Does anyone want to edit my picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the "good christian" comments are rather backhanded remarks that do not belong here. Rather high and mighty.

GiGi, you have a long way to go. Bringing up again, how many clients you have, means nothing.

Last edited:
To me, charging people fairly significant sums of money for beginner work is a question of ethics. Working with the knowledge that the work is significantly sub-par, even if the client doesn't know it, is flat out unethical.

Which to me makes the whole push to identify religiously a bit ironic.

I find the "good christian" comments rather backhanded remarks that do not belong here.

GiGi, you have a long way to go. Bringing up again, how many clients you have, means nothing.

I understand where you are coming from although I don't think she meant it that way. I certainly did not.

How do you know how much I charge! Let me just tell you! I charge a $25 sitting fee and $25 for an edited disc that they can go and copy as many times as they want to. Now I don't think that is charging too much. If you don't like the few pics I've posted on here so be it but that doesn't mean you have seen everyone of my pictures. Even if you have been to my blog you haven't seen them all. So you are way out of line with your comment. This post will be closed shortly! Way over do!

There are all kind of back handed remarks that don't belong here!!!

1) You put your prices on your blog.
2) Put your best work out front, because you WILL have your whole body of work judged by what you chose to display.

And lying is a sin.

To me, charging people fairly significant sums of money for beginner work is a question of ethics. Working with the knowledge that the work is significantly sub-par, even if the client doesn't know it, is flat out unethical.

Which to me makes the whole push to identify religiously a bit ironic.

you know, there is nothing wrong with setting a standard for yourself. there is certainly merit to that....
but, she is at least on here trying to improve

Except she's not, really. Every piece of advice is met with combative remarks and boasting about her client base. This thread, for example, expresses no desire to improve at all.

and I just changed my rates. All my customers go to a different website so I changed my rates there last night. Oh and if you don't know how to work a blog you click on the different titles and it will show you all my photo shoots not just the ones on display. That's how a blog works.

No it's not! I have thanked many people for giving me nice feedback. I do want to learn but choose not to learn from people who are going to be rude! That's how I roll! NOW LEAVE ME ALONE! I'M AS GOOD AS GONE! Continue to talk but you will be talking just to hear yourself.

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. She is in a pageant and I don't have time or does she have the patience for a reshoot. Sometimes you have to do the best you can with what you have. Especially with a child.
Ah, I see.
You weren't looking for help learning how to do something.
You were looking for free labor.
Well played.
The thread shoudl've ended here on page 2, since then its all about who gets "The Last Word in". Nothing truly constructive.

No it's not! I have thanked many people for giving me nice feedback. I do want to learn but choose not to learn from people who are going to be rude! That's how I roll! NOW LEAVE ME ALONE! I'M AS GOOD AS GONE! Continue to talk but you will be talking just to hear yourself.

Gigi, can I ask a question without you getting all defensive. What happens if some of these people who are rude are RIGHT? Their delivery might be careless but generally the advice is correct. Can you not seperate the tone from the message? That seems to be the issue.

This is unbelievable. Been following this, but have refrained from posting because well.. w/e I had this other really long book written out for this, but deleted it. I just lost track of what I was talking about.

Bottom line, this is an amateur forum, and should be considered as such. There's alot of people who have seen the same stuff over and over again on here (and other forums), and after a while it just grinds the wrong way and people snap.

I think that's what happened here.

There's a few people on here, who like Derrel said in his (great) post, we learned when Photoshop didn't exist yet, so you had to get it right the first time. Photography used to be part engineering. We have single 8x10 transparencies at the studio which were shot on 5 different cameras on 5 different sets, and are jaw-dropping to think that this is straight out of camera and shot in 1985. Digital looks cheap in comparison.

It's the difference between "shooting for the edit" and "shooting for the print".

there's alot of coulda-shoulda-woulda in this thread, and i admit, when i said "try to get it right the first time", it was probably of little or no help. If i was in those shoes with that experience, it would have gotten me nowhere because i wouldn't know what to look for. Just look at my first posts 4 years ago, they're laughable, and even the new ones are.

the thing is when you start posting images up anywhere on or offline, there are going to be people who disagree with them, and that's part of sharing your pictures, enjoying the praise and eating the crits.

There has been some good advice on here, it may come off as cynical, but there really has. The more you work on your technique and the more you look at pictures (not just your own), the more you'll be able to see what's good, what's bad, and what's ugly.

And when you start charging for what you're doing, yeah different strokes-different folks, but $25 clients give $25 results.

Ask yourself some questions, if you hired a photographer to take pictures of your kid and they charged $25, what would you expect? If they charged $400 what would you expect? $850?

what sort of bracket do you want your images to reflect?

If commercial photography was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Look at the pictures you like, analyze them. Copy them. try to do the same thing. You'll learn alot.

Learning photography is like learning to drive. When you first start out, you'll stall the engine, your parents will be yelling at you to shift, and it's overwhelming at first. But after a while you stop even thinking about shifting and you just do it. it comes naturally. And the only way to getting around to that is experience.

With forums, It's one thing to talk about driving a car and talking about shifting the gears, but it's completely different to actually doing it.

No matter where you go, you'll always find assholes that give tough criticism, but it says alot about your character with how you take it, do you get discouraged and quit? or do you eat it and digest what they mean and move on?

Except she's not, really. Every piece of advice is met with combative remarks and boasting about her client base. This thread, for example, expresses no desire to improve at all.

Alex, we need to talk. It's about your posting.

Wow i go away for 4 days and the kids come out to play... this thread is all types of wrong.

Derrel and Switch seem the only ones to bring some normality to it... we do not allow witch hunting or insulting other members needlessly on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back