Does Anyone Use The Nikon Professional Cameras?

For what I like to do, the D6 doesn't make a lot of sense. My D850 does more than I will ever need. I do understand needing a D6 for sports photography under stadium lighting. I have a few friends that own them and love them.

I don't have a D6.

I have the D2h, D3, D3s, D4s and D5 cameras.

I haven't read about the D6 yet. I planned to but got the D5 last year and am still having fun with it.

My next camera might be a mirrorless.

I've done sports but it isn't my specialty.

In the case of my F5 it's something I always wanted and became affordable. I found one that was essentially unused for a great price and snatched it up. Once I had it I found how good it is the durability is a big bonus. Learning to use it was a challenge and sometimes still is. It's stout durable and gets the shot quickly when needed. I am a motorsports fan so the speed benefits my use. I shoot because I enjoy it not for income for I would have difficulty eating if I tried.

I do want a professional digital but cost is prohibitive for me now. I will eventually have one once I decide which one suits me. I don't really care about the money anymore but that doesn't mean I have it to spare.

And the sound of it when you push the button...........
View attachment 198680

I wanted to get a F5 but my ex talked me out of it and into my first digital which was a D2h. His reason was I already had a bunch of film cameras. So I bought the D2h. Great camera in it's day.

A good way to get a camera at a good price is to buy it when the next newer model has come out. The retailers are trying to sell the old inventory for the new so they discount it a lot.

That's how I bought my D2h and some other equipment.

Or there's photography a store in Seattle. They sell everything in regard to photography. They also rent. The name of the store is Glaziers.

Every year at the end of the year they sell their used rental equipment to make room for the new year's models. They do all repairs so it's like a new camera. You can get equipment for a very good price that way.

I have a D5 but almost never use it, as I rarely shoot the subject matter that it excels at. Great camera though, both the speed and low light performance are stellar...

I have a D5 but almost never use it, as I rarely shoot the subject matter that it excels at. Great camera though, both the speed and low light performance are stellar...

It's a good camera. Whether you're using it for low light and movement or not.

I use mine all the time.

It's a great camera for just about anything.

Not a pro, just an avid amateur.

I have an old, battered D3. A very nice, barely used D3 that I scored from eBay not too long ago. And a D4, also scored from eBay.

I also have a D700 that I bought new.

For what I do, I like the D3 and D4 the best. I like a fast frame rate for motorsports, I recently posted shots from the local drag strip taken with my D4.

Last year, I went to visit friends and photograph the hummingbirds that visit their feeders. I also brought the D7000 for the "free" reach boost you get from the crop-sensor to shoot their bluebird-dedicated birdhouses. I hadn't used the D7000 in a while and, at first, I thought there was a problem because the frame rate was sooo slow compared to the D3 and especially the D4.

I have 3 Nikon bodies (D600, D800, D4) and I use them all (the D600 gets used only when I want a small lightweight camera for a trip with minimal baggage and no plans to shoot but I bring a camera long "just in case").

[/QUOTE]
I'm sure you're correct when it comes to people who are amateurs or very serious amateurs.
That isn't me.
I'm a professional photographer. I specialize in low light with movement. So the Nikon professional line is perfect for what I do. Those who also do what I do also use the professional line of cameras whether it's Nikon or Canon.
The main reason why I put this thread up is to find out if there were people on this board who had experience or was serious about the same type of photography I do and specialized in for over 35 years.
I do have friends who don't use the professional line. I see them struggle with their camera in frustration because their camera won't do what's necessary to get the shot. They see me take seconds to just get the shot and move on.
I believe the important thing is that the camera and equipment work well for the person using it. What one person may use well just might not work at all for someone else.[/QUOTE]

While not a full-blown pro, I make some cash selling art and photographing pageantry. The latter is why, since I started in '06, I've upgraded my gear consistently trying to acquire the best tool for the job (I'm also a carpenter/cabinetmaker/contractor so tools are a HUGE part of my life).
I bought a D5 when it came out, mostly for the sensor size, not necessarily the tiny gains in performance (I loved my D4...but it's gone, sniff). I can't begin to explain to the uninitiated how cool it is to "get the shot" in an instant...literally, I was at the local wetlands yesterday trying my hand at birds, talking with another photog, and suddenly a big egret took off; I was using a monopod for the D5 and a 200-500 f5.6 and the lens was over my shoulder at the time. I quickly brought it up, pretty much hand held at the time, and shot a quick burst. Later, at the 'puter, I wasn't very surprised that I'd gotten the entire takeoff. You *need* great gear to do that. So, I'm off on the mirrorless quest, too, and have had a Z6 since inception...it's my go to camera for just about anything else (well, now I have a Z7 too and *it* has its place, neh?) and I'm totally sold on the new Z lenses, I'm hoping to one day be able to do what the D5 will do, at least somewhat, but won't waste my time wishing. That D5 is the best camera I own, but it stays in its corral until needed for fast movers. So, the upshot is that every body I own has a purpose and I'm lucky to have a few great tools to do different jobs.

