Does anyone know what this is

milviel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows what the items in this picture are.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6161/dscn0390.jpg

I was actually able to dig up more stuff in the darkroom. I was wondering if anyone(ann) knows what these items are.

There are two items in the pic
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7923/dscn0726t.jpg

One in this one
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3164/dscn0731m.jpg

I actually created a thread yesterday in the buy and sell section earlier. I'm not familiar with most of the stuff , and I think that was the wrong section to get help with it. I'll provide the link. I would be grateful if you guys could help me figure out what the stuff is and at the same time, if you are interested in the stuff I'd be willing to sell it to you also.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...pment-darkroom-equipment-vintage-cameras.html

Last edited:
And I thought people were just saying that film was dead. That's a photographic enlarger for making prints from negatives.

that not only is an enlarger, it is a beseler with a cold light head.

this enlarger will enable someone with a wide variety of negative sizes, 16mm up to 4x5 to make prints as the above mentions. whoever this belongs to is/was a very serious user of film as they are using a high end timer and have a dry mount press as well.

that not only is an enlarger, it is a beseler with a cold light head.

this enlarger will enable someone with a wide variety of negative sizes, 16mm up to 4x5 to make prints as the above mentions. whoever this belongs to is/was a very serious user of film as they are using a high end timer and have a dry mount press as well.

Thanks for the info guys. I would never have been able to figure out what any of that stuff was.

As a side note, I've been tasked to sell all of the photo equipment in this room and in a studio. So if anyone is interested in any of this stuff, please let me know.

don't know your location, but don't expect to get a lot of money for this stuff. it is very good equipment,but folks are putting these out on the curb.

you might do better selling off pieces, but that can be a long process.

for instance the drymount press might be snap up quickly, i can't tell the size but your looking at maybe 25-40 dollars. there is a nice grain magnifier that should bring at least 50-75 in the right circles.

the timer is an old version of a zone v *i think , hard to read " mabe 50 dollars.

it will depend on how many lenses are involved alaong with the negative carriers that will match the lenses.

cold light head maybe 50 dollars.

as a package deal maybe 300 dollars. sad but true.

hope this is helpful for you.

don't know your location, but don't expect to get a lot of money for this stuff. it is very good equipment,but folks are putting these out on the curb.

you might do better selling off pieces, but that can be a long process.

for instance the drymount press might be snap up quickly, i can't tell the size but your looking at maybe 25-40 dollars. there is a nice grain magnifier that should bring at least 50-75 in the right circles.

the timer is an old version of a zone v *i think , hard to read " mabe 50 dollars.

it will depend on how many lenses are involved alaong with the negative carriers that will match the lenses.

cold light head maybe 50 dollars.

as a package deal maybe 300 dollars. sad but true.

hope this is helpful for you.

Thanks Ann. There is a good number of old and vintage equipment at this place. It's unfortunate to hear that this stuff is no longer wanted. My offer still stands though, If anyone is interested in this stuff just pm me.

How about a Calumet 45NXII 4x5 camera?
Is that something that can sell?

Last edited:
Ah, the good ol' days. Never used any of it but I remember seeing that and similar equipment in the custom lab I used.

Anyone know what it went for new? Just curious...

yes, again, it will depend on the condition of the camera and the lens.
You might check KEH.com or even Calumet used section to get an idea of the value.

i am not trying to make life difficult for you, just passing on information.

the school where i teach has been on the receiving end of a lot of equipment, more than we need and can use and when we get something that we really don't need i try to sell it and put the money in a special fund for photography as we are a non-profit school and money is tight. It is a matter of finding the right person at the right time.

