Does anyone know any tips to B&W photography?

give me 30 mins I will write up a short tutorial.

Yes.

B&W photography starts long before you edit. You need to learn to see in B&W.

I agree with c.cloudwalker so much that I even gave him a formal Thanks on that post. I concur, totally; when shooting for B&W, I like to shoot with the camera in actual B&W mode, or in RAW+JPEG-Monochrome mode, using the filter effects like the Yellow Filter effect and usually, but not always, the Sepia toning pre-set on Canon cameras.

Some digital SLRs, like the Fuji S2 Pro and S3 Pro and S5 Pro have incredibly beautiful B&W in-camera capture mode, and for those with the courage of their convictions, seeing, lighting, and shooting in JPEG B&W capture mode really is the way to go when going FTW (ie all-out Black and White or nothing). With a Canon or Nikon or any other camera where you can shoot RAW+JPEG-Monochrome, you'll get a JPEG B&W image out of the camera, plus a RAW capture that has all the RGB color data, if you want to use it. In RAW+ Jpeg-Monochrome shooting mode, the in-field LCD review will be in monochrome, which is a huge benefit.

One of the different ways to convert an RGB image to monochrome is to apply what is called a Gradient Mask, and then select a black gradient, and then you have a very traditionally B&W panchromatic + yellow filter look reminiscent of Kodak Plus-X film at low ISO values, and sort-of like a higher-speed B&W film at elevated capture ISO levels like 1600 or 3200.

Canon and Nikon handle chroma and luminance noise a bit differently, and it also varies from camera to camera, so, if you really want an authentic B&W look that's like a specific film or film/developer/paper combo, you need to use your specific camera the best way possible. For example, a camera that has pretty even noise at higher ISO settings can be used at higher-than-normal ISO values to give the B&W images a bit more of the gritty, grainy-look of film, even though it's digital capture. Canon cameras, like the 5D, seem to have VERY smooth B&W rendering, and can be used at what would probably be considered too-high of an ISO setting for color, but still give good B&W results. If your camera has patterned banding, use a lower ISO so you avoid patterned banding, which screams "digital,not film".

But again, like c.cloudwalker said, if you want B&W, you need to begin before you even trip off a shot...having the camera set to B&W capture mode in the field or studio allows you to look at the images and review them AS BLACK AND WHITE images, and I think that is critical to do.

Was going to make it more in-depth but no need to say more than is needed...
tutq.jpg

also agree with C.cloudwalker.

however some of the best B&W shots are those that suck in colour, I think I chose a bad photo for the tutorial as it was pretty much perfect in colour.
there is 100 ways to make a photoblack and white using photoshop, this is one of the most effective and simplest.
if i was making this b&w myself, I would use contrast, brightness, black and white, sharpen and perhaps add some grain.

This is a method I've used before with nice results. I suppose if you're not taking the photos in B&W in the first place, this is a descent alternative.

B&W Tutorial

Most reactions

Back