Does anyone know how to get this effect?

sweetroxygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
Im new.. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get this effect?
Thanks!

Samantha

www-13.jpg

www-1.jpg

www-6-0.jpg

It seems you're looking for selective desaturation done digitally - so I'll be moving this thread to the graphics forum. You'll get some more replies and demonstrations there on how to accomplish this.

Now, if you're looking on how to traditionally hand color a silver gelatin B&W print, using the classic photo oils (selectively or otherwise), then come on back and ask again in the alternative forum. :) It's a beautiful thing.

sweetroxygirl said:
Hi,
Im new.. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get this effect?
Thanks!

I'm a bit ashamed to admit I know something about pshop :mrgreen: but my way of doing this would be as follows (I used Pshop elements 3 on Mac)
-Open the original file
http://www.imgfree.net

-Make a new layer by copy (Layers menu->new->layer via copy

-Select the new layer and in enhance image choose colour menu and reduce saturation to get a greyscale image. The colour image is the background layer.

-Use the eraser to CAREFULLY rub out the areas of the greyscale layer, as you do so the colour layer will show through, -Finally adjust the saturation in the original layer so that it really shows thriugh (don't overdo it) if you look carefully at the bottom of the rose you can see where I have rubbed out too much overlay and the green is very vivid.

http://www.imgfree.net

It's simple but takes some practice and patience, hope this helps

CJB

skylark said:
-Make a new layer by copy (Layers menu->new->layer via copy

-Select the new layer and in enhance image choose colour menu and reduce saturation to get a greyscale image. The colour image is the background layer.

CJB

Thanks for the tip. I used to select the item, create a mask and desurate the rest but your suggestion is much more accurate and earier to do.

thats a cool way of doing it .i did mine a little different since i didnt know how to do it any other way,

i opened 2 images , and converted one to BW. then on the pther i used the the magnet lasso thingy and once i was done with the shape i draged it over top of the B/W and lined them up .

it also gave me the oppertunity to brigthen up up the colour beofe dragging it over .

but like i said i had no other way that i knew .

Channel mixer adjustment layer - check monochrome, fiddle with the sliders to mix the R,G, and B till you get a pleasing black and white image. Then highlight the layer mask, and paint with black onto your image in any areas you want in color. If you want to make adjustments to the color parts of the image then, you have already created a mask which can be pasted into other adjustment layers, and inverted if need be.

At first I thought the 'effect' that was being asked about was "how to get hot girls to pose for you". But the poster was probably asking about selective colouring.

The tutorial that cbay linked to is pretty good, although it is basically the same thing that Digital Matt said. And as skylark pointed out, it is sometimes worth adjusting the saturation of the coloured parts to really emphasize the effect.

Now, if you want to know how to get hot girls to pose for you ... well that's a much harder question. (unless you have a lot of money)

If all you want is to colour parts of a Picture without bringing in any colour to the rest of the photo the easyiest way is to just desaturate(not using channels but the ajustment tool) the picture then use the history brush to paint in the area's that you want to be colour.--Lenny

Most reactions

Back