Does anyone know what kind of bird this is?

I miss the dots on the stomach that would be there in a starling, plus starlings have blue-black shimmering feathers.
It looks like a blackbird to me. They are QUITE the singers!!!

The length of bill suggests a starling.

Incidentally, starlings are not native to the US. Years ago, someone wanted to introduce all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare to the New World. Among the species that he imported and freed were starlings. I expect several to visit the suet cakes in my back yard this morning.

We have a long-standing contract with the birds here, spanning generations. In return for food during the winter, they sing for us in the spring.

'A song for a life. A life for a song. Lifelong life song.'

Hi all! Thanks so much for helping me out! What I gather is that it could be a blackbird, but is more likely a juvenile Starling? Is that correct? Are Starlings rare in the US?

Here's a larger version, hope it helps.

imgp0253io3.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Well I'm glad the photo was posted here. as it show a bird in its natural habitat and that's one thing I'm not that very good at.

Sorry but I can't help with the ID as i'm no expert, but is that a flash of red on its tail?

You might get an answer if a kind MOD could move this to the nature gallery

The "kind MOD" did move this to the Landscape and Nature Gallery just now :biggrin: and hope along with JohnW that there will be members coming to this forum who know their birds. For although my maiden name was "Vogel" (look it up if you don't know what it translates into ;)), I apparently do NOT know what this particular bird is...

My apologies. I'm new to the forum, and don't know my way around very well yet. I will spend more time finding a proper subject next time.

My apologies. I'm new to the forum, and don't know my way around very well yet. I will spend more time finding a proper subject next time.

no need to apologise, and there's nothing wrong with the subject.

Id'ing a bird isn't easy sometimes. There are a few things that would help; the location (narrows down the range), size and time of the year. All that said I think it is a Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis), not sure though. They do have chestnut coloring under the tail.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back