does anyone know how to connect the 580 ex2 to the 6d?

terrilyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not sure why I cant do this but I can on my 60d easy just wondering if anyone can tell me exactly how to set it up thanks. ( connect wirelessly my 580ex2 to my 6d)

Read your manual.

6D or 60D? Title says one thing but the message says another. The 60D can trigger an external flash via the pop-up flash (the flash must be up and it must fire). You can also fire a 580EX II via IR commander but that's a separate module from Canon or you can buy a 3rd party radio trigger (be aware only a few models of radio triggers can also work with E-TTL.)

I can fire my 60D no prob... but I was asking about my 6D I cant get it to communicate thinking I have to get some triggers the 6D doesn't have the pop up :) and I cant find where to turn it on in side the camera like for off camera of course ...this is just something id deff love to get into more so I haven't been in any rush to find out :) and yes I will go grab my dam book I was kinda looking for a quick answer the day I asked the question :) should seriously have just gone to the book in the first place :) thanks guys :)

You need the ST-E2 wireless transmitter or another master flash.

A good option is the 90ex that Canon designed for the EOS-M is very small but works as a master and can fire external speedlights. Or simply buy another big unit 600ex is the newest model.

TCampbell solution is also good Pockert Wizards Mini TT1 or TT5 work with TTL but need to be upgraded to the latest firmware.

Last edited:
Your cheapest options are, in order:

1) Read the manual all the way through, and make sure it doesn't tell you how to do that. If it isn't possible without more equipment, then:
2) Something like a $25 radio cowboystudios trigger. Mine have never broken or failed, and if you're worried they might, then just buy 2 or 3 or 4, still for much cheaper than the next option. However, these do not do TTL flash. So if you want/need TTL,
3) A pocket wizard or similar company that says it can still control TTL, for usually about $200.

In a distant and confusing 4th place is buying into Canon's mindblowingly unnecessarily expensive master/slave system without using any third party equipment.

I can fire my 60D no prob... but I was asking about my 6D I cant get it to communicate thinking I have to get some triggers the 6D doesn't have the pop up :) and I cant find where to turn it on in side the camera like for off camera of course ...this is just something id deff love to get into more so I haven't been in any rush to find out :) and yes I will go grab my dam book I was kinda looking for a quick answer the day I asked the question :) should seriously have just gone to the book in the first place :) thanks guys :)

The 580EX II can only be fired

(a) it's foot (e.g. connected to the camera hot-shoe or an off-camera cord with a shoe)

(b) It also has a remote sync-cord socket (hidden under a flap)

(c) Using OPTICAL communication from another flash or speedlite commander. If using another flash, that flash MUST be capable of operating in "master" / "commander" mode. E.g. you would need Speedlite Commander ST-E2 or another 580EX II, or a 600EX-RT, or even a 90EX (a very basic flash that can be a master but cannot be a slave.)

The 6D cannot natively trigger an off-camera 580EX II. You must add something to the camera to let it do that such as the commander or another flash capable of working as a commander/master.

You can also use 3rd party triggers.

There are a LOT of 3rd party triggers that will let you trigger the flash if it is used in manual mode (not using E-TTL/E-TTL II). There are a _few_ companies that make radio systems that allow the 580EX II to be used even in E-TTL mode, but be warned... the 580EX II is known to put out a lot of RF noise when it fires and this causes reliability issues with radio triggers (there are mods/fixes for it. But a factory default 580EX II can be problematic. This is really only a problem in full E-TTL/E-TTL II modes with radio triggering.)

Most reactions

Back