Does going full time equal being "more legit"

photogirl2002

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am currently a part time child photographer, looking to go full time on my own. I have been working in the journalism/photo journalism field for 13 years (+) My question is, do you think someone looking for a child photographer would look more toward someone who does it as full time job versus someone who does it part time?

I don't do it part time because I make a lot of money at my first job. I do my first job because that's what my degree was in and it's where I've stayed. I would like to make photography my daytime job, but I do realize it is difficult.

I wonder, though, if clients would be more interested if I said "I'm a full time photographer" rather than "I do it on the weekends."

It's kind of like a mechanic or a doctor -- do you want to go to one who "just does it on the side?" I don't know....just a question. :(

Last edited:
IMO, if you have excellent work to show, full time or not, i dont think it makes a difference.

Dont advertise yourself as a full time or part time photographer. Advertise yourself as a photographer and book you shoot in the time you feel is good for you to shoot, even if its only on the weekend.

We are in the same boat. I can't quit my day job because i make too much money to flush that job and on the other side i cant do photography full time because i wont be able to pay my billls because i wouldnt be able to shoot 3-4 gigs a weeks right now because the demand is simply not there yet

Dont advertise yourself as a full time or part time photographer.

Agreed. Why would you even mention whether you are full or part time? You are a photographer. Period.

And if someone wants to book you on a day you are busy with your other job, just say "sorry, I'm booked on that day. How about Saturday?"

Just dont bull**** your clients. There is nothing wrong to say that you work 2 jobs.

Where in Pa are you from?

There is nothing wrong to say that you work 2 jobs.

Yes there is. A successful photog does not work two jobs. And the average customer wants a successful photog. Even if they are only paying $50 for the sitting and a few 8x10s...

But there is a big difference between bull****ing and not telling it all. There is no law, yet, that says we have to tell our entire life story to every customer.

Yes there is. "A successful photog does not work two jobs". And the average customer wants a successful photog. Even if they are only paying $50 for the sitting and a few 8x10s...

But there is a big difference between bull****ing and not telling it all. There is no law, yet, that says we have to tell our entire life story to every customer.

You are totally wrong. I know a couple successfull photographer who works 2 jobs. One is a paramedic (who was initially a cop) and the other one work in finance in my office and i am sure there are not the only ones

You might find all that booking a venue for a weekend and scheduling all of your sessions there for the week would be beneficial. Serves to give the impression that you are an established child portrait artist without having to devote all of your time to it.

Give it 2 hours per sitting and 5 a day for 20 sittings a week and only do it once a month or even two. This way you have 3 or 4 weekends a month for yourself and still get to shoot the kids. ;)

And at my local shop, renting gear is cheaper to rent for a full weekend from friday to monday morning than renting it for 1 week day. lovely.

Yes there is. "A successful photog does not work two jobs". And the average customer wants a successful photog. Even if they are only paying $50 for the sitting and a few 8x10s...

You are totally wrong. I know a couple successfull photographer who works 2 jobs. One is a paramedic (who was initially a cop) and the other one work in finance in my office and i am sure there are not the only ones

You added the bold and you added the quotation marks but you didn't get the irony? I guess you didn't read the rest of it... You must be too darn busy with your important job that keeps you from becoming a full time photog to notice the details that keep you from getting the shots that would make you a photog. Have I lost you?

Let me spell it out for you. It is not how I feel. I was talking from the customer's perspective.

People judge you on your portfolio. They don't care if you have degrees, work full time or part time, have a studio or don't have a studio, have certification, or whether you are buds with Rockstars. They only care about what you can bring to them.
And each of those prospective clients have indiviual wants and needs. They are going to ALWAYS choose the person who has a style they want, and a price they can afford, and that's about it.

Yes there is. A successful photog does not work two jobs. And the average customer wants a successful photog. Even if they are only paying $50 for the sitting and a few 8x10s...

What????????????? I know a ton of great photogs who work and make tons of money working a second job. Doesn't make them less of a photog.

You might find all that booking a venue for a weekend and scheduling all of your sessions there for the week would be beneficial. Serves to give the impression that you are an established child portrait artist without having to devote all of your time to it.

Give it 2 hours per sitting and 5 a day for 20 sittings a week and only do it once a month or even two. This way you have 3 or 4 weekends a month for yourself and still get to shoot the kids. ;)

Ok, I don't get (and have never gotten) the whole "impression" deal. I've seen this more times than I can say, and it NEVER works. Let me put it this way.....having a jazzy studio, does not a photography success make. Being a great photog working in an overgrown field gets tons of clients. You can only impress potential clients with your photos. They really don't give a rat about "impressions". In fact sometimes going all jazzy can turn them off because they wonder about how much of their money is going to "impressing" them. I pitch against that constantly. It's easy to get them out of the ether on that one.

Ok, I don't get (and have never gotten) the whole "impression" deal. I've seen this more times than I can say, and it NEVER works. Let me put it this way.....having a jazzy studio, does not a photography success make. Being a great photog working in an overgrown field gets tons of clients. You can only impress potential clients with your photos. They really don't give a rat about "impressions". In fact sometimes going all jazzy can turn them off because they wonder about how much of their money is going to "impressing" them. I pitch against that constantly. It's easy to get them out of the ether on that one.
Yes and no. It really depends on your clientele. For example, when you walk into a Mercedes dealership...it's usually pretty s****y and makes a good impression. People who already expect to be spending a lot of money, likely appreciate the good impression. But of course, many people are on the other side of the spectrum and might be put off by any perceived extravagance.

Most reactions

Back