographers would complain about p&s cameras..

But anyway.. do I find it offensive? Nah.. it's just not for everyone, that's all.

Why would you get that upset over someone playing w/ a photo program?
Why are people so insecure? lol :greenpbl:

I've never used instagram but I like a lot of the photos that I see from it on facebook.

What I find offensive are elitist camera snobs who think that because they own a DSLR and go on a photo forum that anybody who doesn't, and 'hasn't studied the field of photography', is a worthless hack. Kburrito, show me any photo that you've taken and I will show you you a better instagram.

Anyway, shouldn't you be busy getting offended by workmates who also take photos?

Not offended in the least. Instagram is a quick and easy way for folks with little/no camera knowledge to spice up their Facebook profile photos. I'd be offended if someone were trying to pass off/sell those photos, but the same goes for point and shoot. Both are perfectly acceptable so long as they aren't being used for something they aren't capable of.

Why would you get that upset over someone playing w/ a photo program?
Why are people so insecure? lol :greenpbl:
Some people wish they invented Instagram and made a Billion Dollars from it.

There i shot my drink with my iPad as i was sipping my latte as people from Vancouver are wont to do when it rains.

And i used Instagram

faa2a1bc841011e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

Last edited:
Lately on facebook I have been seeing lots of instagrammed photos. I understand people just have fun messing around with all the vintage looking filters. Today I almost lost it on a friend though. She put up a pic of her cat. It just looked like a quick snapshot by someone who has never studied the field of photography. But of course it had a vintage over saturated filter from instagram.
People started commenting on how awesome it looked and she actually had the nerve to say " Yeah I have a natural eye for photography". I almost lost it on her today.
The reason I hate instagram is it takes away from the art of photography. People stop looking at the message, the lighting, the mood, the composition, and the emotion that is put into a photo. Instead they start looking at the cool effects. Its like saying a movie is good just because it had lots of explosions. Now don't get me wrong there have been some awesome users of instagram. Those people realize that instagram is just a tool that has its place and not a crutch that can turn poorly composed photos into decent ones.
It takes the beautiful, artistic, classy and charismatic woman that is photography and turns it into a bar star that hides under 2lbs of makeup and makes out with other women.

A most excellent rant dude. And to think, Facebook just payed one billion dollars for Instagram. Huh.

They didnt pay that much because it sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back