Does anyone shoot an "origional" senior portrait anymore?

dpolston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm pretty new to "senior" portraits and I am being asked more and more to shoot them. I have always thought myself to be pretty good at taking a portrait but every now and then, I look to see what's out there.

I just waisted an hour of my life that I'll never get back looking at cookie cutter, overprices cheesy senior shots on the web. Who out there takes interesting photos for these kids and their families?

I just want to give up the whole profession if this is the standard that we call acceptable!

There is a glimmer of light here, but this is the only one I saw.

http://www.quicksilverseniors.com/Default.aspx

I think alot of what you see on the forum is a great break form the standard that I was used to (hint I graduated in 1989). Try looking at some of the senior galleries tha thave been shown here I think you should like them.

Hey THAT site was AWESOME! Thanks for the link. Anyhow - i like the ones I see here. I graduated in 97' and let me tell you my senior pics were the cheesiest things you have ever seen and the guy that did them has a contract with the high schools in the area. The school actually tells you to go to him! And he sucks! LOL

I'm pretty sure i'm going to be doing some seniors next week, and when I know i have the clients hooked, i'm going to ask them what they do (for props). For example, if one was a football player, they'd be in their pads for example. And everything would be on location. The studio is claustrophobic, or at least it was for me when I had my portraits done, and the weather has been nice lately.

This was some of the processing that I was thinking of doing for them as well as an option:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97184

Yes. There are tons of them.

My favorites:
Tim Schooler (my favorite poser of women and natural light user)
Tim Kelly (portraits like these will outlast fads and you can charge more for work like this)
David Junion (creative guy, love his lighting and his creativity with his collage work. I've watched him work before and he has great energy)
Jeff & Julia Woods (Slick, very modern style)
Vicky Taufer (Great lighting and well....everything)
Dan Brouillette (Very modern look to a lot of his photos. I love the locations he finds)
Colleen & Co (Seniors are there specialty by far)
Ron Kramer (http://www.houseofphotography.com/) <- Classical portraiture that looks fantastic. Do you consider these to be in your bad category?

People like that.

Ron Kramer (http://www.houseofphotography.com/) <- Classical portraiture that looks fantastic. Do you consider these to be in your bad category?

I think those are great... almost too great (if that makes sense). There very well lit, brightly colored, crisp, clean... they're great; the absolute ideal professional studio shot. But it kind of makes me think they need to have clothes prices at the bottom of the screen. It is very untraditional and please don't get me wrong, but it doesn't look like a kid being a kid (not that I'm looking for the photos of a teenager in dirty sweatpants sitting on the floor of hos messy room for a senior shot).

Okay... I have just spent an hour out of my life that I am glad there is an internet. Thanks Jubba! I love the web sites. great work. My hope is renewed!

There is very little that is "Original" in photography anymore. Most work that you see that looks like someone is being original is really just a better marketer or have better timing or already have a name that people pay attention to, than the people before them that did the same thing before them.

Even most of the bad photography has been done before. ;)

Mike

Great link, Jubba! :)

Heck, as long as none of you take photos like my senior picture, you'll do ok:
27xhu9z.jpg

Marian

There is very little that is "Original" in photography anymore. Most work that you see that looks like someone is being original is really just a better marketer or have better timing or already have a name that people pay attention to, than the people before them that did the same thing before them.

Even most of the bad photography has been done before. ;)

Mike

Agreed. Well said.

And, one more thought.... Remember to be good before you remember to be different.

-Pete

I graduated just a while back ('06), and I too even recieved the cheezy grad photos. my grandparents loved them. but if i could go back and had actually alloted more money and time towards photos I would have done a heck of a lot more research.. oh well, at that point i wasn't thinking in respect of having my own photos, but just to get done school! regrets!

David,
I think what you are loving about the site you mentioned, is that they are EXPOUNDING on the classic ways of doing it, using green screens, textures, and very savvy photoshop.
The posing, is not too crazy different. It's what they are doing with the photo.
Killer site by the way. I plan on stealing some of the great ideas found there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back