Does Anyone Use The Nikon Professional Cameras?

I still have a FM2n...National G photographers favored this camera in the '90s
I use a D750 which is popular w/ wedding and event photogs.
Any camera can be a pro camera in the right hands.

Same with shooting fireworks or holiday lights or a dark sky with clouds or shots inside a forest, or moving objects like birds and planes etc.

One of them shoots in full manual so AF isn't a consideration for her.

A dark sky with clouds or shots inside a forest -- what? You're not trying to claim you need a D4 or D5 for shots inside a forest or dark skies with clouds?

I have no problem with it with my cameras.

My friends do have a problem with it with their cameras.

If you don't, great. More power to you.

In fact, in September the Northern Lights were visible in my area. One of my friends who has that D750 just left her camera home and used my D3s. Her camera never would have gotten the shots.

Same with shooting fireworks or holiday lights or a dark sky with clouds or shots inside a forest, or moving objects like birds and planes etc.
nh't

You and your friends need to learn how to shoot and stop buying $5k cameras since I can shoot these with a 15yr old Canon xs. This is a photographer issue NOT a camera issue.

I can't speak for my friends and their experience.

I can for me.

I have had a camera in my hands since the 70s. I basically grew up with one in my hands.

When I was 19 I started taking my camera with me to concerts. I taught myself how to shoot musicians on and off stage.

The result, while I am retired now, I'm a former photographer for the Champs De Brionne Winery, MCA Universal Concerts, The House of Blues Concerts, Rolling Stone Magazine, MTV/VH1 and Getty Images. I was also the photographer for one of the largest film festivals in America for nearly a decade.

I'm still technically a photographer for Getty Images. I haven't done a job in a while. They sell my work. I get royalties every month.

I have won awards for my work.

My work is in DVDs, CDs, TV, Movies, Showtime, HBO, MTV/VH1 and every major and minor publication on the planet including the New York Times.

If I were you, I would learn about people before you try to insult them.

I still have a FM2n...National G photographers favored this camera in the '90s
I use a D750 which is popular w/ wedding and event photogs.
Any camera can be a pro camera in the right hands.

I have an FM 2. It's a fantastic camera. It's packed away now. I shoot digital now.

In fact, in September the Northern Lights were visible in my area. One of my friends who has that D750 just left her camera home and used my D3s. Her camera never would have gotten the shots. Even using a tripod or monopod. My friends with that camera have tried the tripods and monopods and they just can't get the shots I can get because of their cameras.

Why? What specific capability does the D3s have, or what feature does the D750 lack that only would allow the D3s to capture the Northern Lights?

In fact, in September the Northern Lights were visible in my area. One of my friends who has that D750 just left her camera home and used my D3s. Her camera never would have gotten the shots. Even using a tripod or monopod. My friends with that camera have tried the tripods and monopods and they just can't get the shots I can get because of their cameras.

Why? What specific capability does the D3s have, or what feature does the D750 lack that only would allow the D3s to capture the Northern Lights?

I have no idea what why they have problems with their cameras and I don't.

You would have to ask them.

I do know that my friend didn't even bother with her camera that night. She said it would have been a waste of her time to try it with her camera.

I do know that it won't take clear photos at low aperture speeds and f stops like mine will. I can shoot hand held in low speeds and the photos come out just fine. Their photos end up with a lot of noise in those situations and others. Their ISO doesn't go as high or low as mine.

Here are some shots of holiday lights. The shots were taken in 2018. They were taken on a D3s camera with a 75 to 300 lens. My friends with their 750 cameras were with me. They had tripods. I shot hand held. Even with the tripods they had a hard time with their cameras while I took seconds to take the shot and move on.

I shot this with a star filter on the lens. It was at Iso 12800. The aperture was at 1/30 and the f stop was at 4.5.

Lights#395.jpg

Lights#291.jpg

I shot this one at ISO 10000. The aperture was at 1/50. The F stop was 5.3.

Most of the photos my friends took that night came out with a lot of noise and not clear.

The next time I shoot with one of them I will ask them more about their cameras.

I don't know much about the non professional cameras. I haven't used one in decades.

I do know that my friend didn't even bother with her camera that night. She said it would have been a waste of her time to try it with her camera.

I do know that it won't take clear photos at low aperture speeds and f stops like mine will. I can shoot hand held in low speeds and the photos come out just fine. Their photos end up with a lot of noise in those situations and others. Their ISO doesn't go as high or low as mine.

Here are some shots of holiday lights. The shots were taken in 2018. They were taken on a D3s camera with a 75 to 300 lens. My friends with their 750 cameras were with me. They had tripods. I shot hand held. Even with the tripods they had a hard time with their cameras while I took seconds to take the shot and move on.

I shot this with a star filter on the lens. It was at Iso 12800. The aperture was at 1/30 and the f stop was at 4.5.

View attachment 199601

View attachment 199602

Most of the photos my friends took that night came out with a lot of noise and not clear.

The next time I shoot with one of them I will ask them more about their cameras.

I don't know much about the non professional cameras. I haven't used one in decades.