It is sad but there are people out there who are looking for inexpensive equipment and even perhaps some here as in the film area someone pops up almost weekly talking about getting back into /using film and want to think about making their own prints.

that enlarger with that head, aboaut 1500 , the magnifier about 200, don't remember exactly the timer but around 200. dry mount press 600 up depending on the size
negative carrier 150 dollars. lens hard to say, as to type and size.

just as an fyi, these enlargers are still sold new, about 1800 with condensor head, no lens no negative carrier.

i have two of these in my home darkroom :)

I would buy it, but - I have nowhere to set it up... :(

I don't have a spare room that I can convert to a darkroom, and there's no way my wife would let me set up an enlarger in the bathroom...

I could probably fit in in one of the closets, but then where do I put all of the clothes...? :lol:

It really is a shame that this stuff is still so expensive new, yet people throw it away every day... And as much as I'd like to, I just can't take it.

But... Roughly where are you located? If you're within a reasonable drive from Dallas, I might be able to talk my wife into letting me find a spot for it until we have a bigger place... (And maybe sneak it into the bathroom every now and then...lol.)

that enlarger with that head, aboaut 1500 , the magnifier about 200, don't remember exactly the timer but around 200. dry mount press 600 up depending on the size
negative carrier 150 dollars. lens hard to say, as to type and size.

just as an fyi, these enlargers are still sold new, about 1800 with condensor head, no lens no negative carrier.

i have two of these in my home darkroom :)

Thanks for all the info again Ann. 2600 to 300 today, thats pretty bad.

Last edited:
New, yes - that's probably close. Sadly though, there just aren't many people looking to buy stuff like this, so 'like new' prices will probably be a very tough sell.

If you look hard enough, you can find this sort of thing for next to nothing... Everyone is switching to digital and no longer need/want the darkroom equipment... It's the whole supply/demand thing - the demand just isn't there anymore...

I never seem to find those deals though, so whenever I do get a darkroom set up, I'll probably buy everything new... Right now, I just don't have anywhere to put it...

BUT - if you are within 1-200 miles of Dallas, I would seriously consider driving out there and paying you a reasonable price for it, lol.
(My wife won't be happy, but - what the hell. lol. She'll get over it.)

Last edited:
New, yes - that's probably close. Sadly though, there just aren't many people looking to buy stuff like this, so 'like new' prices will probably be a very tough sell.

If you look hard enough, you can find this sort of thing for next to nothing... Everyone is switching to digital and no longer need/want the darkroom equipment... It's the whole supply/demand thing - the demand just isn't there anymore...

I never seem to find those deals though, so whenever I do get a darkroom set up, I'll probably buy everything new... Right now, I just don't have anywhere to put it...

BUT - if you are within 1-200 miles of Dallas, I would seriously consider driving out there and paying you a reasonable price for it, lol.
(My wife won't be happy, but - what the hell. lol. She'll get over it.)

I'm in Northern CA. If you're willing to pay a reasonable amount I'm willing to try to figure out how to get it to you. I just pm'd you.

Got the PM. ;)

I'm interested, I just don't know what a 'reasonable price' is...

Obviously, it's used gear - but I don't really know how much that 'depreciates the value'...

Any insight from some of the more experienced members (...ann? lol) on what would be a fair price for the kit (everything pictured)?

i can only let you know what i would ask in this part of the world,*east coast, large city)

300-400 , depending on how many negative carriers and lens.

there is a round motor or something on the right side of the board that i am clueless about.

also, i have never seen safelights mounted as these seem to be on the top of the strut (and i have been in the darkroom for almost 63 years) however, who knows.
they are helpful, the safelights, but not worth much.

shipping is very costly, and it would be best to break it down in several boxes, but with that being said, one really needs to know more about the enlager to break it down and then at the other end to put it back together. Of course the timer, filters, etc can be boxed up on their own. the dry mount press is very heavy and probably not worth the shipping cost, *(at least by today's selling price)

the good thing about the enlarger, it will last more than one life time if taken care of properly and not abused. the problem arear would be the motor that lifts the head, but those can be found on ebay from time to time.

this enlarger was made sometime ago and was an anniversity issue for beseler that is why the blue color.

we have several of these enlargers in our lab and they are older , maybe 60 years old and are still going strong.

hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back