Does film quality and type affect the image quality?

NedM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot using Ultrafine Extreme ASA 400.

Today, I developed my negatives in the darkroom, and when the negatives were done drying I noticed they were kind of purple-ish.

I showed my professor and he had told me that the lab technician had screwed up the chemicals for developing.

I was really concerned because I bought my film from : UltraFineOnLine Photo Warehouse as recommended by the community here.

What could I do to ensure better development in the darkroom?

The best thing you can do is develop it yourself. A purple cast is often a result of film that's been allowed to get too warm prior to development (leaving your camera in direct sun on a summer day, storing unused/undeveloped film in a hot location).

The best thing you can do is develop it yourself. A purple cast is often a result of film that's been allowed to get too warm prior to development (leaving your camera in direct sun on a summer day, storing unused/undeveloped film in a hot location).

I forgot to mention I did develop the film myself, but not the chemicals. The lab technician of the day somehow mixed the chemicals incorrectly, which is why some of my other classmate's negatives were turning out very purple or light.

So, does it matter what kind of film I use?

Ahhh, gotcha! There's not much you can do if the chemicals are mixed incorrectly other than swear at the lab tech.

Was this the first time you've ever used this film? If so, have another roll developed somewhere else or by someone else or using a different batch of chemicals. Maybe that's just how it "looks"?

Does other film developed in that batch of chemicals look the same?

You need to figure out if you did something wrong, the chemicals are bad, or that's just how that film looks after developing... Nevermind - sounds like you already have it figured out.

Yes - it matters which film you use. They're all a little different - grain, saturation, sharpness, etc... Experiment and figure out what you like, then buy a ton of it before it's discontinued, lol. (All of my favorite color films keep getting discontinued...)

Sounds like the professor needs to check with the lab technicians to make sure they know how to mix the chemistry properly (since classmates had the same thing happen).

There can be differences in film; I've never used Ultrafine. You could try another roll and when you develop it if the chemistry is mixed correctly and classmates' film turns out and yours doesn't then you might figure out if that type film is a good choice or not.

Today, I developed my negatives in the darkroom, and when the negatives were done drying I noticed they were kind of purple-ish.

I showed my professor and he had told me that the lab technician had screwed up the chemicals for developing.

That sounds like the you ether didn't fix the film long enough, some types of film take longer to fix then others. It could also be that the fixer is deep leaded or over used which can easily happen in a school lab.

I'm actually surprised (and a little worried) that a "professor" teaching film photography would not suspect the fixing if the negatives are purple. A simple google search on purple negatives will lead to lots of forum threads pointing to fixing being the cause.

As for the question you asked in your subject line the answer is most definitely YES

In the mean time, scan the negs and fix the white balance in photo shop.

The easiest way I know comes from Katrin Eastman: 1) make two copies of the original -control J, control J
2) un tick the original and first layer. highlight the third copy (copy level 1) and go to filter- blur- average
3) use the eyedropper tool and sample the result. You'll see one of the double squares on the left toolbar has changed to that color.
4) discard layer 1 copy and activate layer one
5) go to image-levels- then the middle eye-dropper and click on it
6) bring your cursor over to the square that changed to the average color and click on it.
7) compare the layer and the original. If you like what you have then you're good to go. If not then try blend modes, if you're still unhappy you're on your own. ;)

If you get it right in PS but you still have to wet print look up creating ink-jet negatives.

good luck

In my film days when I had my own dedicated dark room, no one, I mean NO ONE processed any film I could process and I always mixed my own chemicals. If you do every step in the process you own that process and the results, you own the successes and you own the Ahh-$#!%$.

Was this the first time you've ever used this film? If so, have another roll developed somewhere else or by someone else or using a different batch of chemicals. Maybe that's just how it "looks"?

Does other film developed in that batch of chemicals look the same?

You need to figure out if you did something wrong, the chemicals are bad, or that's just how that film looks after developing... Nevermind - sounds like you already have it figured out.

Yes - it matters which film you use. They're all a little different - grain, saturation, sharpness, etc... Experiment and figure out what you like, then buy a ton of it before it's discontinued, lol. (All of my favorite color films keep getting discontinued...)

Yes, this was the first I ever used this film.
Most of the films developed in the same batch do look the same as mine.

I'm pretty sure it was of badly mixed chemicals.

That sounds like the you ether didn't fix the film long enough, some types of film take longer to fix then others. It could also be that the fixer is deep leaded or over used which can easily happen in a school lab.

I'm actually surprised (and a little worried) that a "professor" teaching film photography would not suspect the fixing if the negatives are purple. A simple google search on purple negatives will lead to lots of forum threads pointing to fixing being the cause.

As for the question you asked in your subject line the answer is most definitely YES

After he found out that some of student's negatives were appearing purple, he went ahead and changed out all the chemicals and mixed up a new batch. He blamed it on the lab technician (who is sort of an apprentice to the professor) and ended up giving all of us a free roll of film to re-shoot the assignment.

Hm, what kinds of films should I be looking into and how I can tell which ones I should get?
Sorry, complete noob when it comes to buying film.

In my film days when I had my own dedicated dark room, no one, I mean NO ONE processed any film I could process and I always mixed my own chemicals. If you do every step in the process you own that process and the results, you own the successes and you own the Ahh-$#!%$.

Wish I could afford and even have the space to have my own dedicated darkroom.
Than again, my school offers their darkroom to students for free. Along with the necessary supplies: A darkroom to develop negatives, develop tanks, reels, 12 enlargers, contact sheet printer, lenses for the enlargers, practically anything you can think of. I only need to pay for my own photo paper and film. The rest is free. :D

Hm, what kinds of films should I be looking into and how I can tell which ones I should get?
Assuming we're talking strictly color film, I've always preferred Fuji. It just handles mixed lighting much better in my experience.

That said, you can't really go wrong with any of the "pro" films, you just have to be careful with mixed lighting using Kodak film (IMO). Anything too far from "daylight" will start to shift...

Buy a roll or two of whatever you can get, then just figure out which one you like best. Be sure to test them in different lighting conditions. Outside, indoors, mixed, etc...

Assuming we're talking strictly color film, I've always preferred Fuji. It just handles mixed lighting much better in my experience.

That said, you can't really go wrong with any of the "pro" films, you just have to be careful with mixed lighting using Kodak film (IMO). Anything too far from "daylight" will start to shift...

Buy a roll or two of whatever you can get, then just figure out which one you like best. Be sure to test them in different lighting conditions. Outside, indoors, mixed, etc...

I shoot only black and white but I'll keep those tips in mind!

My bad. For some reason I thought that was a color film, lol. Never used it before.

Most reactions

Back