To me it sounds more like a lens issue. If you are shooting with a 75-300 at low shutter speeds without VR what are they shooting with and what shutter speeds? The D750 has 50% more linear pixels than the D3S and would be subject to more motion blur. The D750 is fine for moving subjects, like I said AF is certainly not horrible.
upload_2020-10-31_13-2-11.jpeg

That is with the D750. 1/2500th ISO 720.
Again I’m not defending the D750, I didn’t really like it for my needs, but it is still a great general purpose camera and has great image quality.

They aren't professional photographers who have had a camera in their hands since they were a young teenager nor did they have a dad who's best friend was a National Geographic Photographer to learn from.

Their cameras aren't made for the situations my cameras are made for.

Some cameras are made for different things.

I can shoot hand held at even slower speeds. I don't like using a tripod. It usually just gets in my way.

I shot this with my aperture at 1/13th, f-stop was 18 using an ISO of LO 1.0. I used my D5 camera with the 18-200 lens.

Falls#306.jpg

I shot this one hand held with my aperture at 1/13th, f-stop at 4.5 with my ISO at 160 using my D5 camera.

MR#172.jpg

You're the person that stated you couldn't shoot what you do without a D# series camera not me. I just pointed out that if that's true, you still have some learning to do. It's a fact not an insult.

View attachment 199601

View attachment 199602

To me it sounds more like a lens issue. If you are shooting with a 75-300 at low shutter speeds without VR what are they shooting with and what shutter speeds? The D750 has 50% more linear pixels than the D3S and would be subject to more motion blur. The D750 is fine for moving subjects, like I said AF is certainly not horrible.
View attachment 199603
Again I’m not defending the D750, I didn’t really like it for my needs, but it is still a great general purpose camera and has great image quality.

Yes I agree, it's a good camera. My friends get wonderful shots with theirs. They just can't get the shots I can get.

Yes that D3s doesn't have near as many megapixels but it takes a much better shot with low light and movement with far less noise. That's what the camera is made for.

The D750 is a good camera but it's not made to do then same things that the professional line of cameras are made for.

View attachment 199601

View attachment 199602

View attachment 199603

Yes I agree, it's a good camera. My friends get wonderful shots with theirs. They just can't get the shots I can get.

Yes that D3s doesn't have near as many megapixels but it takes a much better shot with low light and movement with far less noise. That's what the camera is made for.

The D750 is a good camera but it's not made to do then same things that the professional line of cameras are made for.
I’m sorry but I don’t understand. You posted pictures that I could get with any camera. Your lens selection seems to be on the consumer side though. I just really don’t understand why you are saying that a sports and action camera can get shots of a waterfall but a prosumer model can not?

You're the person that stated you couldn't shoot what you do without a D# series camera not me. I just pointed out that if that's true, you still have some learning to do. It's a fact not an insult.

I never said I couldn't shoot what I shoot without the professional series of cameras.

I started shooting musicians on stage when I was 19 years old in 1979. I used my Nikon EM. I used it to photograph musicians on stage until 1989 when I got my FM2.

I didn't move to the professional line of cameras until 1997 when I got my N90s.

Of course I can shoot what I do with other cameras. When I do what I did for for that long, doing it becomes like breathing. Without thought. It's easy for me because I have been doing it since I was 19 years old.

I said my friends can't do what I can using their cameras.

Please get my statement correct.

View attachment 199601

View attachment 199602

View attachment 199603

I’m sorry but I don’t understand. You posted pictures that I could get with any camera. Your lens selection seems to be on the consumer side though. I just really don’t understand why you are saying that a sports and action camera can get shots of a waterfall but a prosumer model can not?

I don't understand why you are misquoting me. I never said that a D750 can't get shots of a waterfall.

My friends try to take the same shots. Theirs ends up with a lot of noise and not clear.

They aren't professionals. They are very serious amateurs that I've been teaching for about 6 years now. They haven't been taking photos since they were a young teenager like me. They started maybe a decade or so ago.

I'm not saying that the D750 is a bad camera. It's a nice camera.

I'm saying that my friends have a hard time with their D750 cameras in some situations.

Why are you so defensive? And why are you misquoting me?

I believe that photography isn't as complicated and difficult as some people make it to be. I bought the lenses that work best for the type of photography I do.

When you're at a concert in the pit or back stage you can't bring a lot of heavy equipment or a lot of equipment with you. It just gets in your way. Two cameras with those lenses are perfect for the type of work I do. The 18-200 is cropped. I bought that one so that I could stop getting the end of guitars or instruments of the person next to whoever I was shooting in the side of the shot. The end of a guitar on the side of shot is bad in my work so a cropped lens is perfect. The 75-300 isn't cropped but allows me to get tight shots.

It may not be the same type of photography you do and that's fine.

The equipment should work for the person who is using it. That's what is important.

I never said I couldn't shoot what I shoot without the professional series of cameras.

Sure seems like that's exactly what you said.

I have tried using the D750 and another one. Just couldn't get the hang of them. Nor could the cameras do what I can do with the professional line. I found them frustrating.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back