I'm sure you're correct when it comes to people who are amateurs or very serious amateurs.
That isn't me.
I'm a professional photographer. I specialize in low light with movement. So the Nikon professional line is perfect for what I do. Those who also do what I do also use the professional line of cameras whether it's Nikon or Canon.
The main reason why I put this thread up is to find out if there were people on this board who had experience or was serious about the same type of photography I do and specialized in for over 35 years.
I do have friends who don't use the professional line. I see them struggle with their camera in frustration because their camera won't do what's necessary to get the shot. They see me take seconds to just get the shot and move on.
I believe the important thing is that the camera and equipment work well for the person using it. What one person may use well just might not work at all for someone else.[/QUOTE]

While not a full-blown pro, I make some cash selling art and photographing pageantry. The latter is why, since I started in '06, I've upgraded my gear consistently trying to acquire the best tool for the job (I'm also a carpenter/cabinetmaker/contractor so tools are a HUGE part of my life).
I bought a D5 when it came out, mostly for the sensor size, not necessarily the tiny gains in performance (I loved my D4...but it's gone, sniff). I can't begin to explain to the uninitiated how cool it is to "get the shot" in an instant...literally, I was at the local wetlands yesterday trying my hand at birds, talking with another photog, and suddenly a big egret took off; I was using a monopod for the D5 and a 200-500 f5.6 and the lens was over my shoulder at the time. I quickly brought it up, pretty much hand held at the time, and shot a quick burst. Later, at the 'puter, I wasn't very surprised that I'd gotten the entire takeoff. You *need* great gear to do that. So, I'm off on the mirrorless quest, too, and have had a Z6 since inception...it's my go to camera for just about anything else (well, now I have a Z7 too and *it* has its place, neh?) and I'm totally sold on the new Z lenses, I'm hoping to one day be able to do what the D5 will do, at least somewhat, but won't waste my time wishing. That D5 is the best camera I own, but it stays in its corral until needed for fast movers. So, the upshot is that every body I own has a purpose and I'm lucky to have a few great tools to do different jobs.[/QUOTE]

I love my D5 too. I love all my cameras. Like you each one of them is for something different.

The D3 has my macro lens on it but I don't use it much.
The D3s has what I call "Big Betty" which is a curved 14 -24 on it.
The D4s has my 75 to 300 lens.
The D5 has my 18-200 lens.

I love to photograph birds in flight. It's fun to follow them in the sky or catch them landing. They look funny landing. LOL.

I get hummingbirds at my place in January. There's a bush on the property that have pods that the birds love. At times there's a good size group of us standing out there taking photos. I love photographing them.

I have tried using the D750 and another one. Just couldn't get the hang of them. Nor could the cameras do what I can do with the professional line. I found them frustrating.

I have 2 friends who have a D750. I see them fight with those cameras all the time. They get frustrated because they can't do what I can do with my cameras. From what I've seen and experienced, those cameras aren't good for the type of photography I do.
This seems strange. What exactly do you mean? MSAP is the same in all cameras. Yes the D750 doesn’t have the same AF module as the pro bodies or the speed, but it’s not a horrible AF system. Not sure why they would be fighting with the cameras. What was frustrating? I’ve used many cameras and besides AF and FPS was never frustrated using them.

I’ve bought and sold a D4 twice because even though it’s a great camera the AF was not as good as the D500 or the D850 for that matter and the resolution isn’t there for what I shoot.

From the F5. Fuji Superia 800,28-85 f3.5-4.5 AF. Exposure lost to time.

Tomac:HighPointXXX3374-003.JPG

I have tried using the D750 and another one. Just couldn't get the hang of them. Nor could the cameras do what I can do with the professional line. I found them frustrating.

I have 2 friends who have a D750. I see them fight with those cameras all the time. They get frustrated because they can't do what I can do with my cameras. From what I've seen and experienced, those cameras aren't good for the type of photography I do.
This seems strange. What exactly do you mean? MSAP is the same in all cameras. Yes the D750 doesn’t have the same AF module as the pro bodies or the speed, but it’s not a horrible AF system. Not sure why they would be fighting with the cameras. What was frustrating? I’ve used many cameras and besides AF and FPS was never frustrated using them.

I’ve bought and sold a D4 twice because even though it’s a great camera the AF was not as good as the D500 or the D850 for that matter and the resolution isn’t there for what I shoot.

My friends have a hard time with lower light shots and movement shots. We shoot all over the west. There are places that their cameras can't get the shots.

In fact, in September the Northern Lights were visible in my area. One of my friends who has that D750 just left her camera home and used my D3s. Her camera never would have gotten the shots. Even using a tripod or monopod. My friends with that camera have tried the tripods and monopods and they just can't get the shots I can get because of their cameras.

Same with shooting fireworks or holiday lights or a dark sky with clouds or shots inside a forest, or moving objects like birds and planes etc.

One of them shoots in full manual so AF isn't a consideration for her.

I have an F and an F2- do they count?

Same with shooting fireworks or holiday lights or a dark sky with clouds or shots inside a forest, or moving objects like birds and planes etc.

One of them shoots in full manual so AF isn't a consideration for her.

A dark sky with clouds or shots inside a forest -- what? You're not trying to claim you need a D4 or D5 for shots inside a forest or dark skies with clouds?

In fact, in September the Northern Lights were visible in my area. One of my friends who has that D750 just left her camera home and used my D3s. Her camera never would have gotten the shots.

You and your friends need to learn how to shoot and stop buying $5k cameras since I can shoot these with a 15yr old Canon xs. This is a photographer issue NOT a camera issue.

Most reactions

Back