Does film quality and type affect the image quality?

If there was a developing or fixer fault, the "problem" would be much more profound than a purple tint.

Nobody here except the OP has scene how "profound" the purple tint is.

I'm betting the fixer used was ether exhausted or mixed improperly. In a student lab with lots of people developing film it would be easy for the fixer to get exhausted.

Well its all supposition really, we can only post an opinion detailing what we think is most likely.

My guess is they're just tinted and will print/scan just fine, poorly developed, poorly fixed or both, won't.

Provided that this is a true b/w film, I personally cannot think of any situation that would cause a uniform purple stain resulting from improperly mixed chemistry. I could be completely wrong, but I just don't see how it's possible.

Not fixing long enough is the most common reason for purple negatives and therefor fixed that is too diluted would definitely give similar results to not fixing long enough.

Ahh yes, this is right. I was thinking developer - it's been a while since I processed film. Dilute fix would certainly cause this, and will eventually lead to fog. Print now while you can!

Provided that this is a true b/w film, I personally cannot think of any situation that would cause a uniform purple stain resulting from improperly mixed chemistry. I could be completely wrong, but I just don't see how it's possible.

Not fixing long enough is the most common reason for purple negatives and therefor fixed that is too diluted would definitely give similar results to not fixing long enough.

Ahh yes, this is right. I was thinking developer - it's been a while since I processed film. Dilute fix would certainly cause this, and will eventually lead to fog. Print now while you can!
And re-fix with fresh chemicals.

The OP seems to have already figured out that the chemistry that day in the darkroom which the students use wasn't mixed properly - all of their negatives were a purple tint. They were all provided with another roll of film to go shoot and start over...

I've used a shared darkroom which had students that would come in and mix and set up the chemistry for the evening after that day's classes. So we all used whatever was set up by whatever staff person or student monitor took care of it on any given day. In this case I don't know if they need to review their procedures with their student monitors or just chalk it up to human error - in a teaching darkroom where students are still learning.

If you want to try to keep any of the photos from the roll that was damaged you could look at the negatives on a light box and see if any would be worth trying to salvage. You could try a print from the negatives I suppose, not seeing them I don't know if the condition is good enough for that to be an option. If they're something you want to try and save then you could look into either scanning or having the negatives scanned. Is there someplace at or around the campus that provides access to a scanner or offers that service? If you don't know try asking the professor or your classmates.

I'd either get them scanned and save them for later (even if making adjustments to digital copies isn't an option right now it might be later on), or if the new roll turns out better maybe you won't want to save and use any from the first roll, especially if it was all shot around campus and you could go reshoot. There are places that offer restoration but it seems like you'll need to decide if what's on that roll is worth the time and trouble and expense of saving or restoring or if it's better to go ahead with your assignment and not worry about the first roll.

The OP seems to have already figured out that the chemistry that day in the darkroom which the students use wasn't mixed properly - all of their negatives were a purple tint. They were all provided with another roll of film to go shoot and start over...
What are you talking about, dear lady ? Negative was not damaged and there was not much wrong with chemicals. Mister professor didn't release, that this particular film needs longer fixing. That's all. BTW this pink hue is not an obstacle to print it correctly. And anyway, how you can mix incorrectly premixed chemicals ? Do you suspect over there they are mixing from components ? Even so, that will not cause the film to go pink. Pink is from undissolved antyhalation layer. It is dissolved in longer fix or in alcohol.

Update:

So it was the chemicals and they were mixed improperly!

I was able to develop a very clear and crisp negative today and make a great contact sheet!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back